Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 million shots

How to get cred hipster barista...

This Naples guy is 60 years in and 12 million shots later....

That's what I call a barista... It's in Italian, but I'm sure you'll get the idea...

http://video.repubblica.it/edizione/.../102861/101241

Very nice; very humbling.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
      How to get cred hipster barista...

This Naples guy is 60 years in and 12 million shots later....

That's what I call a barista... It's in Italian, but I'm sure you'll get the idea...

http://video.repubblica.it/edizione/.../102861/101241

The math is interesting:

12,000,000 shots in 60 years = 200,000 shots per year

Assuming he works 48 weeks per year (4 weeks of holidays) that would mean 4166.667 shots per week

Assuming a 40 hour work week that would mean 104.1667 shots per hour, or one shot every 35 seconds, per working hour over 60 years

Comment

It doesn't leave much time for toilet breaks.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
          It doesn't leave much time for toilet breaks.

Barry
          You never heard of a drip tray?

Comment

Unlike most home barista's he uses a 3 group machine. He has 42 cups lined up in front of him. So, I don't think he'd have trouble pulling 6, let alone 1 shot, in 35 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post
              Unlike most home barista's he uses a 3 group machine. He has 42 cups lined up in front of him. So, I don't think he'd have trouble pulling 6, let alone 1 shot, in 35 seconds.
              On a lever machine... with dosing and tamping to do as well...?

Comment

In any event... he's been at it a very long time and pulled a heap of shots. Kudos to him!

And... speaking of math... given that a standard Italian shot uses 7 grams of coffee, he has gone through a phenomenal 84,000kg of coffee!

Comment

Agreed,

Doser grinder and probably 98% espresso. Be it 6 mill or 12 mill, 60 years is one heck of a lot of coffee.

Comment

At the end of the video, you can see the machine is a 4 group. Nevertheless, what an achievement. I love the professionalism, the attire and the culture.
                    Personally I would prefer to visit an establishment where the barista is washed, clean shaven, groomed and wearing an ironed shirt. The bowtie is a nice touch. The same preference extends to restaurants and chefs.
                    Nothing wrong with the good old European pride and satisfaction in their relevant professions.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                      Here is another video of an espresso bar in Napoli, with a 4 group lever. They can certainly pump out the coffee:

RAPIDO - YouTube

Comment

On the Francino site , they rate their 2 group commercial lever machine for 360 shots ( espresso) per hour.
                        ...but only 210 if you are making capp's !
                        ...so if you are using a 4 group..????

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                          On the Francino site , they rate their 2 group commercial lever machine for 360 shots ( espresso) per hour.
                          ...but only 210 if you are making capp's !
                          ...so if you are using a 4 group..????
                          I have no doubt the machine is capable of said number of shots per hour but I doubt the human interface would be able to keep up.

Comment

I have no doubt the machine is capable of said number of shots per hour but I doubt the human interface would be able to keep up.
                            It's very possible that he would work more than a 40 hr week Does the shot count include two per pull also?

Cool share!

Comment

Originally posted by timmyc View Post
                              It's very possible that he would work more than a 40 hr week Does the shot count include two per pull also?

Cool share!
                              Asking a European to work more than a 40 hour week usually results in General Strikes and rioting!

Comment

Working...
                              X