The question of shot volumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The question of shot volumes

I'm confused a little by this. I know I should be guided by taste, but I'm curious how everyone else is having their coffee...

Here's how I have mine. I make a cappuccino for my dad every morning and a piccolo for myself. I use a double basket and spout and pull a shot 18-19g of coffee shot, both spouts pouring into the one cup, cutting it off at the 22-23s mark before it turns blond at all (still brown). I do this for both drinks I prepare. I.e. pull 2X18g shots. No coffee is let to flow into the drip tray.

My questions are... Is this a double ristretto? If I let the shot end in the usual 28-30s or when it blonds or longer??. Is that a double shot the should end up in 2 cups? But if I do that the resulting coffee and milk tastes too weak for me. I have seen another friend prepared a piccolo for me using the same BDB machine with letting the other spout drip into the tray and it was ok as a piccolo. Didn't ask if he used a triple shot basket or timed his shot.

What do you guys do? What are your shot ratios for cappuccino and piccolo? I'm curious...

Originally posted by brokenvase View Post
    I have seen another friend prepared a piccolo for me using the same BDB machine with letting the other spout drip into the tray and it was ok as a piccolo.
    =(( drinkable coffee down the drain?

i do something very similar to you and find that really suits my palate. from the little knowledge i have, it does sound very much like a double ristretto to me but the timing is also influenced by your grind.... so i guess it isnt the most sensitive of measurements? what kind of volumes are you pouring? =) im doing 40mls on 16g of coffee from poured into one cup and filling it up with approx 60mls of milk when not having an espresso.

Comment

Originally posted by timdimdom View Post
      =(( drinkable coffee down the drain?

i do something very similar to you and find that really suits my palate. from the little knowledge i have, it does sound very much like a double ristretto to me but the timing is also influenced by your grind.... so i guess it isnt the most sensitive of measurements? what kind of volumes are you pouring? =) im doing 40mls on 16g of coffee from poured into one cup and filling it up with approx 60mls of milk when not having an espresso.
      That is pretty much what i have settled on for my taste when i fire up the machine.... usually 16 - 17g coffee aim for 40 - 45ml in around 28s.
      Any more than 60 - 80ml of milk for me and it gets a too milky and i loose the "coffee"

Comment

The 18 gm of grinds, pulled for shorter volume or shorter time (big disagreements here) is a doppio ristretto.

My doppio ristrettos go into a 90 ml cup that is topped up with steamed milk (when a milk drink is wanted). As Steve says, more milk and I lose the coffee.

Greg

Comment

My questions are... Is this a double ristretto?
          I think so...

This is also my favourite way to make a latte

Comment

Hmm... I just bought proper piccolo latte glasses (100ml) and Di Bella incasa cappuccino cups (can't afford the ACF ones). And because the volumes are a tad less than what we're used to. The drink tasted almost too empowering now! 40ml with 60ml of milk in a piccolo taste way stronger than what I get at my usual cafe. I'll experiment with 18g 60ml shots into 2 cups one cap and one piccolo tomorrow and see if that'll taste less empowering.

Comment

Hmm... I just bought proper piccolo latte glasses (100ml) and Di Bella incasa cappuccino cups (can't afford the ACF ones). And because the volumes are a tad less than what we're used to. The drink tasted almost too empowering now! 40ml with 60ml of milk in a piccolo taste way stronger than what I get at my usual cafe. I'll experiment with 18g 60ml shots into 2 cups one cap and one piccolo tomorrow and see if that'll taste less empowering.
              That's basically what I do with my 90ml Province glasses, and the result tastes pretty good to me. Hard to get latte art in those little suckers though!
              I've a tenancy to stop my milk drink shots a little shorter & darker than I use for short or long black but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by WiredArabica View Post
                That's basically what I do with my 90ml Province glasses, and the result tastes pretty good to me. Hard to get latte art in those little suckers though!
                I've a tenancy to stop my milk drink shots a little shorter & darker than I use for short or long black but that's just me.
                So which one do you do again? 18g into 40ml 2 spouts in one cup or 18g into 60ml making 2 cups?

Comment

One of the spouts from the double basket - couldn't tell you the weight as I dose by eye & it depends on the machine. Shot in each one ~25ml, depends a bit on the bean really. I sometimes cheat a bit and actually use the volumetric pour (which I program to 50ml), all personal pref when it comes to that.
                  Sometimes I do the whole double, still maybe 50ml, just for something different. And sometimes, actually fine up the grind a little for a tight ristretto pour of perhaps 45ml.
                  So many ways to get so many different flavours ...

Comment

Originally posted by WiredArabica View Post
                    So many ways to get so many different flavours ...
                    That's it WA, you have nailed it!
                    It's all about personal experiences/preference in achieving a result that gives you that "ahhh... yes" feeling on the taste buds.

Comment

Working...
                    X