Time to give it away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to give it away!

Im afraid Im about to throw in the towel. Ive had enough.

I make crap espresso. I have not yet managed to make a good cup - or a drinkable cup in the two years Ive been trying.

It all goes down the sink.

I think I wasted my money buying a better grinder and a better espresso machine (not a good one by Choice (tm) standards. The coffee is no better and Ive spent a lot of money for nowt.

Wait, thats not strictly true. Ive managed to take up a lot of usable space on the kitchen benches.

My local coffee shops make better coffee than me.

Ron

Re: Time to give it away!

Ron,

I suggest that its probably time for some training. Youll be amazed at how much difference a good course can make

2mcm

Comment

yep - I am not sure where you are but invest in a course. I am sure 2mcm can help you out.

You are probably just missing something basic and will be fine. You will get there.

Good luck.

Comment

just a tad more money! 8-)
        I found a course to be very beneficial.
        I really had no idea- but a whole day with your own machine and a helping hand WILL make a great difference.
        Then all the money and time will be worth it... It will eb a learning curve with an outcome that lasts a life time rather than a learning curve that ended as a wild goose chase!
        RH :-/

Comment

Ron,

hang in there.
          I agree with the others.
          Find a course where you can take your own machine.

I know youve been to Di Bartoli.
          Ask Renzo when hes planning the next course.

Hazel will be teaching it and I think shes brilliant.

Comment

I was checking out the Di Bartoli website the other day and they also do onsite training which may help you even more.

I wouldnt throw in the towel until you get a chance to do a course though. Domestic machine courses are not a whole lot of money and gives you a chance to have someone help you on your own machine.

Worst case scenario at the end of the course if you still dont want to pursue the home espresso gig you might find a potential buyer at the course

I doubt it though I am sure you will love the improvement a course gives.

Comment

Stay the course, do a course, but dont grind your beans too coarse. Ill say it over until Im hoarse, crappy coffee will end in divorce, the power of espresso is a mighty force!
              You are part of the snobs brotherhood and there is no walking away, speak to the Don (2mcm) or one of his consiglieri (sponsors or mods) and Im sure theyll make you an offer you cant refuse. Do not allow your beloved machine to sleep with the fishes! You dont want a visit from Luca, do you?

Comment

Sounds like Bart is "rapped" in the whole coffee thing!

-Robusto

Comment

^^LOL! @ Bart! Good one...

Stick with it Ron. We all get there in the end! You might feel alone out there in the real world, but all your fellow CSrs are gunning for you! If you feel up to spending just that bit more money, it would be definitely worth your while to go the course.

And you are buying freshest of beans too arent you? I mean youre not just buying supermarket (or as someone else here called it "stupidmarket") beans are you.

Comment

Love the reply, Bart! ;D

Yes, Im buying fresh, Scoota Gal (are you on the scooter thread on the Two Wheels forum?). Ive given up roasting my own.

Ive not turned the espresso machine on in the past couple of weeks. Im so disgusted with it all.

I plan to do a course shortly although I am tempted to cut my losses and give up.

I think of all the coffee Ive put through the machine, I may have had one or two reasonable cups. Most went down the sink.

My espresso really is bitter and undrinkable. It could be, of course, that I have no idea what an espresso should taste like.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by p38arover link=1168611635/0#9 date=1169867223
                      Yes, Im buying fresh, Scoota Gal (are you on the scooter thread on the Two Wheels forum?).
                      Only if theyre talking about me there! LOL! I do moderate at Aussie Scooters though.

Scooters and coffee seem to go hand in hand!

Originally posted by p38arover link=1168611635/0#9 date=1169867223
                      My espresso really is bitter and undrinkable. It could be, of course, that I have no idea what an espresso should taste like.

Ron
                      Of course, that could be it as well!

Comment

Okay, now I think I get what is happpening here. You can try the following. Contact one of the site sponsors that you can get to and ask if they can teach you a little about how the different types of coffee tastes and do some tasting (you need to arrange to pay them a visit). Explain your problem that you are having and I am sure one will be able to help.

I do not know where you are living so I cannot make a recommendation.

What sort of coffee so you usually have when you go out???

If you are having milk coffees, my guess is that you are getting a single shot of coffee and with your machine you are using the double basket, giving you a double shot (in simple terms) so a much stronger coffee, which your palette is freaking out about.

Try a wee bit of sugar, many here will shout at me for suggesting this, but a little bit takes the over bitter edge off the coffee. I usually have sugar with my cofee and I also use milk (a double sin to some). I do not use a lot of sugar, but I use a bit as I am not a huge fan of overly bitter cofee.

Personally, I dont think you are doing anything wrong.
                        Also I think it is great that you have come on here asking questions.

I hope this all helps you a bit.

Comment

I concur with the others, invest in some training.

Dont avoid training thinking its a waste of money and youre better off learning on youre own, some things you need to be taught and the expertise and critical eye of an expert can help a lot.

Its a small investment to make to get the enjoyment you want out of your machine & grinder.

Comment

Ron,

last time I went to Di Bartoli, Renzo made me an espresso.

I dont normally drink them, flat white is my choice.
                            But I was brought up on Greek coffee so I can drink it without too much trouble.

However, it was my intention on this occasion to judge my own shots against his.
                            Outcome - mine are OK.

Maybe you could do the same; have either Renzo or someone else you trust, to make you an espresso to use as a yardstick for yours.

Comment

Ron,

Im also starting to wonder how sweet you feel a good espresso should be....

I was trying to think of something else which is a similar sweetness - and high cocoa chocolate >>70% comes to mind. I find it sweet (and really enjoy it) yet others (dare I say those with a "sweet tooth") are amazed I can even eat the stuff- its just so bitter !!

Yep, maybe time for some taste comparisons....

Comment

Working...
                              X