Coffee cup grate to protect machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee cup grate to protect machine?

When I was in the UK, it was easy to get plastic cup grid from catering supply shops and cut it to size to put in the cup tray on top of a coffee machine, to protect the stainless steel from scratches. The stuff was used in bars, with the grid separated into roughly 1cm squares. I can't seem to find it in Australia. I'm looking for this, or any other alternatives to lay in the cup tray. I saw a silicone mat awhile back and can't find it again. That's another alternative...if I could only find it. Can anyone help?

Originally posted by GMG View Post
    When I was in the UK, it was easy to get plastic cup grid from catering supply shops and cut it to size to put in the cup tray on top of a coffee machine, to protect the stainless steel from scratches. The stuff was used in bars, with the grid separated into roughly 1cm squares. I can't seem to find it in Australia. I'm looking for this, or any other alternatives to lay in the cup tray. I saw a silicone mat awhile back and can't find it again. That's another alternative...if I could only find it. Can anyone help?
    Like these? Talk Coffee — Espresso Skinz

Comment

I don't care a bout a few scratches on top of the machine.
      Shows it's been used and loved.

Each to their own.

Comment

David8 - That's the mat! Thanks for this. I see the size isn't square, so not quite what I'm after. Attached are pics of the stuff I currently use. I'm planning ahead as I'm thinking of upgrading and thought I'd let the grid that I've got with my current machine go and cut to whatever size I'd need for the new machine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3206.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	732965Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3205.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	732966

Comment

I found a solution at the kitchenware section of the Reject Shop about 12 months ago. It is a grid design in a woven material similar to thick cotton. It is heat resistant and can be washed. From memory I think it can go in the dishwasher. I just cut mine with scissors to fit the top of my Giotto PP. About $5.00.

Comment

hey meanz would you be able to get a pic of that up?

Comment

Coffee cup grate to protect machine?

Meanz, does it allow enough heat through to effectively heat the cups?

Comment

It lets the heat through and gives total protection to the surface of my machine. It is some kind of heavy cotton-like material. Evey now and then I throw it in the sink and give it a wash.

I am in Perth cbd today so will swing by the shop I bought it from and see if they still have them and post more details.

Comment

lol get me some too and i'll come collect it from you haha
                  I'm in perth too :P

Comment

lemoo check your PM's.

Comment

replied

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod View Post
                        I don't care a bout a few scratches on top of the machine.
                        Shows it's been used and loved.

Each to their own.
                        I've been accused of being a bit of a maniac about care and maintenance!

Comment

Originally posted by GMG View Post
                          I've been accused of being a bit of a maniac about care and maintenance!
                          It's funny how people don't care yet if you browse the 'for sale' section people always like to say no scratches etc. I'm by no means paranoid but I did get the silicon skin linked above. A bit expensive but nice to stop machine getting scratched IMO.

Comment

i got silver polish to polish my giotto :S
                            lol

Comment

Originally posted by DavidW1960 View Post
                              It's funny how people don't care yet if you browse the 'for sale' section people always like to say no scratches etc. I'm by no means paranoid but I did get the silicon skin linked above. A bit expensive but nice to stop machine getting scratched IMO.
                              True! And one of the unintended benefits of the plastic grid (aside from protecting the SS) is that it's easy to slide the grid out, with cups on top and access the water tank. That way I don't have to lift the cups off when topping up the reservoir.

Comment

Working...
                              X