Vietnam becomes worlds largest coffee exporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnam becomes worlds largest coffee exporter

Vietnam has surpassed Brazil to become the largest coffee exporter in the world.

According to the International Coffee Organisation, the country sold 800,000 kilograms of coffee in the first six months of the year, 14% more than Brazil.

Java " BBC News - Vietnam becomes world's largest coffee exporter " phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

800,000 kilos, 95% Robusta.
    So where does 760,000 kilos of robusta go?

Greg

Comment

Instant coffee mostly.

Comment

Shouldn't that be 800,000 TONs in 6 months ?
        ....800 tons doesnt seem a great deal ?
        I thought Brazil exports over 100,000 tons per month.

Comment

I think the 800,000 figure was bags not kilos (ICO always quotes exports as 60kg bags). Brazil is somewhere around 250,000 tonnes a month which adds up to 3 billion kilos a year (that's US billion not UK billion)... or 3,000,000,000kg
          At a couple of kilo per tree that's a heck of lot of fruit picking too.

Comment

Even at 800,000 bags..that would still only be 48,000 Tonnes, or 8,000 tonnes per month. !
            .. Still not anywhere near Brazils output.
            It must be 800,000 Tonnes in 6 months ?

Comment

It was 6 months... that was my point.

from the first post...
              According to the International Coffee Organisation, the country sold 800,000 kilograms of coffee in the first six months of the year, 14% more than Brazil.
              ...I think the 800,000 figure was 60kg bags not kilos

Comment

But Andy that is still only 48,000 tonnes ! in 6 months !
                ..... Brazil is somewhere around 250,000 tonnes a month

Comment

Per the ICO (http://www.ico.org/prices/m3.htm) from February to July 2012 Vietnam exported 14,275,000 60kg bags of coffee while Brazil exported 12,566,677 60kg bags.

I have no idea where the BBC got that 800,000 figure from. No matter how I work the numbers reported by the ICO I don't see 800,000 anywhere.

Java "Going to the source" phile

Comment

14,275,000 x 60kg = 856500 tons. BBC probably meant 800,000 tons, not 800,000 kg

Comment

Yeah that was the only way I got anything near their 800,000. And given that they appeared to use the Jan-June figures rather than the Feb-July figures currently available it's far and away the most likely explanation.

Yet another example of a stupidly simple math error by the worlds media.

Java "Edumakation? We don't need no steenkin edumakation!" phile

Comment

Working...
                      X