grinder setting for different brew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grinder setting for different brew

I have a Mazzer Mini Electric and it is set to one or two step before 4 as I mostly drink latte, recently I have collected few more toys , a Hario woodneck, a Hario Syphon and a french press it would be a waste just having them sitting in the cupboard I want to put them to use but no sure what grind setting is right for them, someone might post the same question before on this forum can someone point me to the right direction. Thanks

a setting (number) isn't really going to help you. You need to adjust, grind a small portion out, and inspect it in your hand for coarseness for brew method. Aim for a medium coarseness for filter brewing (syphon, woodneck, etc). Experiment!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM View Post
      a setting (number) isn't really going to help you. You need to adjust, grind a small portion out, and inspect it in your hand for coarseness for brew method. Aim for a medium coarseness for filter brewing (syphon, woodneck, etc). Experiment!
      I wonder if anyone has posted a photo comparing espresso to plunger to aeropress to syphon to cold brew etc. Of course there will be variations in each, but surely it'd be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by David8 View Post
        I wonder if anyone has posted a photo comparing espresso to plunger to aeropress to syphon to cold brew etc. Of course there will be variations in each, but surely it'd be helpful.
        I'm sure you might find a pic somewhere but I don't think such a pic will help.

Just like JamesM's comment about not relying on a number, it really is only experience that will get you there. Pick a starting point on your grinder and work from there. Then adjust the grind and/or hone your technique. If you find a sweetspot for a bean you will use often for that technique, you could record it for future reference. eg. keep a notebook or stickytape a piece of paper to the grinder body with a list of favourite beans and your settings for the brew of choice.

Comment

Working...
        X