How much ground coffee for a double shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much ground coffee for a double shot

All you'd think I know better BUT does anyone weigh there ground beans prior if so what weight do younusevas I've seen 14 grams & 9 grams mentioned.

Originally posted by Noel View Post
    All you'd think I know better BUT does anyone weigh there ground beans prior if so what weight do younusevas I've seen 14 grams & 9 grams mentioned.
    Depends on the size of the basket and type of machine Noel, I use an 18 gram LaMarzocco basket in a Bezzera machine and it just so happens that 18 grams clears the shower screen nicely using the 5 cent piece test,
    (Correct depth of the coffee puck is a whisker away from the shower screen at lock in" suggest you try the 5 cent piece test, fill the porta filter, tamp and place 5 cent piece in the centre top then lock PF in, if the coin is pushed into the coffee reduce the dose a little, the object is to have a gap between the tamped coffee and shower screen approx the thickness of the 5 cent piece.
    Yes, I weigh my beans for every shot, I start with a clean grinder and empty hopper, weigh out 18 grams, dump into hopper, when finished grinding brush any bean debris into burrs from throat of hopper, dose, brush doser clean with small paint brush.
    Sounds time consuming, it's not, I can complete the task quicker than it's taken me to type this sentence (no smart remarks about being a slow typist please) others disagree with weighing, it works fine for me and gives me a high degree of repeatability, of course it wouldn't be practical in a commercial situation.
    Good luck with your journey.

Comment

If you're going to grind the coffee, then weigh it, then get it into the filter basket you will know precisely how much stale coffee you have for your extraction. I don't mean to offend you but I think that type of procedure might be counter productive. After all, I'm guessing you're not measuring to the ml how much water you're using for the extraction?

Lighten up - enjoy your coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post
        If you're going to grind the coffee, then weigh it, then get it into the filter basket you will know precisely how much stale coffee you have for your extraction. I don't mean to offend you but I think that type of procedure might be counter productive. After all, I'm guessing you're not measuring to the ml how much water you're using for the extraction?

Weighing works fine for me Dennis, as I said others will disagree, the process is fast, simple and the results speak for themselves.
        Having said that, I never used to weigh when I had the Silvia and was pretty happy with the brew I produced, guess things change.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post

Ahh i feel better hearing these words, Lighten up - Enjoy your coffee. I read around the posts on here and start to think should i be weighing my ground coffee before extraction? Then i stop and think im consistent in what i do and the coffee i make taste nice to me and mainly my partner she likes it too.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeechris View Post
            Ahh i feel better hearing these words, Lighten up - Enjoy your coffee. I read around the posts on here and start to think should i be weighing my ground coffee before extraction? Then i stop and think im consistent in what i do and the coffee i make taste nice to me and mainly my partner she likes it too.

Kinda like "Don't worry be happy" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU

Comment

I think many of us may have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and coffee is the perfect addiction to feed our need to analyse and measure everything that isn't nailed down. If you find that type of behaviour enhances the coffee experience for you, well and good. On the other hand, if you are as you describe, making coffee that both you and your partner enjoy, then that is what is most important.

I'm sure that over time you'll modify your technique or make other changes then realise your standards and level of satisfaction have changed. And I bet you that on that day it won't be because you're adding half a gram more coffee, or relying on a gauge that someone said is necessary for you to know what tastes right to you.

Comment

I have a 'weighing routine', but purely for diagnostic purposes (I dose volumetrically). I grind into basket in naked portafilter, settle, tamp, then weigh the whole thing on my large digital scales (takes about 3 seconds). Put heated cup on scales and tare. Lock in portafilter and pull the lever, put cup under in portafilter, and when the extraction is finished, weigh the cup.

If I get a cup that tastes a bit different (good/bad) I have a source of info on possible causes (i.e. for a given bean, my volumetric dose might have slipped slightly......or maybe i'm extracting a bit more brewed coffee than normal).

Comment

If you have a set routine with filling and tamping you will find that on most occasions you will be within .03g in the basket. l did some weight tests on a random basis and - (yes I am anal about how I fill the basket and tamp) I found I was within the .03gms of 20gms each time. I am happy with that.

Comment

My head hurts just reading about some of the 'routines' some people seem to think they need to go through to make a decent cup of coffee. I will take a 'free range' coffee made by a coffee artisan with a passion and feel for what they are doing over any coffee made by a 'technician' with OCD. A coffee made with love will beat cookie cutter coffees any day of the week.

Comment

I must admit as much as i don't want to stress perfecting it down to grams of coffee, i have found so much valuable information on this forum from the should do's and should not do's of making coffee. Like many things in life we can take on all the information and learn from it and add your own little twist to it so it suits you to how you like it. Coffee is one of the things which have many variables.

Comment

Lots of argy bargy here from them dumping on us that weigh, but not much from the "artiste's" addressing Noel's original question.
                        Come on people.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                          Lots of argy bargy here from them dumping on us that weigh, but not much from the "artiste's" addressing Noel's original question.
                          Come on people.
                          It was a two part question and I chose to address the first part... and I think I would prefer to leave the role of Reply Police to the Mods

Comment

I dose 22-24g (depending on the coffee and roast level) in my tripple basket when using a double spout to make two milk drinks ,using cups which hold a total of 140ml each , using cups any larger and the drink becomes to milky for my taste.

Comment

I may have helped take this a little off track, to give Noel my opinion in simple terms. I dose by sight and I dont weigh the beans prior to grinding or after grinding.

Comment

Working...
                              X