Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New $10,000 coffee machine

The $10,000 coffee machine

"Do you like coffee? Ever had a cup from a machine that costs about $10,000? Now's your chance... It's the best cup you've ever had - guaranteed."

Blossom's pitch attracted throngs of conference-goers from venture capitalists to budding entrepreneurs and reporters hoping to taste its "insanely great" cup of coffee.

The portable machine behind the brew was built from scratch in a San Francisco warehouse for hardware startups by mechanical engineers and industrial designers with experience working at technology namesakes like NASA, Apple, Tesla, and BMW.

The founders set out to see if they could deploy hardcore science and engineering to outdo hand-crafted brews.

Their invention, the Cafe1, precisely controls brewing time and temperature to the point where "drastically" different cups of coffee can be elicited from the same beans.

The machine includes a QR barcode scanner and wi-fi connectivity so roasters can place an internet link on their bags which will be recognised to identify the best way to brew each mix of beans.

The first limited production run is just 10 machines which will sold for $11,111. These are aimed at commercial establishments as opposed to consumers.

Jeremy Kuempel, president of Blossom Coffee, acknowledged the price could preclude his dream of "making excellent coffee available to everyone".

But he asserted it would pay for itself within a year of consistent use.

"Blossom Coffee is about more than one machine," he said.

"We are committed to bringing our technology to more accessible levels."

And in the future, he added, "you might be seeing a new price."
    Source: BBC News - Silicon Valley's hottest start-ups vie for attention

Makers website: Blossom Coffee | Better Brewing Through Technology

Java "Things that make you go hhhmmmmm...." phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Biggest bunch of bull dung I have ever read. No in depth description of what it does and why it is "drastically" better. Just a load of typical silicon valley marketing tripe. I wonder if the engineers they employed were the recipients of redundancy packages and came together out of sheer boredom. No proof of hardcore science, but loads of hardcore insanity.
    Will they give a money back guarantee if the coffee is not the best I have ever had??????

Comment

the sad thing to remember is also that a large proportion of people wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a good or bad coffee. others even think bad coffee 'is what coffee is meant to taste like'

reminds me of an online review i read not long ago of a new cafe here in perth with 'i ordered a coffee here today, and it tasted like water. never going back' - yet it seems that all the cafe cares about is the coffee and im wondering if the poor bugger ordered a brewed coffee and it didnt taste as burnt/stale/overextrated as he/she is normally used to tasting.

all that said, bosco, maybe the article just couldnt care less about the details?

Comment

Wifi connectivity - Monitor machine performance remotely - yeah, it's so useful to know what the espresso machine gets up to while you're not around.

Not that it's espresso of course, with a lever arrangement like that. It would appear to have about the same function as an aeropress (with a self filling brew chamber), and with a portafilter and I assume a metal filter basket.
        Hmm, there's an idea... Oh wait! Coava disk.

Just wait - it'll take off. Look at the number of people who have nespresso, and like it... Heh, it'd actually be an upgrade in that case!

Comment

Biggest bunch of bull dung I have ever read.
          maybe the article just couldnt care less about the details?
          Not that it's espresso of course, with a lever arrangement like that.
          Gees, what cynicism. You don't know exactly how the machine works nor have you tried it yet you already know it's crap? You wouldn't think they are trying to protect their intellectual property by not giving much details?

Perhaps wait until it is peer-reviewed by coffee professionals and have sampled a cup made from it before writing it off as a gimmick.

Comment

Well, we may not know it's crap, but some assumptions can be made from the info and pictures they've provided... That aside, I would love to be surprised.

Comment

Gees, what cynicism.
              I tend to agree but I expect it's the high price tag that attracted that initial reaction.

Cute idea. Similar USB memory stick stored "coffee roaster recommendation" devices have been used in the past to configure coffee machines but I don't know of one using QR codes.

The real gotcha here is that it uses a manual lever... regardless of the QR code information the down force pressure will be different for each user. If it had a servo driven plunger then maybe the QR code idea would produce similar in different locations.

I like the concept for a $500 machine.
              What was the price of this one?

Comment

haha the thing I find most intriguing is that they explicitly state "Easy to upgrade"...it's gotta make you wonder why they've said it...
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WiredArabica View Post
                  some assumptions can be made from the info and pictures they've provided.
                  Well you know what they say about assumptions.

My first impression of the appearance wasn't favourable (and I'm a fan of Bauhaus design) but I'm not going to jump to any conclusion about the quality of its output. No steam arm or hot water tap so it appears to be designed to prepare long blacks.

The Blossom One Limited

The real gotcha here is that it uses a manual lever...
                  ..and you would need to grind, dose, distribute and tamp.

Check out the designer's teapot:

Sorapot | Joey Roth

Comment

To quote Blossom:
                    “One Limited is so simple that anyone can learn to perfectly brew a cup of coffee in less than ten minutes.”

There is no grinder on or next to it or a mention about grinding, dosing or tamping that takes more than 10 minutes to learn how to do, so it may be a pod machine, an expensive one at that.

I think I will stick to my Breville Dual Boiler that cost a lot less, makes quite acceptable coffee and steams milk too.

Barry

Comment

There is too much bulldust and plain wrong statements in their pro mo material, to make me even begin to think that they know what they are doing.
                      Also i note they are careful not to call it an espresso machine....its more like a "mechanised Aeropress"
                      They are obviously "up themselves" to believe it is worth that asking price !

Comment

There is no talk about a grinding, dosing or tamping that takes more than 10 minutes to learn how to do, so it may be a pod machine, an expensive one at that.

It says "
                        - Accepts anystandard E61 Portafilter basket." One | Blossom Coffee

There is too much bulldust and plain wrong statements in their promo material
                        Marketing hype aside, I couldn't find any examples of "bulldust and plain wrong statement".
                        You can check the inventor's thesis online (for his BSc from MIT) by googling "optimizing the coffee experience Jeremy Kuempel". He appears to have thoroughly researched the concept of coffee brewing and yu can get a better idea of what he is trying to achieve. I'm well prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on any quality claims and I am looking forward to trying a brew from one of these machines one day.

Comment

Well.....if the purpose of the press release was to get people talking and to build awareness for something they may or may not actually have in the pipeline for future release so that when / if they ever release everyone will be all over it and talking it up hugely (as other manufacturers have done and are doing right at this time just take look around at some of the threads....), then it has been a very successful press release if nothing else.

Comment

While the price definately sounds exhorbitant for what it is, and yes it does seem more like a over-sized Aeropress, it's good to see some lateral thinking and risk taking, especially as I'm not having to pay for it. As E de Bono would say, it's not so much what it is but where it could lead to. If you discount all lateral thinking up front you miss out on opportunities for innovation. So it, or aspects of it, may evolve into something far more innovative, practical and acceptable, and which could end up improving what we use today.

GrahamK

Comment

.., I couldn't find any examples of "bulldust and plain wrong statement". .
                              well , for a start..
                              ..This unique sequence of events obviates the need for the noisy pumps that typically accompany advanced coffee equipment.
                              I think a few advanced lever m/c suppliers might argue that point for a start ..

Comment

Working...
                              X