Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A basic question: What is the difference of a latte and a strong latte?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A basic question: What is the difference of a latte and a strong latte?

Hi Guys,

I normally prepare a latte with 1 shot of espresso (12-14g). But the other day a friend of mine asked for a strong latte.. Just wondering, would that be just a double shot?

What is normally done when you ask for a latte around here? 1 or 2 shots?

Cheers!

ps: Sorry if this is a basic question... I normally drink cortados in my home

strong latte is a double shot. a Single shot is standard. Some cafes put a double ristretto, (double half shot) in take away coffee to increase the strength relative to the extra milk.

Comment

I was interested in your mention of a "Cortado". I had not heard that term before and had to Google it to find out that it is the Spanish/Latin American name for a Piccolo Latte. I occasionally get blank looks from staff when I order a Piccolo - it would be anyone's guess what I would get if I ordered a Cortado.
      Some people like a high milk to coffee ratio - I have friends who order a 500ml 'coffee' with one shot in it. If I could tolerate a lot of milk I would ask for a double shot, but I really just drink coffee for the pleasure - if I want a drink I have a glass of water.

Comment

not a basic question at all, and well answered in the first part of post number 2.

but .....I think I must be in the wrong forum because I normally drink vino rosso at home !

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
          I was interested in your mention of a "Cortado"...... .
          Ahhh yes, that brought back memories of a distant past in Spanish roadside breakfast cafe,..
          Truck drivers would pull in for breakfast, order their "Carajillo" ..smoke a "Ducados" and drive off again fully refreshed !
          "Carajillo" = Espresso with a shot of brandy !

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
            I was interested in your mention of a "Cortado". I had not heard that term before and had to Google it to find out that it is the Spanish/Latin American name for a Piccolo Latte. I occasionally get blank looks from staff when I order a Piccolo - it would be anyone's guess what I would get if I ordered a Cortado.
            Some people like a high milk to coffee ratio - I have friends who order a 500ml 'coffee' with one shot in it. If I could tolerate a lot of milk I would ask for a double shot, but I really just drink coffee for the pleasure - if I want a drink I have a glass of water.
            In some Latin American countries, a 'cortado' is essentially a flat white!

Comment

Ok guys, I am from Argentina so I guess I am supposed to know what a cortado is.

Basically, its a single or double shot of espresso (depending on the recipients) with 1/3 milk. Although some say it can be 1/2 milk, but honestly that would be more like a cafe con leche (milk with coffee).

you can have it in many different recipients: taza (porcelain cup), vaso (glass) and jarrito (small porcelain jug).

Its is a drink from Spain, but since Argentina was a spanish colony (long time ago), guess we inherited that!

Actually the word "cortado" would be "cut with"... so its coffee cut with a little milk.

What I found interesting is that in Argentina they stick to the espresso rules... 8g a single shot and 14 a double. I like it better here

Comment

I haven’t heard of a "Cortado" before.

When I started drinking macchiatos, due to me developing lactose intolerance, not many people selling coffee knew what they were or how to make them. Often I had to explain. Now at the places where I am game to order coffee they know what I want and often have macchiato on the menu.

Are we going to hear more about Cortados and Carajillos?

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
                  Are we going to hear more about Cortados and Carajillos?

Barry
                  If we do,.... it will only be in trendy "Spanish " themed cafe's.
                  Most of Aussie espresso culture is from Italian origin.

Comment

Another latin specialty coffee is " cafe con piernas" ! ...look it up

Comment

lol!

Well, I don't know.. but this is my 90 ml morning "cortado doble"... if it were in a small ceramic jug it would be a "jarrito"

Click image for larger version

Name:	20121003_082307.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	733065

Enjoy!

Comment

you could always order a long machiatto "topped up".

when I asked the hell that was and it was described to me it sounded like a Piccolo Latte with extra milk, so a latte, but sounds cooler

Comment

Originally posted by trentski View Post
                          you could always order a long machiatto "topped up".

when I asked the hell that was and it was described to me it sounded like a Piccolo Latte with extra milk, so a latte, but sounds cooler
                          Its a machiatto.. but with more milk... nothing compared to a latte though!

Comment

Originally posted by cherni78 View Post
                            Its a machiatto.. but with more milk... nothing compared to a latte though!
                            given that "machiatto" means marked or stained then a drink with more milk than a stain can't be considered a machiatto

Comment

When I order a salad roll I ask for "a hamburger with the lot, no meat. " (OK. I stole that from the Whitlams).

Comment

Working...
                              X