Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Beer Recipe Ideas

Anyone got a good coffee beer recipe?

I have decided at long last to put 2 things i love together in one glorious glass.

What could possibly go wrong?

I have a bottle of " Double Espresso" .."Premio Caffe Birra" Commercially made by Traditional Scottish Ales Ltd. 6% alcohol.
    Bought locally, but not tried yet !

Comment

A recepe for espresso stout: Homebrewing: Espresso Stout (INeedCoffee.com)

I like beer and I like coffee but I will continue to drink them separatly.

Barry

Comment

Young's Double Chocolate Stout (available in widget cans in Oz) has quite a distinct coffee-ish taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
          Young's Double Chocolate Stout (available in widget cans in Oz) has quite a distinct coffee-ish taste.
          Dont agree with this, your palate must have coffee on the brain, which would be completely understandable since this is a coffee forum. YDCS has a very fake cottees choc topping flavour that's about it. (not having a go at you personally)

There are plenty of Aussie micros experimenting with adding coffee to porter and stouts. Probably getting into the wrong time of year now, but if you can get to a decent bottle shop that has something along these lines that has been well handled / aged then you could be in for a treat.

I have a champagne sized bottle from Hunter brewing Co / potters brewery coffee porter that ive been sitting on. I cant remember the quantities, but they used local fresh roasted beans, cold brewed, strained and added straight to the fermenter. From the reading i have done this is the smoothest way to impart the coffee flavour.

I would suggest finding a stout or porter recipe that you are happy with or preferably brewed before, then start small, for a 23L batch say 150g of beans course grind, cold brewed for around 10hrs in 600ml of water. Strained and added to the fermenter a few days into the primary fermentation.

Comment

I think i have found something to experiment with,

A bit on the pricey side for 11.5ltrs but not a bad way to start. I have brewed these before from the malt shovel brewery and are not bad.

I hope to get my hands on at least one next week.

Steve, what is the process for cold brewed?

I have 2 fermenters so i can rack into the second fermenter after the "Krauzen" stage (Is this Right?). is this when i should add the coffee?

With straining the brew i might use some muslin just to make sure.

I hope to come up with a breakfast style beer to enjoy with my cereal during summer, but for some reason my wife doesn't understand!!
            Attached Files

Comment

For the cold brew, coarse grind, 20 - 25g of coffee / 100ml of water, steep for around 10h at ambient in Melb should be fine.

As i said start at lower end (150g coffee for 23L beer) and see how you like it, adjust next time.

For cold brew you want to add during active ferment (2-3days in) to account for anything undesirable living in / on the coffee, the active yeast should out compete it.
              To get around this you could bring your cold brew to 65 - 70C and hold it there for 10mins and that should pasteurize it, but i think this would change the flavour profile somewhat.

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve.

Sounds like you have done this before.

Comment

Might I suggest to any fellow snobs considering this; go all grain (or at least, a partial mash).

Canned beer syrup is like instant coffee (best left for VB drinkers).

The BIAB (brew in a bag) method offers a way into all grain brewing with a minimum of equipment (i.e. your kettle doubles as a mash tun)

I for one (as someone who's not particularly fond of stouts or rauchbiers) will be keeping these two hobbies separate...

Comment

This beer is one that helped Welcome to Surly Brewing Co. to be named the best beer/brewery in the US. It uses what is still one of the best beans I've ever tasted and to make it even better it's brewed via Cold Press/Process.

Coffee Bender

Coffee Bender refreshes like an iced-coffee, is aromatic as a bag of whole beans as satisfies like your favorite beer. The Surly brew team has developed a cold extraction process that results in intense coffee aromatics and flavor bringing together two of our favorite beverages. Your only dilemma will be whether to finish your day or start it with a Coffee Bender.
                    STYLE: Coffee flavored American Brown Ale
                    MALT: Pale Ale, Aromatic, Medium Crystal, Dark Crystal, Oats and Chocolate
                    HOPS: Columbus, Willamette
                    COFFEE: Guatemalan Finca Vista Hermosa Full City Roast
                    YEAST: English Ale
                    OG: 14º Plato
                    ABV: 5.5% v/v
                    COLOR: 45 ºSRM
                    IBU: 45

Java "In a word...YUM!" phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

The coffee added to the wort pre-ferment, or in the mash?

It would be interesting to know if caffeine has any interaction with the yeast.

Comment

Adding coffee to the mash won't achieve anything in the way of flavour, and the boil will drive off any aroma. I have had success adding espresso during fermentation, I've had good results adding it past high krausen, potential infection issues aside, there's less aroma lost to CO2 production.

I've got a stout on the go at the moment as was planning to add the coffee when I keg it just to see how it goes.

Comment

OK,
                          I Have found out that the home brew store does not stock malt shovel anymore.

I have purchased a can of "Mangrove Jacks, Tyneside Brown Ale"

My Plan is to make 23L, Once past high krausen put 11-12L into a second fermentor and add the coffee (Cold Brewed) through a strainer.
                          That way i can compare the two beers and decide if this is a good thing.

Thank all for the advice, i will let you know how this turns out in a few weeks.

Grant, keep us posted on how your brew turns out if you add coffee.

Cheers

Comment

Well the stout finished up and I racked it to the keg yesterday and added 300gm of espresso (Ethiopian Harrar Longberry). There seemed to be a very pleasant espresso aroma from a quick test pour, and balanced nicely with the dark malts - though I'll give it a few days to carbonate and see how it goes.

The recipe was as follows

Batch Size: 22.00 L
                            Boil Size: 27.18 L
                            Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
                            Estimated Color: 27.0 SRM
                            Estimated IBU: 30.6 IBU
                            Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
                            Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
                            ------------
                            Amount Item Type % or IBU
                            3.60 kg Pale Malt Barrett Burston (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.60 %
                            0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 9.83 %
                            0.22 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4.80 %
                            0.20 kg Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.37 %
                            0.11 kg Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.40 %
                            40.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 29.4 IBU
                            10.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
                            1.16 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
                            5.81 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
                            11.62 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
                            300.00 gm Espresso Coffee (Boil 0.0 min) Misc

Comment

Cold Brew is on the go now,

Planning to add 80g of coarse grind yirgacheffe to 11L of ale tomorrow morning,

**Important Question**
                              Can i use a empty Coffeesnobs bag as a strainer?

I have my Starter pack bag(no zipper!) ready to go.
                              If not i will head down to the shops tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X