Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold press/brewing: how do you guys take it and make it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold press/brewing: how do you guys take it and make it?

I've been doing this for a while using my French press. And was wondering how everyone else does it. Here's mine:

Coarse grounds. For drip type of grind. 1/4 grinds, 3/4 filtered cold or normal room temp water. Stir thoroughly. Cover with the plunger but don't plunge. Leave for 10, preferably 12 hrs. Plunge. Use another cloth or fine filter. Pour over that into storage container. Put in fridge. good for 2 weeks.

To make the drink, I personally like the nutty taste, so I make half coffee concentrate, 1/4 soy, 1/4 full cream milk. And sugar syrup to taste.

25g medium to coarse grind / 100ml water, left for 10h at ambient in french press / no press just covered in foil.

Press then run the resulting liquid through the Aeropress using a paper filter.

I think the coffee gets better after it has been in the fridge for a day or 2, only ever made enough to last a few days though.

I like it with some hot water added, makes the best long black for my tastes.

Great just with really cold milk and ice.

Comment

Cold press/brewing: how do you guys take it and make it?

Originally posted by Steve82 View Post
      25g medium to coarse grind / 100ml water, left for 10h at ambient in french press / no press just covered in foil.

Press then run the resulting liquid through the Aeropress using a paper filter.

I think the coffee gets better after it has been in the fridge for a day or 2, only ever made enough to last a few days though.

I like it with some hot water added, makes the best long black for my tastes.

Great just with really cold milk and ice.
      Running through the aeropress is an interesting idea. I might try that

Comment

So you brew at room temperature, and then stick it in the fridge? I will have to try that. I haven't got a brew that I've been happy with by brewing in the fridge. So I might try ambient temp. Also, Steve, have you compared the coava disk to the paper filters for cold press?

Comment

If you do a search you will find many tens of posts on this subject.

Java "CP fanatic" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by David8 View Post
            So you brew at room temperature, and then stick it in the fridge? I will have to try that. I haven't got a brew that I've been happy with by brewing in the fridge. So I might try ambient temp. Also, Steve, have you compared the coava disk to the paper filters for cold press?
            Yes ambient temps 15 to 25C. Im not sure how it would go in summer if it was stinking hot through the night? have not been there yet. There must be an optimal temp? I guess around 20C sounds good, so might do it in a temp controlled esky or ferment fridge in the future and experiment with times temps. But yeah i always store in the fridge after, SS jug covered with foil.

Yes have tried the coava disk once. I got a bit more body, stronger flavour a touch more gritty. I will probably try coava disk again at some stage but make my grind more coarse, i think it might have been too fine the first time.

Pressing it through the (rinsed boiling water) paper filter is ridiculously smooth though.

Comment

Look in the Manual Brewing section. When I helped find some topics for Andy to put in there I did a fairly comprehensive search at the time

Comment

Working...
              X