Melbourne's Most Expensive Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melbourne's Most Expensive Coffee

I was gob smacked to read this in the Herald Sun earlier this week. I suspect this is absolute profiteering from a situation and I know this is $100/kg green but at $25 a cup one seriously has to consider is one being taken for a ride. I've had the pleasure of tasting this geisha as a siphon and would I pay $25 a cup, no bloody way!

Here is part of the article:

'MELBOURNE'S most expensive coffee has been through a lot to earn its price tag of $25 a cup.

Brewed over four minutes, rather than the usual 30 seconds, the Don Pachi Geisha process resembles a school science experiment, with burners, instruments and chambers drip-feeding this top drop into the glass.'

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Meh..

Another slow news week combined with an organisation which will sell its soul in the pursuit of self promotion...

Betting they have sold precisely none of it.

Comment

Red Symons did a story on it as well.

Comment

How am i not surprised it was St Ali. haha. Even at $100/kg (roasted) it would cost $2 for beans for a cup (assuming 20g dose no wastage) so yeah massive rip off.

Although not as bad as every wine bar that sells wine for $15 a glass when it costs next to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Autti View Post
          How am i not surprised it was St Ali. haha. Even at $100/kg (roasted) it would cost $2 for beans for a cup (assuming 20g dose no wastage) so yeah massive rip off.

Although not as bad as every wine bar that sells wine for $15 a glass when it costs next to nothing.
          Can't quite get your condemnation of wine pricing. At $25 per cup of coffee, with the actual cost of beans being $2, you have a 1250% markup on the coffee. For your $15 glass of wine to be an even worse example of greedy markups, the bottle of wine would have had to cost less than $1.20... and, as someone who spent more than 2 decades in the wine trade, I can tell you that simply is not the case. A $15 glass of wine would usually be poured from a bottle with a wholesale cost of $20-$30 per bottle and therefore not quite in the same league at all

Comment

tell em they're dreamin at that price damn

no wonder I havn't set foot in there for a few years

5 or 6 bucks for a syphon brew yes I can go along with that but 25 bucks is taking the piss I think

Comment

though this seems a bit steep of a mark up @ $25, people really do need to accept that coffee is far too cheap. essential reading: Tim Wendelboe » Blog Archive » Coffee is cheap

i will happily pay more for quality. i wouldn't expect to get a decent glass of whiskey for less than <$10-15 so $7 for nice pour over is absolutely fine. on a $/mL basis, mecca were knocking out panama esmarelda geishas (la hacienda i think) as an espresso at the coffee festival earlier this year for $7 a pop which was truly decadent (and delicious....)

Comment

Rather than prattling on about some more of the same "Marketing" from St Ali/Salvatore I have had a little Twitter "Discussion" with him over this yesterday. Turns out it is actually 3 coffees by 3 methods of the same coffee. so a little over $8/cup although there is ZERO mention of that FACT.

Personally "Press Releases" written released and then printed verbatim by the modern LAZY Journalists deserve to be treated with nothing but scorn and if this was written to try create a headline and follow up Press then it does no one other than St Ali any Favours and even that is questionable to become known as having 'the most expensive coffee in Melbourne'

Personally this sort of BS is a turnoff to go to any of their venues or spend my $$ with them!

Comment

Now if the article had said that it would have piqued my interest

Comment

3 coffees for 25 bucks sounds a bit more realistic I think, though for that sort of money they would have to be nothing short of amazing

Comment

Originally posted by phrostyboi View Post
                      3 coffees for 25 bucks sounds a bit more realistic I think, though for that sort of money they would have to be nothing short of amazing
                      Three coffee's $25 It may well be the best brew in the whole history if the universe but I'm never going to find out, the sun will never rise on the day I pay $8.33 for a cup of coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                        ....., the sun will never rise on the day I pay $8.33 for a cup of coffee.
                        WOW ! .. them's fight'in words !
                        I would be surprised if you haven't already paid more than that at some up market restaurant,..but not realized it until the bill arrives !...I know i have.

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                          WOW ! .. them's fight'in words !
                          I would be surprised if you haven't already paid more than that at some up market restaurant,..but not realized it until the bill arrives !...I know i have.
                          Nope, never have, we don't order coffee when dining out, particularly in up market restaurants, it's invariably a big disappointment compared to what I can produce on the Bezzera.
                          Of course we do have our favourite cafe's, usually pay between $3.50 and $4.50, even then SWMBO pronounces my brew superior by far, perhaps she's just being diplomatic.

Comment

Re: Melbourne's Most Expensive Coffee

I visited Proud Mary last year and paid $12 for a Panama Don Pace Gesha syphon--I sat at the brewbar while Nolan offered me some grinds to savour and gave me a running commentary while doing the syphon, the resulting coffee was stunning and I had no qualms about paying the twelve bucks--it was a fine experience that I still vividly remember with a smile

Comment

Hehe, SWMBO - I had to look it up.

Keep in mind it isn't $8.33 for three espressos;

Originally posted by beanflying View Post
                              3 coffees by 3 methods of the same coffee.
                              Could be an espresso, syphon & drip

On the topic of expensive coffees - I know I paised somewhere over 10 euro at the oldest cafe in Venice in San Marco's square but technically it is a cover charge for the live music

Comment

Working...
                              X