Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long black

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Long black

    Hi all just would like if someone could clarify for me what's the correct way to make a long black. ATM I'm making it in a cappucino mug 190 ml, fill the mug 2/3 water from my machine, then top up with the extracted brew, is this correct? Also I'm making a milk base coffee in a espresso cup, have a shot of brew then top it off with heated milk, what is this called?

    Cheers
    Kike

  • #2
    Hi Kike, yes your long black is correct, hot water first then 60ml of espresso on top (a double shot)
    your small milk base would be a Piccolo Latte (mini latte) assuming it has a small amount of froth with the milk

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Logar, thanks for info. So it's a Piccolo latte then, yeah it has froth.

      Cheers

      Comment


      • #4
        Long black

        Here is an example of a piccolo mate. Sometimes it's made with just a ristretto rather than a full shot.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356598981.994467.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	733433

        Comment


        • #5
          Nice glass mw.

          Comment


          • #6
            I always hated long blacks and prefer other filter brew methods for black coffee... until I visited a well known Perth espresso bar on Howard St and the owner served me one up, knowing I like filter brews... it blew me away, it was actually nicer than the same coffee on v60 pour over.

            Some people just know how to nail coffee on specific brew methods (or perhaps even all brew methods)!

            Re-kindled my love for no-milk espresso based drinks.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks chokkidog! got 6 of them from santa!

              Comment


              • #8
                My method of making a long black differs from the norm.
                I grind coarser than I would for a shot.
                Adjust grind for a flow of approx 160ml in 30 seconds, 18 grams in a double basket, no hot water.
                This results in a long black with excellent crema, more viscous mouth feel and great flavour, give it a go, I doubt you will be disappointed.
                Have described this in the past with little interest shown, guess the standard method is too well entrenched.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                  My method of making a long black differs from the norm.
                  I grind coarser than I would for a shot.
                  Adjust grind for a flow of approx 160ml in 30 seconds, 18 grams in a double basket, no hot water.
                  This results in a long black with excellent crema, more viscous mouth feel and great flavour, give it a go, I doubt you will be disappointed.
                  Have described this in the past with little interest shown, guess the standard method is too well entrenched.
                  Never heard / read of this, but I will be giving it a go.

                  I guess it goes against everything that is indoctrinated about espresso machine extraction.

                  Cheers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Steve82 View Post
                    Never heard / read of this, but I will be giving it a go.

                    I guess it goes against everything that is indoctrinated about espresso machine extraction.

                    Cheers
                    Would be interested to know what you think of the result.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I understand where you're coming from Yelta but don't remember you mentioning it before.
                      I'm tempted to give that a go this weekend.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Thundergod View Post
                        I understand where you're coming from Yelta but don't remember you mentioning it before.
                        I'm tempted to give that a go this weekend.
                        Was quite some time ago TG, let me know what you reckon, I would value your opinion.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                          My method of making a long black differs from the norm.
                          I grind coarser than I would for a shot.
                          Adjust grind for a flow of approx 160ml in 30 seconds, 18 grams in a double basket, no hot water.
                          This results in a long black with excellent crema, more viscous mouth feel and great flavour, give it a go, I doubt you will be disappointed.
                          Have described this in the past with little interest shown, guess the standard method is too well entrenched.
                          roughly this is the method I have used for over a decade, sometimes I get great coffee..... sometimes I get dirty water.

                          After reading these forums and others have found out that you need consistency in grinding etc and that I something I have lacked. Also I used to grind coffee and put in an airtight container and use that for a week or two and I think thats a no no.

                          Anyway I am waiting for my new machine to arrive ( the way its going it will be next year ) and will be going the hot water in microwave then add a double shot..............

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            My method of making a long black differs from the norm.
                            I grind coarser than I would for a shot.
                            Adjust grind for a flow of approx 160ml in 30 seconds, 18 grams in a double basket, no hot water.
                            This results in a long black with excellent crema, more viscous mouth feel and great flavour, give it a go, I doubt you will be disappointed.
                            Have described this in the past with little interest shown, guess the standard method is too well entrenched.
                            I've never had a long black, and being an espresso purist don't appreciate the concept. Having said that, I would have thought that running the extra water through the coffee would be preferable to straight water with coffee on top.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by wlsutton View Post
                              roughly this is the method I have used for over a decade, sometimes I get great coffee..... sometimes I get dirty water.

                              After reading these forums and others have found out that you need consistency in grinding etc and that I something I have lacked. Also I used to grind coffee and put in an airtight container and use that for a week or two and I think thats a no no.

                              Anyway I am waiting for my new machine to arrive ( the way its going it will be next year ) and will be going the hot water in microwave then add a double shot..............
                              Why not continue with the the way you have been doing it WLS, once you get the method down pat, in my opinion makes a far superior long black to the hot water and shot/s on top method, I'm drinking one right now.
                              Good luck with buying a new machine, do you have anything in mind?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X