What u would do for good coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What u would do for good coffee?

Hey everyone just thought i would ask you all what u would do/have done for a good machine/grinder/roaster setup at home? because at the moment im a poor uni student and i am seriously considering going in drug trials to raise money for my new ECM/Diadema/Expobar (havent decided yet) just wondering what other ppl have done for their machines??

Re: What u would do for good coffee?

Got a "car loan".

Comment

Segrave...

Worked for 45+ years during most of which I drank cr@p instant coffee.....

Got myself a redundancy package and retired !!!

Figured I better start having some of the finer things in life before I "shuffled off"

After having had (quite) a few domestic machines, I started to shop around for a pre loved commercial grinder and then my pre loved commercial coffee machine.... bit of restoration on the machine (I love tinkering and that was an ideal project )..... and now I have great coffees when ever I want!!

Comment

I did the redundancy thing too but the timing wasnt good enough for retirement.

Dont do the drugs trial unless it involved caffeine.  
        You hear the occasional story about the poor guinea pigs nearly dying and taking years to recover.
        Not worth the risk, even for a good coffee.

Comment

Started off with a cheap stove top

found a second hand phillips machine

Now moved up a level with the Gaggia set up.

The dream machine is still a little way off. One day, I can wait.

I dont have to have everything RIGHT NOW I have another 50 + years to live.

Comment

im so glad i have discoverd good coffee at the ripe age of 21 i coulnt dream of going my whole life without it

Comment

I hear they are still short of sperm donors - they dont pay but they do cover expenses.

Kinda gross and only useful if you are a man but $500 is $500 eh?

Comment

I dont know... I dont think I have had a good coffee yet. I will make that trip to Mecca soon and then we will see.

Comment

Turned 40 and got a wonderful coffee making pressie.

Comment

I "made them an offer they couldnt refuse".

That is, I offered to pay money in return for the equipment. And they accepted.

---Robusto

Comment

My first decent machine came care of Camberwell market first thing in the morning, before all of the good items had been picked over, and I picked up a Baby Gaggia in good nick, which lasted me for years, before I could afford something else!

P

Comment

If youre a poor uni student, surely then there is a great cafe nearby? I guess it depends on which city youre at uni in, I suppose.

How much coffee are you planning on consuming in one day?

Comment

Hi Segrave,

If money is tight, Id get a job at a great cafe to leech off ;P Failing that, sunbeam grinder + plunger + good coffee = value for money!

I think that I basically chose my Maver over the standard uni student overseas trip. Tough call, but I thank myself for it every morning, as I stumble downstairs, bleary eyed and dont have to think to get a decent cup.
                          It never ceases to amaze me how all of us have no money, but manage to afford airfares year in and year out! Being a uni student in Europe must be awesome for travelling. I seem to remember seeing 20 Euro flights from Rome to Madrid!

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Working...
                          X