Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barista training

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Barista training

    A few of the better cafes here in Melbourne run short barista courses. Padre (at the league) have some in Feb and Sensory Lab have run some before.

    But they're not cheap, the Padre course is $150 for 3 hours.

    Has anybody here been on the Padre course? Any thoughts?

    Cheers
    Jonathon

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jonathon View Post
    A few of the better cafes here in Melbourne run short barista courses. Padre (at the league) have some in Feb and Sensory Lab have run some before.

    But they're not cheap, the Padre course is $150 for 3 hours.

    Has anybody here been on the Padre course? Any thoughts?

    Cheers
    Jonathon
    Hi Jonathon,

    I disagree. To have access to a highly skilled professional at $50 an hour is a bargain. Your solicitor would charge that much to dial your number or have the secretary photocopy a couple of bits of paper on your behalf.

    The Padre boys know their stuff and you will be in good hands.

    You'd get a full day for little more at the coffee academy, but would find yourself in a group of 12.

    Comment


    • #3
      Barista training

      Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
      Hi Jonathon,

      I disagree. To have access to a highly skilled professional at $50 an hour is a bargain. Your solicitor would charge that much to dial your number or have the secretary photocopy a couple of bits of paper on your behalf.

      The Padre boys know their stuff and you will be in good hands.

      You'd get a full day for little more at the coffee academy, but would find yourself in a group of 12.
      Yep I agree that $50 per hour would be a bargain for one on one training, but the padre class is a group thing.

      I've been a fan of padre for quite some time, so I'm probably going to try it, but I'll check out other options too.

      Comment


      • #4
        Barista training

        In fact makes me think there must be a market for skilled baristas to do home training? I know a lot of chefs will come to your house for personal training, I had a top tier pastry chef come to my house a couple of years back for just $80 an hour, which was stunning value.

        Given what baristas get paid in their day job, I'm a little surprised there aren't lots of them out helping to train owners of machines.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jonathon View Post
          In fact makes me think there must be a market for skilled baristas to do home training? I know a lot of chefs will come to your house for personal training, I had a top tier pastry chef come to my house a couple of years back for just $80 an hour, which was stunning value.

          Given what baristas get paid in their day job, I'm a little surprised there aren't lots of them out helping to train owners of machines.
          There are certainly people who will do this. I guess the gotcha is that not all will hold a training qualification and many will rightly charge travel to and from.

          Seriously, I reckon $50/hr in a small group represents pretty good bang for buck. For one on one, you should expect to pay more for quality training.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Barista training

            Thanks for posting this... I'll try and book myself in for the next session at Padre.

            Comment


            • #7
              Afternoon Ladies and Gents.

              Tried to search for the relevant thread and found my way here.

              I am looking to do some entry level Barista Training. The one I was looking at was at William Angliss (Melb). How does this compare to Padre? Which would you guys recommend.

              Comment


              • #8
                I went on the padre course a couple of months ago. It was good fun to get hands on with a Slayer and Robur for half a day, I learned a bit and definitely improved my home barista skills a little, but it's a far cry from a commercial barista course, nor do they claim it is.

                Chris at Talk Coffee does personal barista training, and I honestly can't imagine there's anybody in Melbourne you could learn more from.

                Toby's Estate on Flinders Lane also do one on one training, aimed more at commercial baristas, but it's not cheap.

                So I'd suggest you start by talking to Chris and go from there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I might actually have a look -- would be good to get some time, and would be awesome to get someone in to train everyone at the office (they make my coffee sometimes....)

                  could be a good tax deduction for EOFY too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Dave Seng of the Espresso school is doing some great work. Well worth considering if you're south of town.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                      Dave Seng of the Espresso school is doing some great work. Well worth considering if you're south of town.
                      +1 for David Seng. I did a latte art course with him about 18 months ago.

                      Couldn't go wrong with David or Chris :-)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X