X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Kids in Cafe's.

The title says it all.

Two flat whites and a bawling child, please

Obviously some (not all) parents are simply unaware that their grubby screaming little brat is causing other customers discomfort/distress.

I've been known to walk out of a cafe with an over supply of the noisy little devils.

Macca's have the right idea, quarantine em.

Having 2 children 16months and 4 I know what it's like, but we've been lucky. Maddie loves going to a cafe or Gafe as she tends to call it and get a hot chocolate. She's pretty well behaved and tends to be easily amused Hamish is to young to know better but generally timing works out that he gets a bottle so he's happy.

I've seem parents let their kids run around carrying on like right little a holes and I really don't understand the parenting. We take crayons and paper to let her draw even when we go out to dinner and it always works out well but a lot of parents seem to think it is their down time and it is everyone else's turn to put up with their kids.

Brunswick has an awesome cafe, the back area is under cover and has a large kids play area. We've been there a couple times and it was great but again you get 'A-Hole' parents who's kids don't play we'll with others and you have to either parent their children or take your child away which is BS.

Dan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	unattended children espresso puppy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	733570

Java "Works like a charm! " phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I couldnt listen the the entire crap the reporter was going on with...

You take your child out.. You entertain the child if it is going to disturb others or just don't take the child out... end of story.

Everyone can tolerate a couple minutes of crying esp if they can see your trying to rectify the situation and attempting to have a happy child.. But those pr1cks that just ignore their children and seem to think that there time out and screw everyone else need well a smack in the head and a wake up call.. Some people are so selfish and the flow on affect is that others get given a hard time for children when they shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by danzx6r View Post
          I couldnt listen the the entire crap the reporter was going on with...

You take your child out.. You entertain the child if it is going to disturb others or just don't take the child out... end of story.

Everyone can tolerate a couple minutes of crying esp if they can see your trying to rectify the situation and attempting to have a happy child.. But those pr1cks that just ignore their children and seem to think that there time out and screw everyone else need well a smack in the head and a wake up call.. Some people are so selfish and the flow on affect is that others get given a hard time for children when they shouldn't.
          You tell em Dan thought it may just have been beein a grumpy old ba*tard.

Comment

I am a grumpy ba*tard... lol Esp last night after I burnt my first roast of Brazil...

Comment

Originally posted by danzx6r View Post
              I am a grumpy ba*tard... lol Esp last night after I burnt my first roast of Brazil...
              Ya gotta watch em Dan, kids and beans near the end of a roast.

Comment

Some parents seem to think it's OK to allow their children to be a menace to society, whether it's because they think their "precious little angels" need to express themselves or the fact that they themselves have no social conscience. Unfortunately for society bad behaviour in a café is the least of their crimes.

I love taking my children to café's, they're not perfectly behaved every time, but they are well aware that it's a privilege and sitting in the car is a viable alternative. I do often get judgemental stares from spineless/New Agey/Montessori/Steiner types when I'm being strict with my children, of course, while their kids are spoiling it for everyone.

Like any establishment café's reserve the right to restrict access - politely asking these parents to control their children will cause offence, and will lose the customer, but will ultimately win more customers.

Comment

Unfortunately the quality of parenting has been deteriorating for decades right across the board.
                  I am a member of a Liquor Accord and we find that when our members ban a patron from their premises, we get contacted by the parents of the offenders advocating like bush lawyers for their badly behaved offspring.
                  When you listen to the parents you can see why the children have a problem.

Comment

That is just totally one thing I truly do not miss at all since leaving the bakery. I have to say that the over abundance of noisy, bratty, badly behaved kids did end up doing my head in. That and having to clean up after them.

In all my 7 years of being behind the machine, I certainly saw some good and bad in kids and their parents.

I still never understood the mentality of just letting them run amok whilst having a coffee and a chat though.

I find my life a lot less stressful these days!

Comment

Perhaps naughty children were the real reason insulated takeaway cups were invented...the inventor was sick of being interrupted at cafes by crying children. Parents can 'takeaway' their coffee & their noisy kids.

Not all parents of young kids are like the couple in the article...maybe it's the sleep-deprivation...? It can make one a little short-tortured, sorry I meant, short-tempered.

I've learnt to order in a takeaway cup for quick getaways if my kids get difficult. Why should everyone have to suffer?

Comment

Noisy Kids in Cafe's.

Originally posted by greengarden View Post
                        I've learnt to order in a takeaway cup for quick getaways if my kids get difficult. Why should everyone have to suffer?
                        Me too. Ordering it in a glass is just tempting fate! Fortunately my 2 year old is normally pretty happy to sit at the table with us and have something to eat.

In my childless life I couldn't stand kids really being anywhere near me, so I am always very aware that just because I know my kid is awesome it does not mean everyone else does and if he gets too over it I make a pretty quick exit.

That said, I also find my tolerance level for people who look like they have had 2 hours sleep in the past week and are struggling with an unhappy kid has increased enormously. There is often a lot going on at home that is not visible to the rest of us and sometimes people in that situation are not thoughtless @&$!s they are just at their wits end and need a break. So these days I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Well, my parents' generation taught kids to be on absolutely best behaviour when in public places. Running around yelling like pups on steroids was simply not allowed not tolerated.

What has happened since? Not just in cafes, but in medical waiting rooms and shops you see the most excrutiating brat behaviour---and the parents do absolutely nothing to reproach their kids. As if it's ok to scream and screach and run around. As if that is not annoying.

Are such parents so desensitised that they don't care? I really am at a loss to comprehend how they just sit there and allow it to happen.

Very soon, I fear, I will not be able to grit my teeth and bear it. I will confront the parents both barrels blazing.

If they can't teach their kinds to behave, perhaps it is up to me to teach the parents

Comment

Thankfully, where I am at the moment has more dogs (including some large ones) than brats in cafes...and the dogs are well behaved, and keep the floor clean.

I don't so much mind the odd kid having a sook / getting a touch impatient (i.e. being a kid) if it is clear that the parents are trying to help the situation, rather than viewing the outpouring as a step on the path the child's spiritual enlightenment. But there appears to be an increasing proportion of 'I'll be right jack' people feeling the need to appear in public these days (but I wouldn't be surprised if all generations felt this way).

Comment

My job **is not** to spend my relaxation time trying to teach unresponsive parents how to parent their kids.

I **is** the job of the the café/restaurant to provide the experience that their customers will pay for. Just leave and let the staff know why.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X