Cafe reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cafe reviews

any good websites that review cafes in australia? Real independent reviews?

Re: Cafe reviews

Hey

As a cafe owner cafe reviews websites on line are terrible. Its a hit and miss with these guys and are their palates really that good? Ive had several of these reviews and i have tested these guys myself to see if they know anything. Some guys order lattes and judge your coffee on just that latte. Is that really the right way to review someone? They question and make judgements on your ability, but who questions them?. Can they make a coffee? Can they make a coffee 10 hours a day 7 days a week? Do they roast? Anyone can hide behind a computer and write reviews, i challenge any of these guys to come and work behind a machine. Reading anything on line check out the persons background

You really have to be a regular at a cafe to know how good the coffee is. Ive had bad and good coffees at my favourite cafes. But i understand the work behind it and sometimes you can get an average coffee at the best cafes.
    Recommedations from coffeesnobs or geeks is great. Which city do are you interested in?

Andrew

Comment

Most review sites Ive seen take input from the general public and as AndyL said they look a bit hit and miss.

Id trust the recommendations from here before gambling on a review site.

Comment

Yep, gotta agree. Bad coffee reviews are plentiful. Good reviews are as rare as hens teeth. I wouldnt trust any review that doesnt disclose the identity of the reviewer and any vested interests they might have, their level of experience and the number and type of coffees that they have had. Im also very wary of anyone that gives the full allocation of points or describes espresso as "strong," as it raises the question of whether or not the reviewer is actually capable of discriminating between different coffee.

Off the top of my head, here are some attrocities that I have seen:

-Public coffee review webpage lists a cafe as the best based on a single hot chocolate.

-Coffee review blog gives cafe a caning without saying much about the coffee itself, but making it clear that they dont like the roaster.

-Coffee review book with many contributors doesnt disclose who reviewed what. Mecca Espresso gets an OK review, but full marks go to a cafe that uses stale beans from Italy.

I have to say, though, that The Age seems to have lifted its game a bit recently.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

A few more for you Luca, whats a "smooth" or "Melbourne-style" coffee?

Comment

I would rate a smooth coffee as probably a latte. and if the description takes the form of a review, I would say it was written by someone who didnt know what they were talking about - either that or dumbed down for a so-called uneducated audience.

Coffee reviews should be based on a 30ml (or less) espresso only, as the espresso is the basis for all good coffee.

And I would describe an espresso in terms of complexity, mouth feel, balance, acidity, palate profile, aroma, and individual flavour characteristics.

As for a "Melbourne-style" coffee, I would say that it doesnt exist, except for a handful of places which are paving the way with leading edge innovation, and remarkable consistency.

If anything, a Melbourne-style coffee might be more mocha flavoured than the so-called citrus influence of the Sydney style!

Every coffee experience should be treated on its individual merits, and whats true one day, aint necessarily true the next!

pat

Comment

"Every coffee experience should be treated on its individual merits, and whats true one day, aint necessarily true the next! "

My guiding philosophy - comparisons between cafes are a mistake and I reckon youd have to go more than once if you want to understand their style and check for consistency.

Comment

Yes grendel,

And then a few brews from each of their Baristi at different times of the day to make sure you sample a good cross-section of the product from each premises.... A not insignificant task ,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyL link=1170561610/0#1 date=1170566481

You really have to be a regular at a cafe to know how good the coffee is. Ive had bad and good coffees at my favourite cafes. But i understand the work behind it and sometimes you can get an average coffee at the best cafes.
                  Recommedations from coffeesnobs or geeks is great. Which city do are you interested in?

Andrew
                  north brisbane area, ive been going to a few places and ive found one im really happy with. I just wanted to check i hadnt overlooked any good places.

Comment

Originally posted by askthecoffeeguy link=1170561610/0#5 date=1170584806

Coffee reviews should be based on a 30ml (or less) espresso only, as the espresso is the basis for all good coffee.
                    I wouldnt agree with that, you can still make a bad latte with a good shot.

Comment

Originally posted by askthecoffeeguy link=1170561610/0#5 date=1170584806

As for a "Melbourne-style" coffee, I would say that it doesnt exist, except for a handful of places which are paving the way with leading edge innovation, and remarkable consistency.

If anything, a Melbourne-style coffee might be more mocha flavoured than the so-called citrus influence of the Sydney style!

pat
                      As opposed to the charred, burnt style favoured in many Adelaide establishments. :

Comment

You sure theyre not serving sumiyaki style coffee?

Comment

Coffee in Australia

just got back from the U.S and Australia baristi i believe are better. However there a so many more great baristi and amazing cafes in the U.S. The Australians work a lot faster because our customers will not wait. If there is a line people will just walk away. In the U.S they will line up forever and lines will last for the whole day. I didnt see anyone in the U.S working in a complete zone, which i see in Australia. So many top guns in Melbourne and Sydney. All over Australia is getting better. Generally coffee in Seattle in better and more skilled. Every where you go there is a La Marzocca. The local 24 hour supermarket has amazing equipment. Seattle had too many great places.

Australian cafes have a long history of espresso. Thats all we really drink now.

As a country i think we make amazing coffee.
                          Kiwis are pretty good too.
                          Ok your norwegians, swedes and danish are up there. The best there are scary
                          But generally they drink garbage and huge lattes.
                          Everywhere has bad coffee, but there are so many establishments that are doing amazing things.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyb link=1170561610/0#8 date=1170634560
                            north brisbane area, ive been going to a few places and ive found one im really happy with. I just wanted to check i hadnt overlooked any good places.
                            Try Caffiene espresso in Tennerieffe(sp?)

or depending on how north, try me at Pioneer Roastery - Yandina

Comment

Have tried Pioneer many times and in all honestly i love the coffee. Thru the synesso its really good. I wish Jas and Luke could taste it, because it was really good

Comment

Working...
                              X