Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help stopping me from doing something that I might regret.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help stopping me from doing something that I might regret.

Hi all.
    I have been a member for a while but never posted.
    I have loved coffee for many years and drink it regularly, mostly purchased in good coffee shops.
    I have had a few machines but since about late 2007, I purchased my Self a Vibiemme Domobar, I think and a Mini Mazzer grinder.
    I also have some special containers to store my beans which are air tight with a valve on top to extract the air with a special vacuum pump.
    Now, with all this gear, I know that it's capabilities are quite good but the outcome will vary on my ability and the ability of maintaining my coffee fresh.
    I try many different shops with different results and most recently been extremely disappointed.
    I now reach a cross roads on what direction to go. I will either give up and sell my gear and buy this new craze of coffee pods, or invest in a coffee roaster. I have never tried to make a coffee with my machine with home roasted beans or had a try of some.
    What I am trying to get from this post is someone that roasts his/hers own beans that are willing to sell me a small sample of freshly roasted beans, so that I can both try it on my machine and see the difference in taste, and also the way it extracts from my machine. I appreciate that all beans are different and the way people roast are also different but I am hoping to be able to see past that and then decide which way to go
    so, after all this, if you think that you can assist and if what I am asking is not excessive, please reply t this post with some feedback.
    I am located in Melbourne.
    Thank you.

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs Letoy.

Melbourne being the self proclaimed coffee capital of Oz I suspect you will receive lots of helpful advice from Melb based snobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
      Welcome to CoffeeSnobs Letoy.

Melbourne being the self proclaimed coffee capital of Oz I suspect you will receive lots of helpful advice from Melb based snobs.
      Hey mate. Thanks for that. Lets hope so. hehehe

Comment

Why not try buying some roasted beans from BeanBay? If you do end up roasting your own you may well end up buying green beans from there so it is a good opportunity to try them first. Also the beans are freshly roasted to order.

Comment

Originally posted by eltoro View Post
          Why not try buying some roasted beans from BeanBay? If you do end up roasting your own you may well end up buying green beans from there so it is a good opportunity to try them first. Also the beans are freshly roasted to order.
          Hello.
          You know that only after posting this thread, did I think of looking for that. I am currently looking in the store and in the process of trying the sample pack.
          Thank you for that anyway.

Comment

Hi Letoy,

You have a great machine and grinder- but I am not a fan of vac. storage for beans at all. My opinion is that you suck all the goodness out of the bean. An airtight container in a cool dark place is best. If your coffee comes in a zip lock bag, just remove the excess air and pop it in a cool cupboard.

Tell you what. How about 1/2 hour of hands-on training on the house with me? I guarantee you that a small time commitment will change your thoughts on your combo and produce coffee as good, if not better than 90% of what's available in Melbourne and have you back in tune with your machine.

Let me know via email if you're interested.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Letoy View Post
              Hello.
              You know that only after posting this thread, did I think of looking for that. I am currently looking in the store and in the process of trying the sample pack.
              Thank you for that anyway.
              Good move, was going to suggest the sample pack, however from the tone of your original post thought perhaps 1kg may be more than you required.
              Just goes to show, you should never assume anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                Hi Letoy,

You have a great machine and grinder.

Tell you what. How about 1/2 hour on the house with me? I guarantee you will change your thoughts on your combo and produce coffee as good, if not better than 90% of what's available in Melbourne.

Chris
                Crikey, that's a generous offer Chris, you'd be mad not to take it up Letoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                  Good move, was going to suggest the sample pack, however from the tone of your original post thought perhaps 1kg may be more than you required.
                  Just goes to show, you should never assume anything.
                  Hi,
                  You are quite right in regards to the quantity. Because I will end up wasting most of it as I just don't drink enough of it to consume it while still fresh. But hopefully, it will give me a taste for real freshly roasted coffee. I am certain that I have never had it.
                  Having said that, I am still keen on buying a small quantity from a home roasted coffee to see if there is a difference. Then, hopefully, I will decide to keep my equipment and decide on a roasting machine.

Comment

Hi,

Having said that, I am still keen on buying a small quantity from a home roasted coffee to see if there is a difference. Then, hopefully, I will decide to keep my equipment and decide on a roasting machine.
                    Just keep in mind that home roasters are like their commercial counterparts, some good, some not so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                      Hi Letoy,

You have a great machine and grinder- but I am not a fan of vac. storage for beans at all. My opinion is that you suck all the goodness out of the bean. An airtight container in a cool dark place is best. If your coffee comes in a zip lock bag, just remove the excess air and pop it in a cool cupboard.

Tell you what. How about 1/2 hour of hands-on training on the house with me? I guarantee you that a small time commitment will change your thoughts on your combo and produce coffee as good, if not better than 90% of what's available in Melbourne and have you back in tune with your machine.

Chris
                      Hi Chris,
                      I will take your offer on, thank you very much.
                      Also, I am sure that I purchased my very first coffee machine from you many years ago. trying to think of the brand but for the life of me, can't remember.
                      Anyway, Should I email your from you site email address?
                      Thank you again.
                      Fernando.

Comment

A few weeks ago, I purchased some (Fresh) coffee beans and grinded from a coffee place at Chadstone Shoping Center. I asked the operator for a suggestion on something that wasn't too bitter and that produced nice cream. I went with his suggestion and asked him for 250 grams grounded and 250 grams in beans. I wanted to compare the grinds from what they do and the coarseness of my home grind.
                        To say that I was disappointed, it's a understatement. The coffee must of been stale of whatever. It would just run through like water, no matter how much pressure I tamped it with.
                        This was with the one that he grounded for me. I then try and grind my own but the results were just as bad. I know that I am not a expert but I have managed to extract nice coffees over the years with coffee purchased off the shelf.
                        Where did I go wrong? No idea. $30 down the drain. hehehe

Comment

I'm sure all will be revealed after your session with Chris.

Comment

A few weeks ago, I purchased some (Fresh) coffee beans and grinded from a coffee place at Chadstone Shooping Center. I asked the operator for a suggestion on something that wasn't too bitter and that produced nice cream. I went with his suggestion and asked him for 250 grams grounded and 250 grams in beans. I wanted to compare the grinds from what they do and the coarseness of my home grind.
                            To say that I was disappointed, it's a understatement. The coffee must of been stale of whatever. It would just run through like water, no matter how much pressure I tamped it with.
                            This was with the one that he grounded for me. I then try and grind my own but the results were just as bad. I know that I am not a expert but I have managed to extract nice coffees over the years with coffee purchased off the shelf.
                            $30 for 500g of coffee? I thinks that's where you went wrong.
                            And if the shop had the word 'shack' in the name, also there!

Comment

It is difficult to get good results with pre ground coffee. It goes stale quicker and the longer the time from roasting the finer the grind has to be to get a good result.

Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X