Truckies who use caffeine less likely to crash:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truckies who use caffeine less likely to crash:

Unless you drive on the Bruce or Pacific goat tracks.
    http://www.logisticsmagazine.com.au/news/truckies-who-use-caffeine-less-likely-to-crash-rep

125 views and not a single reply, no body cares about truckies who do ya reckon delivers your milk.

Comment

I respect the job they do.
      Without trucks this country would come to a complete standstill, a fact that many people fail to think about in their daily lives, or when they carelessly cut in front of a large truck or try and overtake down the inside lane. Then they will be the first ones to bitch and moan about what terrible drivers they are and should act more like " professional " drivers.

I reckon they do a pretty good job of things especially considering the state of some of the excuses for roads in this country.

Give them the room and respect they deserve on the road and there will always be milk for your double choc / caramel soy latte.

Comment

Good on ya Steve, nice to know someone cares.

Comment

Yes we need truckies for short-haul deliveries. But sharing highways with semi-trailers which overtake you above 100 kmh is insane.

Long distance haulage should be covered by rail. I do not want to share the highway with trucks, with or without caffeined drivers at their wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto View Post
            Yes we need truckies for short-haul deliveries. But sharing highways with semi-trailers which overtake you above 100 kmh is insane.

Long distance haulage should be covered by rail. I do not want to share the highway with trucks, with or without caffeined drivers at their wheels.
            Eat some sour grapes for lunch Robusto.
            Got some bad news for you mate , they're out there on the road as we speak and nothing is going to change anytime soon.
            Fortunately trucks overtaking at over 100 kmh is a rare event, it's yet to happen to me and I've covered a lot of miles in my life.

Comment

Better caffeine than amphetamines, I s'pose.

Comment

Re: Truckies who use caffeine less likely to crash:

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                Fortunately trucks overtaking at over 100 kmh is a rare event, it's yet to happen to me and I've covered a lot of miles in my life.
                In WA, at least, trucks over a certain weight are limited to 100km/h. In my experience, its usually the east-west trucks from interstate that are nutters. As I recall from my days on P's (limited to 90km/h) the Gt Eastern Hwy run was like running the gaunlet!

Comment

Originally posted by robusto View Post

Totally agree. Governments have failed us in relation to both the dangerous and inadequate roads in Queensland and the demise of the rail-freight system. For the record, I am frequently passed at the speed limit by semis & B Doubles who also dominate the passing lanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                    Totally agree. Governments have failed us in relation to both the dangerous and inadequate roads in Queensland and the demise of the rail-freight system. For the record, I am frequently passed at the speed limit by semis & B Doubles who also dominate the passing lanes.
                    Bit of a slow coach are ya Rocky.

Comment

125 views and not a single reply, no body cares about truckies who do ya reckon delivers your milk.
                      I drink double espressos!

My old man used to drive interstate and he lived on coffee. Never had an accident.

One of the biggest issues is around the KPI's put on drivers in setting un-realistic time frames for deliveries.

Comment

Bit of a slow coach are ya Rocky.
                        A bit the opposite unfortunately.
                        The trucks drive me crazy because you effectively spend all your time activating and deactivating the cruise control as even the faster trucks drop way below the limit on the hills & grades but then roar up your tailpipe on the downhill & flat.
                        Because we (as a society) have put all our eggs in the one basket in terms of moving freight, the trucks (not unreasonably), feel that the roads are there for them and the rest of us are a bit of a nuisance.

Comment

Rocky, same experience here. I try to stick to the speed limit and use cruise control.

But very regularly I am overtaken by trucks doing in excess of 100 kph....then at the next hill, the can't keep up so either hit the brakes...or overtake.

I'll never forget one occasion in which a truck overtook me while I was doing 100....then sat himself right in front of me at my speed.

Apart from blocking my view of the road, what was the purpose of that exercise?

Comment

Re: Truckies who use caffeine less likely to crash:

Think about it this way, if the truck didn't accelerate down the hill, the guy stuck behind him going up the next one will be waiting even longer. Still annoying, but justifiable.

What gets my goat is the city drivers on country roads who cant do 110km/h unless its an overtalking lane...
                            And those people who overtake a truck and then cut in front of it at the lights. Crazy!

Comment

The speed limit thing is a bit of a lottery here in the country. I tend to take the attitude that 110kph is a safe speed for an alert driver in a modern car on a reasonable road in good weather. Make no mistake though, it is a risk as both mobile and static radar proliferates in the country and lots of people get booked for speeds in the 110 to 115 range. You take a chance with your cruise set to 110.
                              As for people who do stupid things to truckies - sooner or later they get what they deserve.
                              I would have to say though, that there are more cowboys out there in big rigs than ever before and I don't enjoy driving on the highway any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X