One post wonders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One post wonders.

Have noticed a bit of a trend recently for people to sign on to Coffee Snobs then create a stir in the first couple of posts by bashing the heck out of a particular brand of machine, they then disappear into the wood work never to be seen again.

Wonder if there needs to be a rule regarding new members posting reviews or critical threads until they have met a certain number of posts or been a member for minimum period.

Would that be a hard thing to monitor? Either way i fully agree, regardless of peoples belief about free speech and right to say what they want. I sometimes wonder what the reaction would be if they were speaking face to face to someone with the type of tone they use on here when posting...

The pluses of the internet, being able to hide behind a computer saying whatever you feel....not that its a good thing.

Comment

The beauty of free thinking...

People who are reading along can see for themselves that a one post wonder is just that and perhaps take more notice of those who've been here longer and have a bit more credence to their posts.

Maybe the free thinkers of the world, who possibly don't believe everything they read on the interweb will also not believe the one post wonders.

Not forgetting of course, the amount of members who have signed up to CS to be able to just purchase from Beanbay and never chat on the forums. So, if you notice that the time stamp of the post and the posters join date are pretty close, then your alarm bells can start going off!

I think that there is an ignore feature here too, so feel free to make use of it! (If the mods don't get to banning the trolls first!)

Comment

It's a bit of a compliment to the site I guess - CS is good enough and big enough to have significant influence, so they come to post...

Comment

If making great coffee was easy for everybody why is so much poor coffee made commercially?

I can understand that people buy often quite expensive machines under the impression that it will make good coffee.

Then on getting the machine operational they discover that making very good coffee requires some knowledge and paying attention to detail.

So now having spent a lot of money they will now actually have to learn how to use the equipment.

this may be enormously frustrating for people who have been living in an instant gratification world who were probably expecting to turn it on and it just works.

Many people want to believe spending lots of money makes them an expert.

Sometimes it doesn't work this way

Comment

+1
            Originally posted by don_nairn View Post
            Many people want to believe spending lots of money makes them an expert.

Sometimes it doesn't work this way
            Sometimes?

Comment

I always thought it came under the broader heading of "spammers"...

Comment

I've been accused of being a one post wonder once (not here) ... Lucky I have about four posts racked up here... It's annoying as a poster to be accused of this. Sometimes it is a burning issue or question that people have.

I do admit the 'new grinder' thread is a bit sus.

Comment

Pssst... Don't look now thegoner but you've only got 1 post

thegoner

Junior MemberJoin DateMar 2012Posts1

Comment

*cries

I think I posted a few in a section that needed 20 posts (now I see that bit).

Anyway, found the forum has tappacrap, and I'm sure you will see the dumb questions soon.

Comment

Hi,
                      I am new at CS, but very familiar to forum software/internet marketing.

In my opinion, in term of "internet popularity" as in google top ranking index.. the forum will receive significant additional traffic that good for the popularity/authority of this forum - especially when then the senior member of the forum will "rectify" those erratic behaviors and "straighten" them up.... also as "warning" from all the other newbie....

Restricting post will only make the dynamic of the forum soften... I mean some new wanna-be-coffee-aficionado could have some fresh point about unlimited number of idea/stuffs that will make the expert more expert...

But on the other side, if it comes to well known brand, there will be some risk of litigation - but when come to this there is always be a delete button for the mod.

If I may suggest, as we have "Like" counter already.. add "Dislike" or "Thumb Down" counter as well, and then the software can automatically hidden any thread below a threshold set by mod - hence the quality of discussion is crowd-sourced and will not burden further the moderator...

just my 2 cents...

Comment

Like systems have their place in showing comments that are actively supported. Systems that allow disliking or downvoting, or rank/rep based on post popularity inevitably (in my experience) lead to abuse, especially in forums where cliques exist and the rep/downvoting is used to help perpetuate the status of those who are "in".

I can understand it on forums where users' identities aren't so heavily tied to a given account (though I'm still of the opinion that most vocal people online are idiots, so unless your forum attracts more reasoned/mature people than not, being popular in one means very little). Not so much on a small community forum where people's accounts are more representative of the person behind them.

Just my 2c

Comment

The danger of letting people censor what is visible is that 10% of people are angels, wonderful folk without whom the world would not be worth continuing; 10% of people are arseholes, absolute cretins that the removal of would automatically make the world a better place to be... and the other 80% afre in the range in between - and the relevant point is, we can find ALL those percentages in each and every person.

Allowing dislikes to decide what can be seen performs a 'consensus-only' censoring of subjects and only popularly agreed subjects will spend much time in the light. Thus the 'wannabe-coffee-afficionado's' views would be removed from view sooner rather than later, achieving the exact opposite effect.

Crowd sourcing is a new buzz word but in this context I doubt very much it would improve a site that is already at the top of the game... or we wouldn't be getting these one-offs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
                            Like systems have their place in showing comments that are actively supported. Systems that allow disliking or downvoting, or rank/rep based on post popularity inevitably (in my experience) lead to abuse, especially in forums where cliques exist and the rep/downvoting is used to help perpetuate the status of those who are "in".

I can understand it on forums where users' identities aren't so heavily tied to a given account (though I'm still of the opinion that most vocal people online are idiots, so unless your forum attracts more reasoned/mature people than not, being popular in one means very little). Not so much on a small community forum where people's accounts are more representative of the person behind them.

Just my 2c
                            Agree with you on this Dragunov, likes are good, a dislike button would lead to disharmony.

Comment

Perhaps what we need is a WTF button so that comments that are totally out there and generally lacking of anything helpful, interesting or redeeming can quickly be brought to the attention of the mods

Comment

Working...
                              X