Slayer and Robur stolen from cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slayer and Robur stolen from cafe

Unbelievably, last night a new cafe in Kew had their Slayer and Robur stolen, and they haven't even opened yet.

A similar thing happened to St Ali north when they were broken into twice, and I recall they also had their Slayers stolen.

As much as it's a terrible thing, I can understand someone stealing a grinder, but a 3 group Slayer?

It's not like they could sell it to another cafe, there are so few of them it'd be spotted straightaway. And the one stolen last night was even more unique as it was white, here's a pic http://Instagram.com/p/YTtmdOD1OU/

It was clearly an organised thing, it's not like some junkie took it. But what would they be doing with them?

I feel really sorry for the cafe owner, I'm guessing he/she hasn't got the financial background that St Ali have to rebound the way they did.

There really are some halfsoles in the word, hope they had their insurance organised.

Comment

They weigh 123kg! You'd need at least three or four guys to lift one...

Comment

This sucks. Hopefully the cockroaches that did it are caught

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathon View Post

It was clearly an organised thing, it's not like some junkie took it. But what would they be doing with them?
          Box it and put it in self-storage (of some form) for a year or so, try to sell it in another city is a possibility.

I'd be looking for 4 blokes with sore backs, or that guy from the Incredible Hulk.

Pretty tough luck.

Comment

Yes, a truly lovely world we live in these days. Shame it didn't have one of those trackers they use on luxury vehicles or earth-moving equipment.

Maybe the replacement unit could have one hidden inside so you can catch the prix if they come back for the replacement machine.

IntelliTrac Australia's Best Selling GPS Tracking|Fleet Management Tracking|Personal Tracking|Stolen Vehicle Tracking

Comment

We've had to repair a machine that was dropped while someone was stealing it, they got away but were nabbed by the police and the machine retrieved.

It would take someone with knowledge of the industry to know its value and have a way of using it/selling it, most likely if it's in a custom colour it will be pulled apart and repainted before it 'reappears' somewhere.

Even a rarer machine like a Slayer may not be easily identified when it reappears, I hope they have a record of the serial number!

I suspect there are a LOT of machines out there in cafes that are not technically the legal property of the current 'owner', judging by the number of machines supplied by coffee companies that they lose track of one way or another - I've seen a few commercial machines on eBay that I know don't actually belong to the person selling them.......

Comment

So Jonathon, you are saying you now know of two of these machines that have been stolen in a relatively short timeframe?
                I imagine the owner reported the theft to Police. I wonder if they were able to say whether there is currently a bit of activity Re theft of commercial machines.
                Sounds like a 'steal to order' job doesn't it.
                The thieves will mostly want to turn that machine over ASAP - a paint job is definitely a possibility. I'd bet it is pulling shots in someones cafe within weeks. Probably somewhere in the metro area.
                A pox on their house.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                  So Jonathon, you are saying you now know of two of these machines that have been stolen in a relatively short timeframe?
                  The other theft I know of was St Ali north, also in the days before they opened, although they were Hydras, rather than Slayers. Same thing though, very high end and quite exclusive machines. And of course they take several people to lift them.

So it's a team of people who know the difference between a Slayer and some crappy Wega. In Melbourne that narrows it down to perhaps 250,000 people!

Comment

Thanks for your reply Jonathon.
                    It does suggest they know what they are stealing and have a bit of a plan.
                    Stealing highly visible stuff that then gets put 'on display' in a cafe is a bit more risky than stealing Wegas.
                    I see the victim has a message seeking help from the public on the Slayer Facebook page. It would be interesting if all the CSs in Melbourne were to keep an eye out for any Slayers in cafes and report them to the victim of the theft.
                    I'm sure he would be keen to check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                      Thanks for your reply Jonathon.
                      It does suggest they know what they are stealing and have a bit of a plan.
                      Stealing highly visible stuff that then gets put 'on display' in a cafe is a bit more risky than stealing Wegas.
                      I see the victim has a message seeking help from the public on the Slayer Facebook page. It would be interesting if all the CSs in Melbourne were to keep an eye out for any Slayers in cafes and report them to the victim of the theft.
                      I'm sure he would be keen to check them out.
                      Chances are it will finish up in a bikies club house.

Comment

......a team of people who know the difference between a Slayer and some crappy Wega. .....
                        Yes there is a definite difference in the price tag. And it would be interesting to do a blind test between these two, after which a cost benefit analysis could be done on the difference in cost VS quality of end product. The blind test could also be extended to cover real clients in a working cafe.

The machine and grinder will have been covered under the business insurance package taken out by the owners of the business.

Over the years there have been some highly "professional" gangs of coffee equipment thieves operating in NSW and Victoria. It isnt an isolated instance, and the equipment probably wont go into a cafe unless the ID plate is modified to reflect a different number. In which case it will likely never be indentified or found, and owing to the small value of the theft, the police will do not much more than fill out the forms and file them away in the cabinet (especially if this is given to junior officers). If you want the police to do anything, you have to hand feed them the info that you discover from your own investigations, and that is also a one way street as in.....you give them your info, but they will not give you theirs.....

Assume from the onset that he equipment is gone forever. If there is no insurance, I dare say that a Wega is quite likely to appear in its place.

Comment

Originally posted by TOK View Post
                          Assume from the onset that he equipment is gone forever. If there is no insurance, I dare say that a Wega is quite likely to appear in its place.
                          I doubt it. The average punter in Kew, where this cafe is, knows the difference between a Slayer and a Wega so you won't get them in the door in the first place.

Yes, I know a good barista will produce a far better coffee from a Wega than a crap barista will with a Slayer, but try employing a good barista or two in Melbourne if they're going to be pulling shots on a Wega.

Comment

... but try employing a good barista or two in Melbourne if they're going to be pulling shots on a Wega.
                            I wouldn't ever want to employ a barista who felt that way. A truly "good barista" should be able to pull amazing shots on any decent machine... and happy to do so.

I am SO over the 'tude of so called hipster baristas!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                              I wouldn't ever want to employ a barista who felt that way. A truly "good barista" should be able to pull amazing shots on any decent machine... and happy to do so.

I am SO over the 'tude of so called hipster baristas!!!!
                              Absolutely agree about the attitude, I refuse to go to these cafes, no matter how good the coffee is, or is supposed to be.

But as someone who employs many young staff, I know that creating a great work environment is a non negotiable when you're dealing with staff who are highly mobile.

Perhaps if you're in a small town with high unemployment it might be different, but in Melb/Syd it's a hunt for talent, not a hunt for jobs, so as an employer I need to give someone a reason to work for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X