Cafe horror stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cafe horror stories

Im sure you must have some and I thought I should share one experience I had last night. Its probably minor compared to others but I was far from impressed to say the least.

Was at Perth Domestic Airport to see some friends off and figured Id get a coffee from Aerodrome while I was there. I didnt expect much I must say. There was no sign of drink prices anywhere which wasnt a good start, but a pie was $4.80 so that gave me a bit of an indication.

When the guy eventually served me, I placed my order for a small latte. Things started off OK; one thwack from the Mini, a token press from the built-in fixed tamper, and then load it onto the San Marino 3 group. It was hard to see the pour speed but I did see some big bubbles of liquid come out so I presume it was too fast. Then I waited to see how he was going to do the milk, as this is obviously important to the overall taste of a latte. Well he didnt. Thats not to say he served me a cold drink, but he picked up the jug which must have still been hot from the last drink, held the foam back with a spoon while the very liquid milk rushed out (i.e. hot milk not microfoam by any stretch of the imagination), and just at the end removed the spoon so a couple of big globules of foam deposited themselves on the top of my latte. I guess he figured a latte was a cappuccino with no chocolate, cos thats exactly how it looked.

My tongue still hasnt recovered from the scaldingly hot experience (I hate to think how hot it was when he first heated the milk!). The flavour was of coffee, but a very bland and disinteresting one, with absolutely no aftertaste. The texture of the milk was understandably thin on the tongue with absolutely no body, and I was charged $3.90 for this assault on my taste buds.

Greg
    P.S. Mods: Feel free to move this elsewhere if you think it belongs somewhere better, or remove the establishment name if you reckon its a flame.

Re: Cafe horror stories

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1171848467/0#0 date=1171848466
    Im sure you must have some and I thought I should share one experience I had last night. Its probably minor compared to others but I was far from impressed to say the least.

Was at Perth Domestic Airport to see some friends off and figured Id get a coffee from Aerodrome while I was there. I didnt expect much I must say. There was no sign of drink prices anywhere which wasnt a good start, but a pie was $4.80 so that gave me a bit of an indication.

When the guy eventually served me, I placed my order for a small latte. Things started off OK; one thwack from the Mini, a token press from the built-in fixed tamper, and then load it onto the San Marino 3 group. It was hard to see the pour speed but I did see some big bubbles of liquid come out so I presume it was too fast. Then I waited to see how he was going to do the milk, as this is obviously important to the overall taste of a latte. Well he didnt. Thats not to say he served me a cold drink, but he picked up the jug which must have still been hot from the last drink, held the foam back with a spoon while the very liquid milk rushed out (i.e. hot milk not microfoam by any stretch of the imagination), and just at the end removed the spoon so a couple of big globules of foam deposited themselves on the top of my latte. I guess he figured a latte was a cappuccino with no chocolate, cos thats exactly how it looked.

My tongue still hasnt recovered from the scaldingly hot experience (I hate to think how hot it was when he first heated the milk!). The flavour was of coffee, but a very bland and disinteresting one, with absolutely no aftertaste. The texture of the milk was understandably thin on the tongue with absolutely no body, and I was charged $3.90 for this assault on my taste buds.

Greg
    P.S. Mods: Feel free to move this elsewhere if you think it belongs somewhere better, or remove the establishment name if you reckon its a flame.
    What a disgrace, Greg.

We HAVE to start refusing this absolute rubbish > > . Send it back and either demand a full refund or a real coffee. These fools will never learn until we refuse to pay them....

Comment

Yeah I think I was too much in shock to say much! But I should have.

Comment

That is pretty much what I have come to expect at most places.

Comment

Customers need to revolutionise the industry from the outside....us baristi can revolutionise from the inside.

Seriously...thats not good enough.

Comment

<hangs head in shame> OK Ill order another one when Im there on Wednesday and cast the 7 curses of CoffeeSnobs on him if he dares do it again!

1. May your milk turn rancid
            2. May your hopper be full and your doser full switch fail overnight
            3. May your portafilter handle insulation dissolve on contact
            4. May your group gaskets fail simultaneously and spray your gushing brew to all corners of the shop
            5. May your drip tray overflow as the boss walks past
            6. May all your mugs shatter as they reject your scalding milk
            7. May you be condemned to a Breville thermoblock for henceforth for ever

To be used only in the most extreme cases of tastebud abuse.

Comment

I kinda think this is funny - I would have walked away before they had finished pouring the milk (and have done so). I have a coffee shop across the road from work and have "trained" the staff from the customer side of the counter. I still shudder a little when they use the tamper on the grinder, and they dont have any idea that there is an alternative. The staffer said she was embarassed that a customer had to show her how to make a cap - I replied she only need be embarrased for what she was charging - am I being snobby enough?

Comment

Sadly Greg there is nowhere in Perth Airport that will not burn your tongue. In desperation I have tried them all.

Comment

Dennis: Welcome to CS, you sound like youve got what it takes to cut the snobby mustard!

Grendel: Yeah figured that; like I said I didnt expect much but hadnt been home all day and figured itd be worth a try. Maybe Ill buy a carton of Iced Coffee next time... I did think how much better business they could all do if they did it properly, but theyve got a captive market there so theres probably no incentive for them to bother.

Comment

Sadly I think you are right - I blogged about my experience at Dome - first time in 7 years I have walked into one and confirmation that I never shall again.

Mrs Grendel reckons the coffee at Hungry Jacks is better than the stuff at Dome. . .

Comment

The coffees taste better at Hungry Jacks.

Sounds like a jingle.

Comment

After critiquing their coffee and / or asking for a refund try mentioning something along the lines of:

"Actually, I write for a very influential on-line coffee publication"

And see if their attitude doesnt change.

Its worked for me on a number of occasions.

Iv even suggested that I jump behind the machine and make myself a coffee, once or twice, but you have to choose your market well, and even ended up working couple of shifts!

Its strange how the wheel turns sometimes...

P

Comment

Now I just need a job writing for a very influential coffee publication! Otherwise I can see lots of laughter in my future. . .

By the way - I like your little Buddhist quote there!

Comment

grendel, the CoffeeSnobs forum is "a very influential coffee publication".

Comment

Interesting -- and sympathetic responses .

Only a couple of months ago I had a similar tongue-burning experience after the "barista" steamed to 95ºC (by the way, the burn lasted 2 weeks) and one soul here suggested it was my fault.

-Robusto

Comment

Working...
                              X