Photos from MICE 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos from MICE 2013

I went to the Melbourne International Coffee Expo / World Barista Championship for 3 of the 4 days, 23rd to 25th May 2013. I took one of my cameras and a few lenses and had some fun.

Finally finished creating masters of the images. No cropping yet (apart from 1 or 2), no sorting so there are many similar images. The original images are really high resolution.

I have divided my photos into 4 separate galleries.

General images from MICE 2013
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1114557...eat=directlink

World Barista Championship 2013

World Brewers Cup Championship 2013

Lavazza Barista Championship 2013

All images copyright remains with me. Images can be requested, details in the albums as follows -
    Photos taken at the Melbourne International Coffee Expo, 23rd to 25th May 2013.
    All images copyright Adam Holbrook.
    The file sizes of the original JPG images as created from the RAW data from the camera are very detailed at around 20 megabytes each, files available by request. These files are huge, and lend themselves to cropping well. That was considered when many of these images were taken.
    All images as displayed in this gallery are resized to 800 pixels maximum, reducing their file size to around 80 kilobytes each.

Contact Adam Holbrook at tasadam [at] gmail.com for further information or to request copies of images.

Might have to email this pic to our receptionist, you must have snapped her at just the wrong moment when she was pulling a silly face for some reason......
    Attached Files

Comment

I was going to add a caption to that photo - "Yeah, coffee does that to me too!"

Comment

This Aletta was on one of the other stands I had to set up, in the middle of everything else I had to open it up and rewire the internal lights so we could display it lit up without having to power up the whole machine. Unfortunately we didn't have power available to the other machines there, so we couldn't light up the blue and cream Barlumes on the same stand - they look much more impressive with the lights operating.
        Attached Files

Comment

This little 'machine' took my fancy - from the quick look I had when were were setting up, it looked like it might even be a working machine. I never got the chance to go back and look at it much closer to see if it had all the bits required to make it functional, but even if it wasn't I suspect it could have been made to function without much extra work. Would be a great little toy for a corner of the kitchen.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Adam for the great set of photos. I've never been to MICE and your photos are a good substitute for being there

Sniff

Comment

There's no substitute for being there, and trying so many wonderful coffees. The only down side is laying in the bed wide awake at 2:30AM thinking to yourself "What can I do now?" All worth it.

Comment

Thanks for the photo upload Adam! Great work!

Comment

Originally posted by SniffCoffee View Post
                  Thanks Adam for the great set of photos. I've never been to MICE and your photos are a good substitute for being there

Sniff
                  Man there is no substitute for being there as tasadam said. Geishas, Geishas everywhere! The best coffee being thrown at you left, right and centre as well as seeing/playing with all the cool tech they have over there. Walk past a stand, oh look another cupping its the 3rd/4th/5th today already. Bored of the expo? Lets watch those baristas present their coffees to judges. It was so amazing.

Comment

MICE, the WBC and all of the satellite events were brilliant, I thought MICE last year was the pinnacle but this year totally blew me away.
                    The standard of exhibits and the involvement of the public and being able to cup and sample the world's best coffees along with rubbings shoulders with coffee royalty from all corners of the globe.
                    It's hard coming down to earth again after such an exciting and stimulating six days in Melbourne.

Comment

Originally posted by MorganGT View Post
                      This little 'machine' took my fancy - from the quick look I had when were were setting up, it looked like it might even be a working machine. I never got the chance to go back and look at it much closer to see if it had all the bits required to make it functional, but even if it wasn't I suspect it could have been made to function without much extra work. Would be a great little toy for a corner of the kitchen.
                      Thats a silvia boiler, might be missing the 3-way and pump

Comment

Originally posted by MorganGT View Post
                        This little 'machine' took my fancy...
                        The people who put this stand together were interior designers - an eclectic mix of interesting people.

Comment

Originally posted by tasadam View Post
                          The people who put this stand together were interior designers - an eclectic mix of interesting people.
                          Yep, I met them on the Wednesday night while they (and I ) were busy trying to get stands finished - they were still busy painting the wall behind that 'machine'. From what they said I think they had only just come together to form their little enterprise in the weeks leading up to MICE. Their stand made an interesting contrast to most others, which were either flashy/big $/lots of shiny expensive equipment or deliberately 'hipster' vintage/industrial/plain black or unpainted plywood. If all the stalls were cafes, they would have been one of the few that looked like an inviting and relaxing place to sit down with a coffee.
                          Some exhibitors seemed to be trying a bit too hard to be 'different' at all costs even where it made no sense, like the old Faema No-Stop 2 group being used on one stand that had most of the front panels removed, and had La Marzocco Linea taps and wands fitted to replace the Faema ones, but with the steam knobs sticking straight up through the top panel, which looked like an ergonomic nightmare.

Comment

The steampunk Silvia was built by Caleb Heinselman, he is one of the techs with 5 Senses in Melbourne. Worth googling some of his other work - really stunning stuff this guy gets up to.

Comment

Here is a link to my photos from MICE/WBC:

MICE2013 - a set on Flickr

I was working so didn't have time to take heaps, except of Francesco Sanapo the Italian competitor because I had the honour and pleasure of roasting his competition coffee, Ethiopia Nekisse N2 from Ninety Plus... There is still a few kilos of his comp coffee leftover and it is for sale if anyone is keen, its a tiny bit past peak age now (roasted 13th May) but its still pretty damn amazing! $15 for 250gm + postage, email ben@genovese.com.au

Comment

Working...
                              X