Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulletproof "upgraded" coffee???? Really

Has anyone looked into this product Bulletproof® Upgraded
    Their claims are on the home page there. They seem to claim a great deal... It seems to be sweeping the "paleo" *palmface movement at the moment.
    One of their biggest claims seems to be (or at least implies) that they are one of the few roasted beans to be mycotoxin free... Pffff

I have heard of it before, looked into it a while back. Seems to be US based so I didn't really bother looking much more. I'm happy getting fresh roasted beans from the local places.
    I thought fermentation was part of the normal process's when extracting the beans. Weather or not this creates mould on the bean which is potentially harmful, I don't know.

Comment

I think this is my favorite testimonial:

I’ve been drinking BulletProof Coffee for 2 weeks now. Not only do I feel smarter & locked in, I think that I can now predict the future.”

By locked in, does he mean he bought the 5 pound bag and has to drink it?

A bit more serious now,

A friend a while back mentioned to me about mould free coffee beans. That seems to be something a little different about these beans?

Comment

A thread on Sweet Maria's forum has covered the mycotoxin fairly well:
        Sweet Maria's Web Forum • View topic - Mold-free coffee

Another good read here:
        Spotlight: Ochratoxin A (OTA) in coffee

Main points are that:
        Mycotoxins are produced by mould. Not all mould will produce it and not at specific levels.
        The drying process is the most likely point where the mould issue will come about NOT the type of process (wet, natural, honey..)

Another reference to "bullet proof coffee" is a preparation not brand.
        Coffee is mixed with milk butter rather than milk. This also is sweeping the paleo movement.
        Bit strange as milk butter is not technically paleo. There is some evidence that northern Europeans have evolved to handle dairy so some may argue that milk and diary products can fit into a paleo diet if one is tolerant to it.

Coffee is on the edge case for a paleo diet as well along with cacao and alcohol. While coffee shrubs would have been present during the palaeolithic era it would be highly unlikely that coffee would be in the diet of humans at that point.
        The irony is that most mycotoxins in the human diet comes from grains......

This really looks like a snake oil/cash in.

Comment

We should go back to ancient medicine as well; bring back the average life span of 30 years!
          Yet another diet fad relying on scientific sounding words and practices but not adhering to any accepted scientifically accepted testing and replication process.
          Really, all a snob wants is a good cup of coffee.

Comment

Set my marketing hype BS detector off for sure....

Comment

A workmate's just bought some of this, I'm pretty interested to hear the results of this coffee+butter combination too :S

Comment

It's just another stupid tax. I don't feel particularly bad for those that buy it.

Comment

there was a thread in the geek forum where a guy was asking how he can modify his Silvia heating temp to cut off at around 65c... reason is that he didnt want to boil the water and kill off the water's "nutrient"?!?..... plenty of strange people out there with strange believes....

Comment

Maybe he uses vitamin water or nutrient water

I have hunted down a nice blog that did a lot to nail the bullet proof coffin shut.

Not enough mould to cause a problem, even in positive samples. The aforementioned brand tests (apparently) for only one type of toxin, and that toxin is the least concerning. Though as stated its not much of a problem anyway.
                    Storage and transport seems to be another opportunity for mould growth, so unless they use teleportation then it's flawed at least at that point...but as stated its not a significant problem anyway. It does indeed seem just another branding fad. It does irk me quite significantly. I am in the health care industry and thus so are many people in my social networks and THAT is the bit that is most irksome. They post with "authority". The whole paleo move not is dripping with poorly informed rhetoric. Sigh.

Comment

This is the blog post Bulletproof coffee: scam or awesome? - PaleoHacks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                        Set my marketing hype BS detector off for sure....
                        Without naming brands I spied milk in the supermarket last night that claimed to be "gluten free".

Comment

It does work mainly by slwoing the digestion if caffeine but more slowly than usual. Because of the low dose of caffeine your getting in this coffee you get more of a sustained green tea buzz so after a few days your adrenals get a break especially the coffee fiends amongst us. Pretty common to add butter to tea in India and china

Comment

Bulletproof "upgraded" coffee???? Really

Originally posted by jnashm View Post
                            It does work mainly by slwoing the digestion if caffeine but more slowly than usual. Because of the low dose of caffeine your getting in this coffee you get more of a sustained green tea buzz so after a few days your adrenals get a break especially the coffee fiends amongst us. Pretty common to add butter to tea in India and china
                            That makes no sense. What is the mechanism that slows the "digestion" of caffeine?

Comment

The fat digestion time rather than straight coffee

Comment

Working...
                              X