Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You cant produce good coffee with soy.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You cant produce good coffee with soy.

    This claim, along with a number of others, first in Oz to import green beans etc is guaranteed to stir the pot.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/exec...-1226700052214
    Last edited by Yelta; 20 August 2013, 03:16 PM.

  • #2
    Maybe she meant the first to import them for her shops?

    That comes across as a advertorial piece - I'm thinking there would also be an advert for her cafés on the page...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Yelta View Post
      This claim, along with a number of others, first in Oz to import green beans etc is guaranteed to stir the pot.
      Man accused of poisoning partner's coffee with rat poison
      *is confused* "Man accused of poisoning partner's coffee with rat poison"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jbrewster View Post
        *is confused* "Man accused of poisoning partner's coffee with rat poison"
        Sorry JB, not having a good day, I think I've got the right link up now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Yelta View Post
          Sorry JB, not having a good day, I think I've got the right link up now.
          Yeah, link works now, but there is so much BS in there... If you can't texture Soy without curdling you're doing it wrong...

          Was the first to import green coffee in 2008, yeah, right...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jbrewster View Post
            If you can't texture Soy without curdling you're doing it wrong...

            Was the first to import green coffee in 2008, yeah, right...
            Never tried to steam soy so cant comment (it can obviously be done)

            Re first to import in 2008, wonder what Andy would have to say about that?

            Comment


            • #7
              Soy is easy to work with if you know what you are doing:

              1) Never heat above 55degrees.
              2) Never use a bean with high acidity.

              ...Simple...

              Above 55 degrees will Curdle instantly.
              High acidity beans react instantly with Soy and are impossible not to curdle.

              ...Simple...

              I can bet money on the fact that their blend has a high acidic bean in there which is restricting the soy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah- We have seen this one before.

                They roast so light that their hipster coffee curdles soy from 10m away. Far be it from me to suggest that they could consider roasting an appropriate blend which might work well with milk (and soy for that matter). I guess lemons and soy have never been compatible..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Like this quote

                  "game on for the post-espresso (or "third wave") coffee movement"

                  Somehow I have a feeling the term "post espresso" may just be a tad premature.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We never did soy based drinks in our shop either, mostly because the stink of it made me ill. We also had 27 varieties of coffee to pick from in 1998. Guess that make me more of pioneer than her. I hardly think she's a pioneer of much at all.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Pour overs easier than a cup of tea or a nespresso? Better, sure. But hard to defend 'easier'.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bunch of grumpy old men you lot.

                        Not really sure what happened to this forum. It used to embrace and find inspiration in third wave coffee.
                        Ho Hum.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That's a shame. I thought Market Lane had better baristas than that - can't serve soy without curdling? Seriously?!

                          Maybe the problem was just cheap soy. Or maybe not.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fruity View Post
                            That's a shame. I thought Market Lane had better baristas than that - can't serve soy without curdling? Seriously?!

                            Maybe the problem was just cheap soy. Or maybe not.
                            They do have good barista's but they also roast very light. The same thing happens with the decaf blend I use at work. I respect them for not wanting to serve a product that doesn't work with their beans. There is space in the coffee industry for many styles and tastes. Not sure why everyone wants it done the same way.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by muppet_man67 View Post
                              They do have good barista's but they also roast very light. The same thing happens with the decaf blend I use at work. I respect them for not wanting to serve a product that doesn't work with their beans. There is space in the coffee industry for many styles and tastes. Not sure why everyone wants it done the same way.
                              Fair enough. But that article implies that it can't be done, not that they've painted themselves into a corner with light roasts.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X