Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grind settings for plunger???

Hi guys,

Im trying to help a friend grind beans for plunger use.

As I have a cimbali cadet grinder, and have never ground for plunger before, how much coarser will I need to go? My setting is usually around the 6-8 mark for espresso.
    I.e. should i double or triple the courseness?

Can someone with a cimbali cadet or similar please let me know?

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Zach

Re: Grind settings for plunger???

Hi Zach- go for something which looks like its all grit rather than powder. Numerical settings dont mean too much as individual grinders will differ dramatically. Plungers are not that sensitive to grind. If its too hard to plunge, go a little coarser next time....

Good luck

2mcm

Comment

Thanks 2mcm.

Looks like theres alot of knob turning to do!

Cheers,
      Zach

Comment

Yes...one of the beautiful things about the Cadet is the worm driven stepless adjustment....infinite!....But very unfriendly to non-espresso based drinks when you need to change settings.

Comment

I dont grind for plunger but if I did I think I would try and do something clever with a rechargable screwdriver to whizz up the other end of the scale quickly - not quite sure how I would hook it up but the idea has potential.

Chris

Comment

Not exactly the same idea, but last time I dropped back to Adelaide to visit my parents I discovered how my dad uses his hand grinder for his grounds in jug, pour through sieve setup after finding the hand crank too slow... The results were actually quite drinkable, though particle size was all over the place as youd expect from a cheap burr grinder. No shortage of intuition from those who have tinkered for years!

Comment

hmmm...I think it would be so much fun trying to explain some of our setups if there were a police raid...

"oh no officer, those 30 kilos of beans are for my own private use, really!"

Comment

My kids asked where I was going tonight and when I told them I was going to Newtown to buy some plants...I got very strange looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1173336141/0#5 date=1173863754
                  Not exactly the same idea, but last time I dropped back to Adelaide to visit my parents I discovered how my dad uses his hand grinder for his grounds in jug, pour through sieve setup after finding the hand crank too slow... The results were actually quite drinkable, though particle size was all over the place as youd expect from a cheap burr grinder. No shortage of intuition from those who have tinkered for years!

I too have this grind / cannister combo, might have to take this into work and use this setup with the drill. I like it.
                  I have the EM0480 grinder for home so can easily dial in and out of espresso and plunger grinds but due to 5 kg ofroasted beans landing on my door step last week I decided to take some coffee into work but with no means of grinding the beans.

The manual grinder and drill combo might do the trick.
                  Cheers Greg, See you tomorrow at Epic for the bean pickup.

Comment

Working...
                  X