Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Beans in Melbourne

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fresh Beans in Melbourne

    Where in Melbourne can you get fresh beans on a Sunday?

    I normally buy them on line but Ive run out for the long weekend. Now this is a disaster!!! I refuse to buy supermarket coffee, after all I am a snob. I only go to Melbourne once a fortnight and I will be going down on Sunday.

  • #2
    Re: Fresh Beans in Melbourne

    Originally posted by barri link=1173486786/0#0 date=1173486786
    Where in Melbourne can you get fresh beans on a Sunday?

    I normally buy them on line but Ive run out for the long weekend. Now this is a disaster!!!    I refuse to buy supermarket coffee, after all I am a snob.   I only go to Melbourne once a fortnight and I will be going down on Sunday.

    Try St Ali, Barri...Better still, grab a starter pack, Gene Cafe and roll your own! 8-)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Fresh Beans in Melbourne

      Or even Veneziano in Abbotsford (another site sponsor). Their Veneziano Estate blend is quite nice.

      You can even roast your own at Veneziano for $16 I think...plus the cost of the green beans (from them or your own that you bring along)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Fresh Beans in Melbourne

        Originally posted by Wushoes link=1173486786/0#2 date=1173487450
        Or even Veneziano in Abbotsford (another site sponsor). Their Veneziano Estate blend is quite nice.

        You can even roast your own at Veneziano for $16 I think...plus the cost of the green beans (from them or your own that you bring along)
        Yep- always a great place to get truely fresh...Only problem is that theyre closed on Sunday

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Fresh Beans in Melbourne

          Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1173486786/0#1 date=1173487174
          Originally posted by barri link=1173486786/0#0 date=1173486786
          Where in Melbourne can you get fresh beans on a Sunday?

          I normally buy them on line but Ive run out for the long weekend. Now this is a disaster!!! I refuse to buy supermarket coffee, after all I am a snob. I only go to Melbourne once a fortnight and I will be going down on Sunday.

          Try St Ali, Barri...Better still, grab a starter pack, Gene Cafe and roll your own! 8-)

          Thanks 2MCM. I just checked their website and they are open on a Sunday.

          Ill be better organised next time! :-[

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Fresh Beans in Melbourne

            Hi barri,

            St Ali is definitely the place to go on a Sunday, especially if you want to have a nice, relaxed brunch while youre at it.

            Just to clarify our offerings:

            *The roast your own thing is $14/$16/$18 for 600g, depending on the beans or $6 if you would like to bring your own in. After moisture loss, you end up with a half kilo, in round terms.

            *We have some special greens around every now and then, and the prices on that vary. At the moment, its Yauco Selecto and Yemen Mattari,
            with some genuine JBM possibly on the horizon.

            *There are usually 5 or 6 blends and 3 or 4 single origins in the hoppers. We couldnt think of a good way to display roast dates, so please excuse us if we have to duck around into the office area to read them off the whiteboard.

            *Decaf sits in a cupboard because it looks ugly.

            *Beyond that, Im afraid that we cant help you!

            Well be revamping our online shopping cart and the rest of our webpage at some stage soon, too.

            Cheers,

            Luca

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Fresh Beans in Melbourne

              Luca - for displaying your roast date could you not have a plastic disc or somthing that you can stick a printout from a dymo. You can get different coloured tapes for them and the labels peel off a plastic disc quite easily to be replaced with each new batch.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Fresh Beans in Melbourne

                Originally posted by Veneziano Caffe link=1173486786/0#5 date=1173530152
                Hi barri,

                St Ali is definitely the place to go on a Sunday, especially if you want to have a nice, relaxed brunch while youre at it.

                Just to clarify our offerings:

                *The roast your own thing is $14/$16/$18 for 600g, depending on the beans or $6 if you would like to bring your own in.  After moisture loss, you end up with a half kilo, in round terms.  

                *We have some special greens around every now and then, and the prices on that vary.  At the moment, its Yauco Selecto and Yemen Mattari,
                with some genuine JBM possibly on the horizon.  

                (snip)
                *Decaf sits in a cupboard because it looks ugly.  

                (snip)
                Luca
                Luca, is that because decaf is dark and oily? At least, thats how mine come out.

                --Robusto

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Fresh Beans in Melbourne

                  Luca - for displaying your roast date could you not have a plastic disc or somthing that you can stick a printout from a dymo. You can get different coloured tapes for them and the labels peel off a plastic disc quite easily to be replaced with each new batch.
                  Thanks for the idea, lucinda. We thought of a similar system, but figured that by the time that we put the blend name, price and roast date up everything would either be written too small to read, or it would take up so much space that you couldnt really see the coffee in the hoppers! Believe it or not, but one problem with roast dates is that it has to be very clearly explained that it is a roast date otherwise people mistake it for a used-by date I think that the current system will meet everyones needs. The practical consequence is that the store is set up so that we have to actually talk to people, which is never a bad thing.

                  Originally posted by robusto link=1173486786/0#7 date=1173589184
                  Originally posted by Veneziano Caffe link=1173486786/0#5 date=1173530152
                  *Decaf sits in a cupboard because it looks ugly.
                  Luca, is that because decaf is dark and oily? At least, thats how mine come out.
                  Yep; it certainly does come out dark and it oils up much faster than other beans. If we put it in the hoppers it would just look awful. Im not at all partial to decaf, but I tried some the other day and was surprised that it was actually very sweet, even though it looked terrible. Cest la vie!

                  Cheers,

                  Luca

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Fresh Beans in Melbourne

                    Originally posted by Veneziano Caffe link=1173486786/0#5 date=1173530152
                    Hi barri,

                    St Ali is definitely the place to go on a Sunday, especially if you want to have a nice, relaxed brunch while youre at it.
                    OK! I went there yesterday (Sunday) and what a weird place. I had to drive around the block twice to find it. Its surrounded by factories and the only way I realized it was St Alis was by the smell. Theres no sign out front just a logo. Anyway beans were fresh and I can now enjoy a great long weekend.

                    PS Isnt interesting how a thread about buying fresh beans on a Sunday in Melb. turns into a discussion about labeling :-?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X