Smoking Snobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Snobs?

Im not, but the smoking doco on the SBS is on and Im watching.
    One sample smoker said he loves a coffee then a smoke in the morning.
    It warps the palette I would think, but that doesnt mean its not just another aspect of "personal taste"!

Re: Smoking Snobs?

I tried smoking for a few weeks over 30 years ago (typical teenager - the smoking, not the two weeks bit).
    I tried a few different brands of cigarettes and cigars.
    They all had different tastes, so I can see where they are coming from.

However, reformed smokers I have known all comment about their newly recovered sense of taste.

Comment

I smoked for a few years on and off. Than, as a nursing student, I looked after a patient with chronic obstructive airways disease and decided that I didnt want to carry an oxygen tank with me everywhere I went just to be able to breathe, or be unable to even get out of bed without puffing and panting and struggling to catch my breath.

Gave up mighty fast (with the help of influenza).

Comment

Smoking = YUCK! The mere mention of Smoking and Coffee is an insult to our wonderful drink.

IMHO of course ;-)

Comment

I used to smoke for a long time. 20 years.
          Yes it distorts the taste buds, but it is a constant distort.
          EG: You get used to it always tasting that way.
          I would say it mutes the taste of things. They still taste the same, but less strong.

Its only when you give up, that you realise how much of the taste it was masking. Well, in my case and a few others Ive spoken to anyway.

The other thing you notice when you give up smoking, everyone around you STINKS!

Smoking kills the sense of smell (which is obviously connected to the sense of tatse) a lot more.

Seriousy, taking public transport after giving up smoking was nearly enough to make me take it up again.

Smokers become oblivious to their smoky scent.
          Garlic eaters, non-bathers, perfume offenders all do the same!

Of course, its worse if you have someone who combine multiple offences!

Comment

I love a good smoke and coffee with mates...I should quit

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1173613122/0#5 date=1173675256
              I love a good smoke and coffee with mates...I should quit
              Eh..... guess I must emmmm .... must confess.... phew said it!!!

Me too.... but been too many years now Im afraid.....

Comment

Ive been off and on for 3 years....I can quit if I want to. Kind of hard when your girlfriend is a chain smoker too

Comment

OMG JabaB, you may as well keep your beans in the freezer for a year for all the difference youre going to notice.  

Wushoes, the solution is simple: Get a new girlfriend. ;D

Comment

My sentiments exactly Sparkly.

Ive never smoked, hate the thought of people putting that putrid pollution down their lungs, and therefore everyone within 50 metres of them. It follows them around. You can always tell if someones smoked within the last 30 minutes if they are close enough. You can smell the smoke trying to escape the lifts at work after people have gone outside for their little puff.

As above, surely this isnt good for ones taste buds ..... if its that bad for ones lungs ......

enough said.

Belinda

Comment

I guess weve flushed out a couple of smokers with this thread. The question is now what do we do with them?

Comment

Belinda,

Im sure it does affect ones taste - to some extent..... but as our senses are logarithmic ..... the much stronger aroma and possibly taste..... is placed in the background (which is why smokers cant smell other smokers like the non smokers can - and also why reformed smokers are so sensitive to it......)

Just remember in its day (dare I say in my day!) it was just as social as having a great coffee is today..... and if you didnt enjoy a cigarette you were a social leper.

God forbid one day someone finds out coffee is bad for us!! - you never know it could happen..... its so far made smoking a totally antisocial habit, alcohol is now coming a close second...... and all those free radicals in coffee due to the roasting process.... :P

I think Ill go slash my wrists now.

Comment

As a sparky Im sure you could devise some sufficiently charged deterrent device that detects smoke and issues a low voltage response. . .

Pavlov, I tell you! Look to Pavlov!

Comment

Hold on about the alcohol. Maybe bad alcohol, like XXXX, but lets keep the good stuff. Youll be prying the black sambucca out of my cold dead hands.

What I hate most about smoking is the effect it has on others. Its very invasive.

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1173613122/0#12 date=1173677316
                              As a sparky Im sure you could devise some sufficiently charged deterrent device that detects smoke and issues a low voltage response. . .

Pavlov, I tell you! Look to Pavlov!
                              I think youll want a high voltage/low current response... like the cat-zapper 2000 I had on the books once to deter the neighbours cat from entering our house, stealing our cats food and pissing on our rugs.

Comment

Working...
                              X