Choice Magazine survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice Magazine survey

Choice Magazine has just surveyed manual and semi-automatic machines for under $1000.
    I havent paid to read their findings, but doubt if theyd be very useful, as although the machines surveyed include the Silvia and ECM Botticelli, theyve ignored the appropriate Sunbeam machine, the 6910. and set up against Silvia etc their budget 5600 which sells for only approx $250. Hardly a proper comparison.....
    Heres a list of the machines theyve surveyed ... if anyone knows the survey results, please let us know.
    * ASCASO Dream M.F
    * BODUM 3020 Euro Granos
    * BREVILLE 800ES
    * DELONGHI Le Cube EN185.M + Aeroccino
    * ECM Botticelli II
    * KENWOOD ES630
    * KRUPS XP 4050
    * LA PAVONI Eurobar De Luxe V230
    * MAGIMIX LExpresso Program Automatic 11233
    * RANCILIO Miss Silvia
    * SAECO Via Venezia Espresso
    * SOLIS Crema SL 90
    * STARBUCKS Barista
    * SUNBEAM Café Latte EM5600
    * VICE VERSA Koala

Re: Choice Magazine survey

My Mum told me about this over the phone, apparently Silvia ended up about half way down the list and the Magimix came out on top. It takes quite a bit of explaining to someone not in the know how the test is cr*p. I work with someone who used to work at Choice and he reckons its best used as toilet paper...

Comment

Sounds like similar results to their survey last year, total bull.

Whod want their advice, when you get the best advice here.

Comment

I saw a recent copy of house and garden that had a similar article on all sorts of espresso machines. I think they listed a 6900 or a 6910, but as far as serious machines went that was it about it. I didnt even both reading it. Ill have a look tonight and see what it said. I don;t know if they were comparing machines or just listing what was around.

Comment

This has already been discussed.
          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1166398601/15#15

Comment

Thought it had a familiar ring to it. I wouldnt think Choice would do a similar survey so soon.

--Robusto

Comment

Actually, this is a new survey and in the most recent issue of Choice magazine...

Comment

Anyone with a copy care to enlighten us on which "highly regarded" palates they chose to use this time?  :-?...

If they wanted real ratings, theyd give em to us.... I can see it now:

#1- Crap
                #2- Wannabe crap
                #3- Pressurised P/f crap
                #4- Made by Kraps
                #5- Works now but in 3 months it will be crap...and so on....

Or perhaps Im just a cynic  ;D

Comment

Ummm... I have read the article and it was the same plates

My boss dropped a copy on my desk last week, I dont have easy access to a scanner else I would have scanned it for all to giggle.

The highlight of the article was a single line that mentioned something like "you can even roast your own" in reference to fresh coffee is best.

Ill grab the magazine at work tomorrow so I can quote it properly.

Comment

All is now clear then....the winner was clearly the one which produced the stenciled chocky pattern on top ;D

Comment

Im sure you would all agree with this quote from their website:

Espresso machines - 5 minute CHOICE

Looking for an espresso machine? Heres what to look for:

A pump or pump thermoblock machine is a must if you want to:

* Make Italian-style espresso with a good crema.

* Make consecutive cups of espresso. Steam machines get quite hot and should cool down between cups.

* Froth milk (say for hot chocolate) without making coffee. With most steam machines you have to make coffee first.

Also, look for:

* A removable water container — it makes filling the machine easier.

* A removable drip tray — its easier to keep clean.

* Easy-to-clean surfaces (no cracks or grooves).

* Controls should be easy to use.

* The filter basket holder should hold the basket securely in place and be easy to clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1173669662/0#10 date=1173699890
                        Im sure you would all agree with this quote from their website ...
                        Most definitely! Other desirable features to look for include:

*Standard plug to conveniently obtain power from your household supply

*Solid case to provide structural integrity

*Visible exterior so that you dont lose it

*Water container made of waterproof material

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by Beanmeister link=1173669662/0#6 date=1173697272
                          Actually, this is a new survey and in the most recent issue of Choice magazine...
                          My latest copy doesnt seem to have arrived; but its extremely unusual for them to test the exact same list of machines and so soon.

grendels post was 18 Dec, its not quite 3 months so that would mean no more than 2 issues ago.

Have you got the last few copies handy (I dont) so you can double check?

Comment

My latest copy doesnt seem to have arrived; but its extremely unusual for them to test the exact same list of machines and so soon.

grendels post was 18 Dec, its not quite 3 months so that would mean no more than 2 issues ago.

Have you got the last few copies handy (I dont) so you can double check?
                            Apologies Thundergod, it appears that it is the December issue (my parents and their subscription is interstate so I cant check that way) but a bit of a web search reveals that youre correct. Perhaps they received it a month late or hadnt had a chance to read it before Christmas and so only just rediscovered that issue. The coincidence of someone creating a new thread about it convinced me that it was the latest one...

Comment

I think Im still an on-line subscriber to Choice.... Ill look it up tonight and try to cut and paste some handy hints for us all.

--Robusto

Comment

Working...
                              X