Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melbourne Snobs - a little help if you will

Howdy!

I was wondering if anyone knows of a place in the city that sells decent ground coffee. I was told of a place in Richmond, but its a bit hard to get to during the week. If anyone knows somewhere in the ctiy that has decent coffee and will grind it properly, please let me know!

Also, I still have some coffee left from my last purchase (was ground too fine!). Even though it is probably very close to stale, I want to get a stovetop coffee maker to be able to use up the last of the coffee. Do you think I can find one??? Ive looked everywhere! Well, only two places, but I tried! If anyone knows of where I can buy one of these (also in the city) it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!!

Re: Melbourne Snobs - a little help if you will

Originally posted by Lauren link=1173827874/0#0 date=1173827874
    Also, I still have some coffee left from my last purchase (was ground too fine!). Even though it is probably very close to stale, I want to get a stovetop coffee maker to be able to use up the last of the coffee. Do you think I can find one??? Ive looked everywhere! Well, only two places, but I tried! If anyone knows of where I can buy one of these (also in the city) it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!!
    Hi Lauren,

Cant help you with pre-ground coffee in Melbourne..... or even here on Perth. I wouldnt touch the stuff. You cant get the grind just right or make adjustments to grind size like you need to to get the best espresso.

The main reason I responded is your comment "Even though it is probably very close to stale,"....

Ground coffee is stale three minutes after grinding! - It is "close to stale" by the time you pay for it - and stale by the time you get it home (unless you live next to the shop!) And that is stale for any method of extraction.......

You really need to get yourself a grinder.

Comment

Yeah I know. Unfortunaley Im not in any financial position to get a decent grinder (or even a bad cheap one!!!)

Comment

You might need to venture out of the city and find a deli.
        I havent seen one yet that doesnt sell moka pots.

What about the Victoria or South Melbourne Markets?
        http://www.you.com.au/market-melbourne.html

Comment

Hi there Lauren,

You can definitely get the Moka pots at, and near, the Victoria Market... there is a coffee shop or two on Elizabeth St that has them, and another on Victoria St - both just outside the Market. If you can go as far as Sydney Rd in Brunswick, there is an Italian grocery called "Meditteranian" that sells a large range reasonably cheaply.

If I remember correctly, the coffee shop outside the market on Elizabeth St used to roast onsite - Im not sure if they still do.

bean_junky

Comment

Lauren,
            only place I know of in the middle of town is Quist at 166 Little Collins Street between Exhibition & Russel I think. Having said that, I make a regular saturday morning trip to Abbotsford to buy my coffee from our friends at Veneziano.

*Hopes sponsor plug washes away mentioning of non-sponsor sin*

Comment

Even IKEA sells moka pots.

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1173827874/0#6 date=1173835497
                Even IKEA sells moka pots.
                Yes, but theyre called Gersplutünfloet and you have to assemble them yourself.

Comment

At least the assembly instructions only have pictures for us blokes. If they had words, they would be the size of a novel.

Comment

Stove tops are everywhere. Myer has them. everyone has them.

But if you want quality and easy to clean, go for a heavy stainless steel one. Many on sale now are polished aluminium, very thin. Theyll begin to pit and discolour very soon after use.

Also -- important -- make sure you can readily buy replacement seals for them. This aspect can be a pain, and one size doesnt fit all.

--Robusto

Comment

Hrmm, I must not have looked very hard!!!

By the sounds of it Ill have to start making regular weekend trips to get coffee. It just gets a little tricky without a car. Hence why I was trying to find somewhere in the city!

Comment

Veneziano Cafe grinds coffee. I am sure Luca will pop in here and tell you what coffees he has going atm. And I am sure he would do a grind to suit your needs.

Matchbox or House sell stove top coffee makers. I have seen them in their stores.

Hope this helps!

-Linda

Comment

Working...
                        X