Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User IDs and where they appear...

Ok, please tell me this...

When I log into the site my user id always appears first in the list of users on line (I like that - feeds my ego/recognises my importance)

Other user IDs keep shifting positions

Oh great Mods in the sky...why is it so?

Re: User IDs and where they appear...

Dennis,

Im not a Mod in the sky - not even a Mod ;D

When you access the site.... at that very instant you are the last person to login... so you are at the top of the tree..... and get displayed first....

Then you access a thread, again you are the last person to "do" something so you go to the top of the class.... whilst you are reading the thread others login or access a thread..... they have done something more recently than you have.... so they get "promoted"..... Yeah- it also means you get demoted!!

Basically the list is in order of how long since you did something.... with the most recent being first..... so whilst I type this Im slipping down.... down.... down..... but as soon as I hit "Post" Ill be back up again..... for a few tenths of a second.

Just by way of explanation of "doing something" - it means requesting something from or sending something to the server..... including doing a page refresh. Whilst typing or reading a thread you are viewing a static page in your browser (or entering data in fields - again in your browser - nothing is going to the server)..... your view of the world isnt changing - you are still number one in your world..... but everyone else sees you dropping down the list.

Comment

Cool - thanks for the explanation JavaB

Guess Ill just keep hitting refresh so that I can stay on top of this hill o beans

Comment

Wow, the things you can learn around here.

I have to say I couldnt have answered that one (or even noticed it happens!)

...till now.

Comment

Coincidently, after .... let me check ..... 2 years here, I only noticed it today. I was wondering why my humble name was head of the list for no apparent reason.

--Robusto

Comment

HeHe...

I do a refresh from time to time and check which Mods are really active...... and those who are just browsing from time to time.....

If their name doesnt come to the top of the pile..... they are just cruising....

Comment

Or have left their computer and broadband on whilst theyre actually at work, serving coffee to the masses...

Comment

Or are in the middle of composing a long post. ;D

Java "Now who would do such a thing?!" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Id been wondering about how the priorities were worked out.

Thanks JavaB for your enlightenment.

Comment

Working...
                  X