Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Store idea

I have a dream...

Open a little shop in a suburban shopping complex (not a big westfield) that sells predominantly takeaway coffee, tea, the odd slice, muffins, etc. - so not a cafe but a place that had a reputation for great coffee and that changed consistently so that people could come in and find new things from time to time. Having a range of machines, roasted beans, some great chocolates, and maybe selling a different coffee for the takeaways every week. Maybe having closed sundays for coffee appreciation classes by 2mcm, etc.

I know I dont have the expertise, but certainly have the passion. Maybe some of our sponsors might be interested in sharing space? eg. Pullman tampers on the shelf, next to the Pressos, and of course a selection of Andys CoffeeSnobs Brown...you get the idea.

Do you think this would work?

Re: Store idea

Stock on consignment is a concept that works really well if the

store manager:
    a. keeps great records.
    b. looks after the stock.
    c. sends regular statements (and payments)
    d. doesnt expect too much margin.

supplier:
    a. provides quality equipment
    b. manages stock levels
    c. trusts the store manager!
    d. doesnt expect to much margin.

I came across a hand craft store in Auckland a few years ago called... Craft World.. not too subtle but the whole of the stock was on consignment and the "business" provided registers, layby, security etc. in return for a percentage of sale. This place was HUGE and full of tourists/shoppers so Im sure everyone was winning.

As for the merits of opening a cafe/coffee shop in the "burbs" Ill let someone else with experiance answer that.

Comment

Put it in a business plan and have it to my lawyers by the end of the month and Ill tell you if it will fly.

Seriously, there are some phrases in your post that dont really go with the notion of a going concern.

Not really a cafe - what is it then?
      Reputation for great coffee that changed consistently - Change reputation or coffee?
      Range of machines - How many? Who pays for them? Plumbed in multi groups or stand alones that require their own power and 30 minute warm-up?
      Roasted beans - On site? Or just reselling?

Will it work? Depends. You really do need a plan. Passion without a plan is what causes most small businesses (and some big) to fold.

Comment

Thanks Andy and fatboy - this will evole over the next few weeks.

in the meantime just to clarify:
        Not a cafe - its a coffee shop
        Rep for great coffee and change - try a different coffee every week...not the same ol blend
        Machine range - Andy answered that and home machines stand alones only
        Definitely reselling Andys beans

I know I need a business plan...was self-employed in construction industry for almost 20 years - at the moment Im looking for feedback on a concept and appreciate peoples use of imagination/suggestions.

Comment

Location, location, location - where in particular are you thinking of? You need to first choose your area, somewhere that people will come to you because they like your idea. Then you need to find the one place in that area that everyone else walks past.

Comment

Hi Dennis,

Renzo and I had a similar dream, and we actually made it come true..(without the muffins & chocolate part that is..)

In our little coffee dream world, we rotate a blend every day for our take always, and we didnt stop there: we created a workshop where we repair sick machines, we sell spare parts for all the different brands, we have "closed Saturdays" with Hazel De Los Reyes as our Queen in reign, and we even made a kids world within our dream world: where little ones gets entertained by fairies when Mom & Dad learn how to make coffees.....

You see, we called it: "Di Bartoli Coffee Centre". And because were having so much fun running it, why not looking for a partenr to open our second store with and share that fun?

Here is an idea for you...

Comment

Heck sounds too good to be true. Now if only such a place felt like opening in WA. Much rather work there than in a variety store or as a fill-in gardener, courier driver or labourer, which are my options at the moment .

Greg dreams of Di Bartoli WA Inc phile

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1173936253/0#6 date=1173938813
                Greg dreams of Di Bartoli WA Inc phile
                Greg,

I reckon that would be a fantastic idea..... and there is a very real need for a Di Bartoli type operation here in Perth (we really are starved for great coffee equipment retailers as Im sure you know)....

And I must admit Im VERY impressed by Renzos style of operation..... hes just a little too far East!!

Food for thought Id say Greg..... and team it up with Andys Brown beans (maybe even some greens ), your tampers......

You could have roasting sessions.... to show people how easy it is to roast your own (Im sure a few friendly Snobs here would help)..... Snob meeting place (even BeanBay collection point to get more customers through the door)....... my mind is going crazy at the possibilities!

Mmmmm definitely worth thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Di Bartoli link=1173936253/0#5 date=1173938280
                  Hi Dennis,

Renzo and I had a similar dream, and we actually made it come true..(without the muffins & chocolate part that is..)

In our little coffee dream world, we rotate a blend every day for our take always, and we didnt stop there: we created a workshop where we repair sick machines, we sell spare parts for all the different brands, we have "closed Saturdays" with Hazel De Los Reyes as our Queen in reign, and we even made a kids world within our dream world: where little ones gets entertained by fairies when Mom & Dad learn how to make coffees.....

You see, we called it: "Di Bartoli Coffee Centre". And because were having so much fun running it, why not looking for a partenr to open our second store with and share that fun?

Here is an idea for you...
                  Oh, I think we need to meet! Perhaps this Saturday at your store?

Comment

From acorns grow the big things.  Could be the start of a new WA enterprise here.  

But Id try to avoid meeting Brian Burke for a leg up.

--Robusto

Comment

I did think that when I mentioned Di Bartoli WA Inc - intended as a composite phrase, definitely not one to be split down the middle! Sounds a great idea but a big take-on... :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1173936253/0#10 date=1173946666
                        Sounds a great idea but a big take-on...
                        Yep, it is a big take-on....... but potentially also could generate a big return......

Renzo and "partner" could provide some seriously needed services over here..... and with your background and interest.... and your passion for coffee.....

And Robusto is correct...... Just look what that little acorn turns into!

Comment

Oh you evil people! Actually Ive thought of something like that in the past but ideally with a shopfront roastery like Simply Coffee. There are heaps of coffee shops over here, not many good ones admittedly, but then while I have the passion I hardly have any experience. Sounds like a similar position to Dennis.

Now with JavaB as a consultant... Who knows how much it costs to get a shop going though...

Comment

Ah, the aroma of roasting coffee will be a great drawcard (environment protection authority and council regulations permitting).

Perhaps a slightly rustic look, coffee beans in sacks, a couple of old chunky iron weighing scales for decor. Have a latte while your beans are roasted....

JavaB instructing the customer in how to get the optimum performance from the newest HX model on sale "Trust me, Im a Coffeesnob"....

And the media coverage: "How an internet snob post became Perths latest cafe culture reality".

Go for it.

--Robusto

Comment

get to the back of the line boys!

Comment

Working...
                              X