The standard Australian Espresso Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The standard Australian Espresso Shot

Is there a general consensus on the standard Australian espresso shot?

For a double pour something like this....."30ml in 30secs from 20g"

What about a single?

Thoughts?

Sounds about right, depends on the filter I reckon. For my VST its 30 ml in 30 seconds but for my Precision its 30 ml in 27 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by HaroldHolt View Post
      For a double pour something like this....."30ml in 30secs from 20g"
      30ml is a single shot and is typically pulled from a 7-10g basket in 30 seconds.

Your 20g basket is typically used for a double, extracting 60ml in 30 seconds.

Java "In the basket" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

What am I drinking then?

Comment

Originally posted by astr0b0y View Post
          What am I drinking then?
          If you're doing 30ml from 20g you're pulling a ristretto.

Java "Ah the sweet nectar of life!" phile

Comment

It seems to be a shifting goalpost.

The traditional 7g single / 14 g double shot value has, in my view, long gone.

More and more, I'm seeing 18 - 20+ gram shots being presented as a 'single'.

The soon to be judged 'Australian International Coffee Awards' are using the following:

"Espresso
            A 25 - 30 ml beverage extracted for between 25 - 30 seconds from a double 18 gm VST basket dosed and packed to 18 grams.

Cappuccino
            A 160 ml beverage prepared with a single espresso shot and textured full cream milk with no chocolate."

At home I don't worry about definitions, but a ristretto is now a finer grind and a 35-40 second pour from 20+ grams
            in a 21 gm Precision from TC. (awesome filter by the way..... thanks Chris!)

If I was to advise anyone, I would follow the AICA definition.

Call it what you wish but all I worry about is how the coffee tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
              At home I don't worry about definitions, but a ristretto is now a finer grind and a 35-40 second pour from 20+ grams
              in a 21 gm Precision from TC. (awesome filter by the way..... thanks Chris!)
              Call it what you wish but all I worry about is how the coffee tastes.
              Second this
              Super slow, drippy double ristretto (round 40ml in 35-45 second - though never actually timed it!) from a naked p/f with 21g precision triple from TC - sweet nectar indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
                Second this
                Super slow, drippy double ristretto (round 40ml in 35-45 second - though never actually timed it!) from a naked p/f with 21g precision triple from TC - sweet nectar indeed!
                If it's thinner than 10W30, I've been too slow cutting the shot.

Comment

I find it odd that there isn't a "standard" out there. Sure you don't have to make the "standard", hell you don't have to even like it, but when we all say "espresso shot" how do we know what each of us means if there's no standard?

I generally make 2 espresso shots from a double basket of about 20g, poured for 25secs producing two 30ml shots - I always thought this was the mark. Im interested in using a naked portafilter, but you can only create 1 shot using a naked (I guess). So it seems (as highlighted above) single shots of 30ml from a double basket of 18-20grams are becoming more the "norm'

I'm also seeing cafes make their take aways differently to the in house cup, tending to put 2 shots in the take away vs a single "thicker" shot in the cafe cup.

If I'm making an espresso shot for 2 people at home, versus just myself I don't really change the way I do it, I just end up with an extra shot that sometimes I drink or sometimes I throw.............is that what others do??

Thanks

Comment

I use a naked, nothing wasted here.

As for standards, it's a bit like a food recipe - there's no "standard" for a cupcake but everyone knows one when they see it and there are commonly-agreed ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
                      If it's thinner than 10W30, I've been too slow cutting the shot.
                      10W30 at what temperature?

Comment

Originally posted by Hildy View Post
                        10W30 at what temperature?

There's always one... :P

Comment

Originally posted by HaroldHolt View Post
                          I find it odd that there isn't a "standard" out there. Sure you don't have to make the "standard", hell you don't have to even like it, but when we all say "espresso shot" how do we know what each of us means if there's no standard?
                          There are standards. Unfortunately today it seems every organization and person out there wants to make their own standard. So much so that in the end there is no real standard anymore.

Traditionally an espresso was the oft repeated 30ml in 30 seconds from 7g of coffee for a single with a double being 60ml in 30 seconds from 14g of coffee.

The traditional/classic cappuccino was the drink of 3's. Equal parts of espresso, steamed milk, and froth. And no, no chocolate sprinkled on top!

The most rigid and codified of the standards out there is probably those set by the Italian Espresso National Institute which defines an espresso as:

Necessary portion of ground coffee 7 g ± 0,5
                          Exit temperature of water from the unit 88°C ± 2°C
                          Temperature of the drink in the cup 67°C ± 3°C
                          Entry water pressure 9 bar ± 1
                          Percolation time 25 seconds ± 5 seconds
                          Viscosity at 45°C > 1,5 mPa s
                          Total fat > 2 mg/ml
                          Caffeine < 100 mg/cup
                          Millilitres in the cup (including froth) 25 ml ± 2,5

As you can see from the discussion here everybody has their own definition of what an espresso or cappuccino is.

The definition of what a ristretto is is just as fuzzy. The debate has been raging on here since day one as to whether it's (Using a double basket.) 30ml in 15 seconds, 60 ml in 60 seconds, or something in-between.

As a result of all this the only way one can be sure that others understand what they mean by 'a shot of espresso' is if they define exactly what that means to them.

Java "Standard? What's that?!? " phile

Comment

And I think you may have just identified why there seems to some shifting in the sands of 'standard definition'.

We (in Aus) don't (generally) do those overdeveloped, bitter, robusta laden 'traditional' Italian roasts any more;
                            7g of that is more than enough. :-D

So it stands to reason that a roast, pulled just short of second crack, is going to be so delicious and sweet that we just need to
                            bend the rules a bit, even change them.

I don't believe that we should follow rules, just because somebody says we have to, especially if they no longer apply. ;-D

Maybe there will be a new 'industry standard definition' put up as a benchmark sometime in the future but if we are
                            currently in a state of flux, exploration and questioning of the boundaries, then I'm happy to be a part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                              We (in Aus) don't (generally) do those overdeveloped, bitter, robusta laden 'traditional' Italian roasts any more;
                              7g of that is more than enough. :-D

So it stands to reason that a roast, pulled just short of second crack, is going to be so delicious and sweet that we just need to
                              bend the rules a bit, even change them..
                              Well,.. if you dont use the same product, or make it to the same standard, ..perhaps you shouldnt use the same names to describe it !
                              How about an "Ozpresso" ??

..Actually, thinking more on this, i believe many of us have already adopted "Short Black" for a regular 30ml shot. !

Comment

Working...
                              X