So suprised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So suprised

Ok so after doing some house work today, i decided some of my my pots needed a citric acid bath to clean then up. So i headed down to the store to buy some and grab a coffee while i was there as my new espresso machine hasnt arrived yet ( monday fingers crossed) .

I knew there was a little cafe run by a couple of italians and i had a few espressos there and there were not half bad. So i got my acid and i went to get the coffee and to my dismay the cafe was shut, i look around and the only thing open that served coffee was Michels Patisserie i ummed and arrred for a while then decided id get a doppio latte and hope for the best. So i went and placed my order then placed myself so i could see the barista make it ( as im sure we all do at times).

To my great suprise i watched as he dosed the PF then maticulasly tamped and polished the coffee with a espro tamper, locked the PF in place pressed the Double button, he went about producing some lovly mircofoam while watching the shot extract he finished the shot a little early but the resulting coffee was extremely enjoyable. Im not sure what coffee blend they use but judging from the crema i cant have been to old.

So i think this goes to show u cant always judge a book by its cover(but you can most the time )

Re: So suprised

Good to see you werent disappointed, but rather pleasently surprised Segrave.

Michelles should give your barista a pay rise and rope him into a long term contract.

--Robusto

Comment

So i went and placed my order then placed myself so i could see the barista make it
      I take this as part of the price i pay for a coffee at a cafe, the right to watch/harass the barista. ;D

RE Michels Patisserie I had a friend who owned one of their stores, he often referred to them as a hellchise from the owners point of view, (very small margin on pre-baked freighted goods made at company factory)

In regards to the Coffee I believe they do their own special branded blend but unsure if they roasted themselves. Like everything else though they ship to their stores the price of it was ridiculous from franchisee point of view ($35 a kilo) I was fairly impressed with the coffee though, quite a sweet and smooth blend.

Comment

Isnt it cup of excellence though?

Michels espresso won Equals 2006 Golden Bean best espresso and had provided opportunities for people such as Paul Bassett before he won 2003 WBC. Even though theyre a pattisserie franchise theyre fairly serious in coffee.

Comment

Michels has spent a lot of time and money on improving their coffee. They bought the lot of CoE winner, and have extensive training for baristae.

Whether or not they apply training every day remains to be seen. At least they have some sort of foundation to start from.

Comment

Michels espresso was started from scratch by Instaurator with Rob Forsyth and is the founder of AASCA.

He also started Danes before doing Michels Espresso. In 05 Michels won a blind cupping by SCAAs BGA. This is an Australian coffee roaster going head to head against some of Americas top coffee roasters.

Comment

We have a michels right next to an Italian style cafe. The Michels coffee is more drinkable than the crap made by the cafe.

Comment

Michels has good roasted beans...but it up to the barista to do it justice

Comment

Working...
                X