Jamaica Blue Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica Blue Mountain

Has anyone here tried the Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica? I hear that a shipment has arrived in Melbourne.

Re: Jamaica Blue Mountain

Originally posted by eddy link=1174467496/0#0 date=1174467496
    Has anyone here tried the Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica?  I hear that a shipment has arrived in Melbourne.

Yeppers- think in excess of $120/kg green. I liked the recent Dominican AAA as much. I reckon it cups similarly....

Comment

Ummm.... someone is looking over my shoulder again.

Do you also know anything about rabbits and pancakes eddy?
      ;-)

Yes, we do have some Jamacian Blue in the next BeanBay, it was going to be a surprise.

Like 2MCM suggested it is expensive, not quite that much in BeanBay though, it comes in a double (not triple) figures but only just.

It will be sold in 500gm lots to give plenty of members a chance to try it (if only once).

You will have to wait for more details.

Oh... welcome to the forum Eddy.

Comment

Has anyone here tried the Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica? I hear that a shipment has arrived in Melbourne.
        I think that we have some resting at the moment.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1174467496/0#1 date=1174467854
          Has anyone here tried the Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica?  I hear that a shipment has arrived in Melbourne.

Yeppers- think in excess of $120/kg green. I liked the recent Dominican AAA as much. I reckon it cups similarly....
          The Dominican AAA sounds pretty interesting. Ive had just about the best espresso ever from a Dom SO. Id also be keen on sampling some real JBM.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I have read a bit in books about the Blue Mountain coffee and i cant wait to try it! cheers all!

Comment

A few years ago OG and I splurged and bought ourselves a cup of coffee to try the stuff. Very nice - but- i have had other coffee that are up ther with it and much much cheaper.

Imay have to have a wee conversation with OG.

Comment

I had Dominican AAA about 3 weeks ago and Im not a real fan. I think JBM is overpriced for what it is. This is somewhat due to excellent marketing say 20 odd years ago when I was just born, but the JBMs we see today are overproduced and processed poorly which reflects in the cup.

A lot of specialty coffee out there surpasses JBM in flavour that are available at a much more reasonable price. Im not saying dont buy it. Buy it! By all means so that you experience what it is all about. Im all for experiences and learning.

Even CoE 1st place coffees dont fetch as much...although Inny broke the record last year on the the 1st place CoE 1st place Brazil at like $US49.75/pound green @ 12 bags. This is excluding, shipment, bagging, roasting costs et al.

Trivia: Did you know PNG coffees were first planted from JBM seedlings?

Comment

I have to make a correction to the above post. It was actually 2005 Brasil CoE.

So I was curious and did a little price calculation on the 2005 1st place CoE Brasil.

60 kg x 12 bags = 720 kg

720 kg = 1587.3 lb

1587.3 lb x $49.75/lb = $78,968 US :O

That better have been some good coffee.

EDIT: doh, I just realised you can get all the information from cupofexcellence.org...wasted my time for nothing. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1174467496/0#7 date=1176372638
                    Trivia: Did you know PNG coffees were first planted from JBM seedlings?
                    Yep.
                    Read that somewhere about two weeks ago.

I also read that even further back in time most coffee today comes from a few plants smuggled out of Mocha.

EDIT: Found it. http://www.telusplanet.net/public/coffee/history.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X