Civet coffee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civet coffee.

I think we can have a mature discussion on this so here goes.

First of all I declare I'm no expert on this subject, so If what I am saying is incorrect, please correct me

I'm wondering people's thoughts...For or against Civet coffee. and why you think this way.

Here is an article I come across today, although IMO not full of substance rather comment I still found it interesting.

Civet coffee: why it's time to cut the crap | Life and style | theguardian.com

My thoughts on civet coffee are as follows:

Using the so called original method of developing the bean....The thought of drinking coffee that has been crapped out by tiny critters, takes me a lot to get my head around...Silly I know, but I guess it's the way I'm wired...The thought is somewhat disgusting to my mind....I may well give it a try If I am fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to have the original method of developed kopi luak crapped out beans...

I'm not particularly a conservationist nor am I a green activist but I do NOT agree with cruelty to animal nor humans.....Yes, I am a meat eater, and fish eater but I like to know they are slaughtered in humane conditions. Regarding the commonly or well known availability of this expensive bean, the chances of it being produced by critters force fed coffee beans in inhumane conditions are very high...I guess the trick is finding such beans that are produced the original non cruel way. Would I try some civet coffee? I really don't know....If I knew the animals were not tortured and the beans were collected in the said original way, maybe...If they were produced in the common way we are aware of now...Possibly not...I dislike cruelty to animals and humans for that matter.

Thoughts/comments anyone?...

Cheers.

I think we've been there, done that.

Do a search on Kopi Luwak.

Comment

Sorry, No problems... Feel free to delete this entire thread. No use double handling things...

Cheers.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/pages/No-to...69009553115596

Comment

Using the Advanced Search function and searching for "kopi luwak" and "civet" (Searching only titles and displaying by threads not posts.) will return over 20 threads on the subject dating as far back as 2004.

Java "Click image for larger version

Name:	KopiHappens.gif
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	737452" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hi Java "you have surpassed your usual high standard with the civet espresso machine" phile.

Best animation concept I have seen in ages. Made my day.

FYI, a cousin brought me some "organic & certified" (the mind boggles, is free range next?) Kopi Lowak a few weeks back from source farm(!). That is the first time i have had enough beans to dial it in and assess it for real. Amazing how many visitors did / did not want to try it.

My opinion (FWIW): Quite good, however the best light / medium SO's are also up there. AFAIAC, more like something different than a new benchmark in coffee excellence.

Still loving your posts...

TampIt

Comment

I like it too and thought it would be appropriate for inclusion in this thread, hence why I lifted it from the very first thread on CS to deal with this subject.

Java "Go ahead, pull my finger, I dare ya!" phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TampIt View Post

FYI, a cousin brought me some "organic & certified" (the mind boggles, is free range next?) Kopi Lowak a few weeks back from source farm(!).
                My opinion (FWIW): Quite good, however the best light / medium SO's are also up there. AFAIAC, more like something different than a new benchmark in coffee excellence.

TampIt
                Likewise here..Totally unimpressed !
                However, it goes without saying that like any bean, the roast, age, and many other variable factors can have a huge influence on the result.

Comment

It's quite shocking that article and just reinforces that people who'd buy this stuff have far too much money.

Comment

I watched 'the bucket list' Morgan freemans character addresses this topic quiet splendidly to jack nicklesons character

Comment

Originally posted by rviddz86 View Post
                      I watched 'the bucket list' Morgan freemans character addresses this topic quiet splendidly to jack nicklesons character
                      Found the youtube lol

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=USEpUcdqciQ

Comment

Gets a big "Just Say NO" from me. That includes the "one pack to take home as a novelty" type purchase.

Naive view

Best case reality

typical reality

Comment

These poo factories should be shut down. We can make great coffee without them.

Barry

Comment

Working...
                          X