Barista courses in Brisbane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barista courses in Brisbane?

Which Barista course in Brisbane is good? I looked up on Google and the top 2 courses on the list are CoffeeSchool and BaristaBasics, the latter one seemed more popular from looking at the booking availability. Are they any good? I'm looking for one that actually has passion to teach how to make good coffee not just one that teaches the average skill that results in a Starbucks.

Both of them should be ok and will get you everything to make good espresso and understand all commercial setup. Only if you're semi pro and wanna get to another level, you will be disappointed. I just done the latter one in Sydney last week for whole day from 9-3pm @199, you will walk out the door with 4 certificates incl TAFE one (will be posting to you in 2 weeks) In a full class of 18 and most of them never drink coffee, I reckon these young kids wanna get a cert for job as barista. Having said that, the instructor has passion and keen on getting you to the right path.

In case you wanna enhance your home barista techniques & understand your own machine (instead of the certificates), you'd better talk to our site sponsors in Brissie, they all have better barista courses than the general (money making) schools.

Comment

Cleanskin Coffee have one? As do Wolff Roasters

Comment

+1 for Wolff, Peter Wolff is one of the best in the business Australia wide. His staff are just as passionate. Doing a course through him will give you a lot of cred in the specialty coffee industry compared to a more mainstream one.

Comment

Originally posted by ibiza888 View Post
          Both of them should be ok and will get you everything to make good espresso and understand all commercial setup. Only if you're semi pro and wanna get to another level, you will be disappointed. I just done the latter one in Sydney last week for whole day from 9-3pm @199, you will walk out the door with 4 certificates incl TAFE one (will be posting to you in 2 weeks) In a full class of 18 and most of them never drink coffee, I reckon these young kids wanna get a cert for job as barista. Having said that, the instructor has passion and keen on getting you to the right path.

In case you wanna enhance your home barista techniques & understand your own machine (instead of the certificates), you'd better talk to our site sponsors in Brissie, they all have better barista courses than the general (money making) schools.
          I want to get a job as a barista, but I also want to make really good coffee, mainly for myself thought my resume would look better if I have some form of experience in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeyden View Post
            +1 for Wolff, Peter Wolff is one of the best in the business Australia wide. His staff are just as passionate. Doing a course through him will give you a lot of cred in the specialty coffee industry compared to a more mainstream one.
            I've heard a lot about Wolff. I looked on the site but it doesn't show the price, any idea how much it costs?

Comment

Probably have to get in contact, I've only ever been interested in the roasting course so I'm not sure on the price. I'm guessing $200(?) but don't quote me.

Comment

Toby's Estate on Albert Street (CBD) are advertising some barista/roasting classes. I haven't taken them and don't know how much they cost, but they appear fairly in-depth (according to the brochure in their store)

Comment

Originally posted by jamesjames View Post
                  Toby's Estate on Albert Street (CBD) are advertising some barista/roasting classes. I haven't taken them and don't know how much they cost, but they appear fairly in-depth (according to the brochure in their store)
                  They split up parts into different courses where normally would've been in one complete course and they each cost $150+ T_T Can't afford that

Comment

Originally posted by ibiza888 View Post

Hi Ibiza,

How do you classify as semi pro? I know how to steam milk to get a proper foam and have basic knowledge on making espresso. I would like to fine tune and espresso making skills and the latte art.. What course do you recommend me to take? I'm learning for my own benefits, so I'm not bowyer about the certificate.

Cheers,
                    Bchong

Comment

Originally posted by Gemeno View Post
                      They split up parts into different courses where normally would've been in one complete course and they each cost $150+ T_T Can't afford that
                      Hi Gemeno,

Which courses did you take on the end and what do you think about the course? Looking to take up a course when I visit Brisbane next month.

Cheers,
                      Bchong

Comment

@ Gemeno

Passion and a willingness to learn quickly are trait i look for when hiring, not always experience.
                        I would rather teach someone from scratch than correct bad habits/techniques.

For example, the girl we have right now is a qualified chef that had never used an espresso machine till 2 weeks ago. I only have to show things once and rarely need to correct her on anything.
                        She really wants to know what were teaching her.

A certificate is a good start but if it has TAFE stamped on it, i quickly dismiss it's validity.

Comment

Elixir coffee on Hayward Street do a course
                          A very busy cafe with in roasting house. Had a brilliant estrato there two days ago.

Not sure if I'm allowed to give a link or not mods? commercial link removed per site posting policy
                          Last edited by Javaphile; 21 August 2014, 02:30 PM. Reason: Commercial link(s) removed

Comment

[QUOTE=Brevillista;538711]Elixir coffee on Hayward Street do a course
                            A very busy cafe with in roasting house. Had a brilliant estrato there two days ago.

Not sure if I'm allowed to give a link or not mods? commercial link removed per site posting policy

"estrato" not familiar with this one, do you mean ristretto?
                            Last edited by Javaphile; 21 August 2014, 02:30 PM. Reason: Commercial link(s) removed

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                              "estrato" not familiar with this one, do you mean ristretto?
                              Could have been worse... could have been a double castretto
                              Last edited by Vinitasse; 21 August 2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X