Thats a strange grinder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thats a strange grinder...

Heres an interesting observation. We went to the golf club last night for a cheap meal. They run a compact Rancilio 2 gr machine, but Ive never ordered a coffee from them, and now it seems for good reason. Last night I decided to take a closer look at their setup. What initially looked like a grinder was just a stand alone doser. I guess they must fill it with pre-ground of god knows what. What sort of abomination is that? Dosers without attached grinders, two headed goats... it can only mean one thing. Armageddon!

At least therell be no way that armageddon a coffee from that place....

Re: Thats a strange grinder...

::groans::

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1175517405/0#0 date=1175517404
      Heres an interesting observation. We went to the golf club last night for a cheap meal. They run a compact Rancilio 2 gr machine, but Ive never ordered a coffee from them, and now it seems for good reason. Last night I decided to take a closer look at their setup. What initially looked like a grinder was just a stand alone doser. I guess they must fill it with pre-ground of god knows what. What sort of abomination is that? Dosers without attached grinders, two headed goats... it can only mean one thing. Armageddon!

All I can add is a believe it or not moment....Common ones are made by none other than MAZZER!

Comment

From Sparky:
        It must be late I laughed out loud at that.
        More proof that golf is unhealthy....
        Thanks Mark.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1175517405/0#2 date=1175517532

All I can add is a believe it or not moment....Common ones are made by none other than MAZZER!  
          Yep, thats the one. For ages I actually thought it was a Mazzer (grinder) until I took a closer look.

Comment

Could have been worse Sparky:
            a) meal could have been expensive
            b) you could have actually ordered a coffee
            and
            c) same thing could have happened to you as it did to my partner, Sue. Shes a decaf girl...they took a couple of teaspoons of an instant decaf put it in the pf, and the rest is history. Must have been the same golf club!

Comment

That decaf shot MUST have run a tad fast, surely?

Comment

Im going to offer a bit of insight to many cafes out there...and Im sure you guys already know this.

1) Many cafes only have 1 grinder. It is more of an investment to procure another grinder, even a mazzer mini. Its cheaper to buy preground for the volume of decaf many regular cafes do. Many cafes are locked in to contracts with their roaster.

2) Many cafes do not grind to order whether or not they do 3 kg an hour or 3 kg a week, mainly due to lack of education and no real barista behind the bar. I wouldnt consider many people who operate espresso machines in Australia, "baristas/baristi".

3) You can only train staff a certain number of times. Whether it is coming from the roaster itself to do their coffee justice or some of the more experienced people within the cafe. If they dont get it, they dont get it.

4) Many cafes only offer decaf from preground (links to statement 1).

5) Those dosers without any grinder attached to it are meant to be used for preground decaf.

Comment

Wushoes thats a bit clinical. I prefer to think that theres someone out there that decapitates grinders and collects the dosers as trophies... a "Silence of the Mazzers" sort of thing.

Comment

When I worked in a bank I used to decapitate money boxes and pin the heads to the wall in my tellers box.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1175517405/0#9 date=1175561085
                      When I worked in a bank I used to decapitate money boxes and pin the heads to the wall in my tellers box.

Now thats something Id like to see

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1175517405/0#7 date=1175525445
                        Im going to offer a bit of insight to many cafes out there...and Im sure you guys already know this.

1) Many cafes only have 1 grinder. It is more of an investment to procure another grinder, even a mazzer mini. Its cheaper to buy preground for the volume of decaf many regular cafes do. Many cafes are locked in to contracts with their roaster.

2) Many cafes do not grind to order whether or not they do 3 kg an hour or 3 kg a week, mainly due to lack of education and no real barista behind the bar. I wouldnt consider many people who operate espresso machines in Australia, "baristas/baristi".

3) You can only train staff a certain number of times. Whether it is coming from the roaster itself to do their coffee justice or some of the more experienced people within the cafe. If they dont get it, they dont get it.

4) Many cafes only offer decaf from preground (links to statement 1).

5) Those dosers without any grinder attached to it are meant to be used for preground decaf.
                        thankfully there are some of us that go against the flow. i have 2 grinders (yes one for decaf) & i only go through 5 kgs of proper coffee & 1/2 kg of decaf a week, i am however 1 of only 2 cafes that my supplier sells whole bean decaf to.

LE
                        Go. cafe

Comment

Thats great to hear sketchy!

Comment

I think the statement about lots of places where people operate coffee machines are not "baristas/baristi" is true.

I was chatting to someone I know who used to own a restaurant.

They had an espresso machine with 3 group heads.

They go through the motions of making a coffee, but dont know whether they are getting a good pour or not.

Also, they never had a grinder, bought all their coffee already ground and freeze the unused grind.  When they need more grind, they go to the freezer and take out the grind, and since its a bit icy, they break it up with their fingers.

Is this normal practice?  Doesnt sound like it!  

Comment

Working...
                            X