Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy a cheap coffee maker in Melbourne? Less than $30 if possible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy a cheap coffee maker in Melbourne? Less than $30 if possible.

Hi

My current coffee maker seems to be broken, so I have to stop using it. It's making strange crackling noises and water is leaking from it. It's a Breville Aroma Style Electronic Coffee Machine, i.e.

Aroma Style Electronic | Breville

I'm still unemployed so I can't afford too much at the moment. Do they still sell those ultra cheap Tiffany coffee makers? I'd like to spend less that $30 if possible. I don't want to start buying instant coffee as that would just work out to be more expensive in the long run (apart from tasting hideous). I've been buying coffee beans, which I grind in a Hario hand grinder.

Is it worth my while buying something from an op shop or is that too risky? Is it worth my while getting a cheap plunger? Although I generally have 2 cups of coffee in the morning so I'd be worried any coffee sitting in a plunger would get cold too quickly.

Thanks.

Aeropress mate? about $35 I guess. Not sure I understand the issue with cold coffee? Make one at a time, pour into a pre-heated cup etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
      Aeropress mate? about $35 I guess. Not sure I understand the issue with cold coffee? Make one at a time, pour into a pre-heated cup etc.
      I'd have to keep spending money on filters wouldn't I?

Comment

It comes with 350 filters ..... so that is a good start. Another 350 will set you back $5 or $16 for a stainless filter (no replacement). You have a good enough grinder and the Aeropress makes a good coffee.

Comment

You can wash and reuse the filters several times.

Comment

I'd prefer something where I can make enough coffee for at least 2 cups and have the coffee for the second cup being kept warm while I'm having my first cup.

Comment

So not really a CoffeeSnob then?

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamK View Post
                So not really a CoffeeSnob then?
                I am to some extent. I don't buy instant coffee.

Anyway, due to my unemployment I might have to be a tea drinker at home until I next get paid.

Comment

Perhaps try Gumtree or Ebay. A quick search on Gumtree finds coffee percolators for $10 and up new in boxes.
                  It might even be worth putting a wanted ad on this site. I am sure there are many members who have updated and have redundant equipment taking up space .... I have an old Black and Decker Mr Espresso that I found in the back of the cupboard the other day .... but he really needed his brother Mr Cappuccino.

Comment

easiest and cheapest way without even spending a cent providing you have the coffee ground and a cup...

take approximately 1-2 table spoon of coffee ground put it in the cup and pour hot water in the cup around 150 ml

If you have a scale, measure the coffee ground around 9 grams. Leave it till all the coffee go down the bottom and sip

Comment

Hi pamount,

I can definaltey vouch for the Aeropress cheap but make a good brew and can make 2 at a time as u want.

Where abouts are you to see if some of us might be able to help/ pay it forward to u

We all know what it's like to go through a tough bit!

Comment

Originally posted by mmmcoffee View Post
                        Hi pamount,

I can definaltey vouch for the Aeropress cheap but make a good brew and can make 2 at a time as u want.

Where abouts are you to see if some of us might be able to help/ pay it forward to u

We all know what it's like to go through a tough bit!
                        I live in the north eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Although I'd feel a bit embarrassed about that. I'd want to pay money back to whoever did that, after I get a proper income.

Comment

Originally posted by ahhhespressso View Post
                          easiest and cheapest way without even spending a cent providing you have the coffee ground and a cup...

take approximately 1-2 table spoon of coffee ground put it in the cup and pour hot water in the cup around 150 ml

If you have a scale, measure the coffee ground around 9 grams. Leave it till all the coffee go down the bottom and sip
                          I tried that today. Most of it went to the bottom of the cup but a bit of it floated.

When I first poured in the boiled water, after putting the ground coffee in, it almost looked like a Milo made with cold milk. The ground coffee floated on top but it mostly disappeared after I gave it a stir. Is there some technique I should use?

It still tasted OK but I was constantly thinking about floating coffee ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Stinkalot View Post
                            Perhaps try Gumtree or Ebay. A quick search on Gumtree finds coffee percolators for $10 and up new in boxes.
                            It might even be worth putting a wanted ad on this site. I am sure there are many members who have updated and have redundant equipment taking up space .... I have an old Black and Decker Mr Espresso that I found in the back of the cupboard the other day .... but he really needed his brother Mr Cappuccino.
                            Thanks. I'll check it out.

Comment

I don't like plungers. Should be able to a stove top percolator thing for $30. Pour overs can make good coffee too and are cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X