A newbies surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A newbies surprise

After having to sell off my newly purchased and unused Macap grinder Ive recovered from things enough to get a Sunbeam EM0480 and a three-cup plunger. Ive got some beans on order from the Coffee Barun and Im having to make do with supermarket beans.

My first reaction is one of immense surprise: shop coffee really is vile! And by shop coffee I mean instant (which makes me feel sick after about a cup and a half) and stuff like Gloria Jeans (which just tastes burned).

My second, and because I ran out of the first beans and had to get more supermarket stuff is that Im amazed at the difference there is in just about everything between different beans. Ive tried two types so far and will try a third tomorrow morning.
    The first were by Vittoria and werent too bad to my uneducated palette. The second, something I picked up from IGA that came from New Guinea were terrible. Very little coffee smell and the taste was horrible. The third is actually locally grown and will be my morning coffee tomorrow.

Although Ive only got the Sunbeam grinder (I regret parting with the Macap) and a plunger Im having an immense amount of fun with this. Its actually reminded me of the reason I like cooking: creating something from (ideally) quality ingredients that you can enjoy and share (if youre willing ), as well as being able to mess around with and try different things.

Not that its going to be a definitive source of anything in particular, but Ive actually started a blog so if anyone is interested in reading about my fumblings and discoveries the link is in my profile!

I guess I need to give a big thank you to everyone for taking what was idle curiosity and turning it into something that Im really going to enjoy.

Thanks!

Re: A newbies surprise

I had to resort to supermarket beans when I first got my machine and before discovering this place. I have to say that I found all of them vile. They either had no taste or tasted burnt or ashey. Man was I glad I found coffeesnobs.

The best I could find before this was from a roaster in Sydney who was supplying a local vege shop. But now even their stocks are getting into around a month old (their beans were great up until around the third week from roast date).

I dont think you could convert me away from roasting-my-own now. Except maybe if a roaster decided to move in next door

Im having so much fun with this coffee journey as well. This is sooo addictive.

Juls

Comment

Also, Its so funny when your family start to realise that their coffee isnt good enough any more.

I asked my brother for a tea the other day and he said "but you love coffee!". He then got a bit of a sermon about how crap instant is, etc.

He loves coming over to my house for a coffee though.

Comment

Halo, what part of Adelaide do you live in, as there are plenty of places you can get good quality, fresh roasted beans from without having to mail order. Some places also selll greens if you want to try roasting too.

Comment

I dont live in Adelaide. Im all the way up in Queensland

Comment

ive got a few beans from pioneer roastery in yandina (they are a site sponser). Im about a hour drive from them but so I still mail order

Comment

Originally posted by Halo link=1176124949/0#4 date=1176191215
              So thatd be North Adelaide then?

Comment

ive got a few beans from pioneer roastery in yandina (they are a site sponser). Im about a hour drive from them but so I still mail order
                Ive got some beans on the way from the Coffee Barun that should be here in a day or two and Ill give Pioneer Roastery a go ASAP.

Close, Bundaberg

Also, Its so funny when your family start to realise that their coffee isnt good enough any more.

I asked my brother for a tea the other day and he said "but you love coffee!". He then got a bit of a sermon about how crap instant is, etc.

He loves coming over to my house for a coffee though.
                I havent had the chance yet to make coffee for anyone else but Im looking forward to their impressions. I like making things for others even more than I like making them for myself

I had to resort to supermarket beans when I first got my machine and before discovering this place. I have to say that I found all of them vile. They either had no taste or tasted burnt or ashey. Man was I glad I found coffeesnobs.
                Keep in mind that so far my impressions of homemade coffee are soley based on supermarket beans. Itll be interesting to see what I think of the fresh beans Im waiting for.

Comment

Man are you in for a pleasant surprise.

Halo, I assumed you were in Adelaide because you were getting beans from Coffee Barun - who is our first official SA sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1176124949/0#6 date=1176206256
                    Originally posted by Halo link=1176124949/0#4 date=1176191215
                    Very funny Thundergod ;D ;D

-Robusto

Comment

Man are you in for a pleasant surprise.
                      Im hoping. The last beans I tried (supermarket) I thought were absolutely horrid.

The Barun beans havent arrived yet but Im hoping theyll arrive tomorrow!

Comment

Should be a very pleasant experience Halo.

I stopped taking sugar in my coffee from the very first one made with the new Expobar.
                        My sister-in-law managed to go without her usual 1 sugar on Sunday with a very nice home roasted PNG Kimel A. Ill notch that one up.  

Robusto   Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X