Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamping methods?????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tamping methods?????

    Hmmm i personally use the straight on 30lbs and polish....

    I use a 58mm flat base tamper with 1kg weight.....

    In what way do you tamp?

    Came here to discuss tamping science....

  • #2
    Level, once, no need to polish, hard enough to prevent channeling.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RayTCoffeePro View Post
      Came here to discuss tamping science....
      "Tamping science" eh? that'll bring em out of the wood work.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yelta and Muppet man,

        Thanks for the no polish tip....

        Heres a tip from another barista im working with....

        He says he uses the Staub method...

        Although i just do the grinding (i always hit 14 grams consistently due to the doser on the Mazzer) and then i place it on a tamping mat, use my pinky finger to level, tamp hard with fingers round the basket (to ensure tamper is level while tamping) and polish with a nice turn....

        Anyways the portafilter is at my hip-level and my elbow is at a 90 degree angle with my hand at a fencing hold....

        Anyways anything wrong with this tamp.....

        Looks good for a bottomless shot Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410258025595.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	737761

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RayTCoffeePro View Post
          Yelta and Muppet man,

          Thanks for the no polish tip....

          Heres a tip from another barista im working with....

          He says he uses the Staub method...

          Although i just do the grinding (i always hit 14 grams consistently due to the doser on the Mazzer) and then i place it on a tamping mat, use my pinky finger to level, tamp hard with fingers round the basket (to ensure tamper is level while tamping) and polish with a nice turn....

          Anyways the portafilter is at my hip-level and my elbow is at a 90 degree angle with my hand at a fencing hold....

          Anyways anything wrong with this tamp.....

          Looks good for a bottomless shot [ATTACH]7339[/ATTACH]
          Very similar to my method Ray, I use 18 grams in a 14 to 18 gram basket, use my thumb and first two fingers on the rim of the basket to maintain level, I use relatively light pressure, approx 5 kg and I do polish.

          Comment


          • #6
            Good to see that, Yelta [emoji11]

            Damn does a god-shot seem so elusive!!! [emoji11]

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Yelta View Post
              use my thumb and first two fingers on the rim of the basket to maintain level, I use relatively light pressure, approx 5 kg and I do polish.
              What I do too... I don't use much pressure either (not sure how much as I've never measured), and I also polish although I realise that it's purely for aesthetics.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                Very similar to my method Ray, I use 18 grams in a 14 to 18 gram basket, use my thumb and first two fingers on the rim of the basket to maintain level, I use relatively light pressure, approx 5 kg and I do polish.
                Ditto minus the polish. Works using larger VST's and a Pergtamp as well, all day long!

                Michael

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hmmm... VST baskets are the premiere aftermarket precision portafilter baskets......

                  Wonder if anyone used an Espro tamper (seems like its calibrated for 30 pounds and its a "click" tamper)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nothing relevant to add, just wanted to say

                    Originally posted by RayTCoffeePro View Post
                    Looks good for a bottomless shot [ATTACH]7339[/ATTACH]
                    Uh, yah. That'll do just fine ~licks lips~

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dragunov21, Thanks lol...
                      Looks like my tamping is all set!!!!

                      Anyways im closing this thread as OP (original poster)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RayTCoffeePro View Post
                        Hmmm... VST baskets are the premiere aftermarket precision portafilter baskets......
                        Now THAT will REALLY bring them out of the woodwork.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I just use the heel of my palm and a UK 20 pound note.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I do: level, one medium (I guess?) tamp with fingers to guide, and then a very very soft polish.

                            I don't think the polish makes any difference at all in the cup (not to my palate anyway), but it does clean any little grinds off the tamper.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RayTCoffeePro View Post
                              Hmmm... VST baskets are the premiere aftermarket precision portafilter baskets......
                              Certainly an arguable point, probably closer to the truth if the statement were prefixed with the words (some claim)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X