Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant or fresh ground, doesn't matter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant or fresh ground, doesn't matter.

Had an interesting exchange with a tradesman doing a job at home a few days back.

During a shower of rain I offered him a brew which he accepted, asked his preference, espresso or instant? he replied doesn't matter it's all the same to me, made him an instant with milk and 2 sugar which he declared "good"

I suspect he is far from being a Robinson Crusoe in his taste, so to many among us quality really doesn't matter.

What, you have instant at home ?

Comment

All my visitors have to put up with espresso at my place as I haven’t had any instant here for years.

Barry

Comment

Maybe you should have tried an experiment and used dirt instead of instant, and seen if he even noticed

Comment

Originally posted by amellor View Post
          What, you have instant at home ?
          Yep, my wife drinks instant most of the time, as I said, "to many among us quality really doesn't matter."

Comment

It is “normal” for most people to drink instant at home. Something like 70% of people do. I did years ago. My tastes have changed and now can’t stand the stuff. I don’t think that us CoffeeSnobs are quite normal.

Barry

Comment

I think for the most part, people don't care as they aren't drinking it for the taste, they are drinking it for effect.

I drink coffee because I like the taste, I don't get affected unless I have 6 shots in a row (yep I have done this to know), therefore I won't put up with instant or 12 month old coffee.

Comment

comparing instant to espresso ?.... geez, they're not in the same street, not even on the same planet !.... like comparing s**t to clay !

.... or maybe that should be the real thing compared to an artificial thing !

Comment

Not comparing instant to espresso (read my OP) what the post was meant to do was suggest that perhaps we the residents of Coffee Snobs and similar forums are in fact the ones that are out of step, the rest of the world is quite happy drinking instant.

Must admit if offered a coffee and only instant is available I won't say no.

Comment

I will say no to instant. When I can’t get a decent coffee I drink tea, beer, wine or water.

Barry

Comment

My in laws were treated to some very nice pour over out of my Hario - lovingly prepared, 14 day old blend of Guatemala and PNG, I prepare it like a Japanese tea ceremony almost. It was perfect black; needed no sugar or milk. They declared it good and immediately went back to Moccona #5

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
                        When I can’t get a decent coffee I drink tea, beer, wine or water.

Barry
                        In that order Barry? ;-)

Comment

I was doing a clean out of the pantry I found a small jar of Mocona several years past the use by date. What was interesting was the mould that had grown on it was a vibrant purple! Like the coffee itself it didn't seem natural.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                            In that order Barry? ;-)
                            Oposite order. I mainly drink water.

Recaffinated, I like mould on my cheese, not on my coffee.

Barry
                            Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 14 September 2014, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Anybody remember Pablo instant coffee? Now that was a class act.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3uSVIZEuvM

Comment

Working...
                              X