Advice with baskets, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice with baskets, please.

Hi guys, I have a Sunbeam EM7000 and a Breville Smartgrinder Pro which I have had for just over a year. I mostly use pods and have the dual floor pod basket and am quite happy with the consistency and quality I get from the pods. However I do like to freshly grind my beans for when I have visitors or whenever. I have always been able to get about a 25 second shot with the SB gauge in the middle of the orange bar using the SB single floor baskets. Now I recently purchased a Precision basket after reading many posts on here. Unfortunately, now I can barely get the SB gauge to move off the step despite going for a finer grind and increasing the grind amount. ... Any suggestions as to where to start

2 things: Dose Amount and Grind Size

Dose Amount: I don't know how much the SB baskets hold, but it could be that the Precision basket you got is rated for a higher dose. Do the 5c test (search here for it) with the precision to get an idea of the right dose amount.

Grind Size: Once you have the correct dose amount, grind on the finest setting to see if you can choke the machine. If so, grind a little coarser until you get 60ml/25sec. If you can't get 60ml/25sec on the finest setting, then remove the hopper and adjust the burr carrier to make it grind finer, then try again.

Comment

Thank you kindly Bames. I had increased the dose by quite a bit but not to capacity. I shall try the Dime test later this evening and go on from there. Algenon.

Comment

Well, I have spent a good deal of effort today getting things right. The Precision basket is a 14g size and it needed a lot more than I had been using in my SB single basket. Also needed a finer grind. I am very pleased with the repeatability of the Smartgrinder Pro. I am now getting 60ml in circa 30 seconds. There is a noticeable improvement in my coffee now but I suspect that is more to do with the increase in dose rather than a sparkly new basket. This of course has added to the cost, even if it is now more than twice the cost of ESE pods per cup.

Comment

How much are you paying for your Pods? Must have found a fair deal if 14g of real coffee is twice as expensive as a 7g pod?

Comment

Hi Barry. I pay 64c including postage for my pods from Melbourne (Lucaffe). My favourite beans cost $30 for 480gm plus $20 postage (postage is a killer) from Northcote in Vic (Talk Coffee). My new Precision basket is 14-18gm and I am pretty well filling it. So that works out pretty expensive. I might have to find another lot of beans I like.

Comment

Hi Algenon,
              Taste is personal, and there are many choices for great coffee today. When I buy roasted (to compare with my own product, and to sample beans that I cannot get) I tend to buy from a select few that have been roasting for more than a decade (or two) and produce a product designed for espresso and are not acidic abominations.
              Peter Wolff in Brisbane and Alan Frew in Melbourne always have great offerings,but they also range in price from $40-$50/kg (+), not including postage.
              Jeff Carlini has an amazing variety of top shelf coffee for under $30/kg and is on line only. His postage is reasonable.
              I try quite a few places, but tend to come back to these three on a regular basis.
              I seek a specific product, and am quite fussy.
              If you seek value for money, Jeff would be my recommendation. He also caters to the ESE pod market, if you like that sort of product.

Bear in mind that some Single Origin coffees are expensive (limited quantity etc). A master roaster can produce an exceptional blend using beans that are not $30-40kg green. But that comes from years of experience, hence my biased recommendations.

Good luck in your journey.

PS. Stick with the double basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Algenon View Post
                I might have to find another lot of beans I like.
                Where do you live?

Comment

Originally posted by Algenon View Post
                  Hi Barry. I pay 64c including postage for my pods from Melbourne (Lucaffe). My favourite beans cost $30 for 480gm plus $20 postage (postage is a killer) from Northcote in Vic (Talk Coffee). My new Precision basket is 14-18gm and I am pretty well filling it. So that works out pretty expensive. I might have to find another lot of beans I like.

Ahhh, I see. Sounds like you need to start roasting

Comment

Might have to see if Coles still sells Bushel's Chicory Essence. Or Pablo.

Comment

Oh dear...I thought I was a connoisseur as an 8 year old coz my dad drank Pablo instead of International Roast.

Australian Ad Pablo Coffee - 1983 - YouTube

I assume a 30 year old ad for a redundant product doesn't breach site rules.

Comment

Seems to be a popular vid of late: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...tml#post541038

Java "Must be something in the crystals!" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X