Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with your old grinds?

Howdy group,

Im relatively new and still navigating my way around this forum. Im a home enthusiast and I am not a barista by any stretch of the imagination. Am recently the proud owner of a Sunbeam EM6910 and visiting coffee shops for the first time in my life.

Got a question re the waste grinds in the knock box - basically, Im now having to think about what to do with the waste. So I have a few questions for the seasoned espresso makers here....

1. How long do you wait till you empty your knock box?

2. If it is left on the kitchen benchtop, will it attract vermin like cockroaches? :-[

3. Can the grind be used for fertilising the garden flower bed perhaps? :-?

4. Is it simply dumped into the waste bin and collected by the council just like other trash?

I guess Im asking these questions because there must be a ton of used coffee grind out there and Im just wondering what people do with it.

Looking forward to the comments.

Lawrance

Re: What do you do with your old grinds?

Originally posted by tempestv8 link=1176333658/0#0 date=1176333658
    Howdy group,

Im relatively new and still navigating my way around this forum.  Im a home enthusiast and I am not a barista by any stretch of the imagination.  Am recently the proud owner of a Sunbeam EM6910 and visiting coffee shops for the first time in my life.

Got a question re the waste grinds in the knock box - basically, Im now having to think about what to do with the waste.  So I have a few questions for the seasoned espresso makers here....

1.  How long do you wait till you empty your knock box?

2.  If it is left on the kitchen benchtop, will it attract vermin like cockroaches?   :-[

3.  Can the grind be used for fertilising the garden flower bed perhaps?   :-?

4.  Is it simply dumped into the waste bin and collected by the council just like other trash?

I guess Im asking these questions because there must be a ton of used coffee grind out there and Im just wondering what people do with it.

Looking forward to the comments.  

Lawrance
    1- Until its full :-[
    2. Nope....they seem not to ne interested....does go mouldy though...
    3. Its fantastic compost- just a little acidic...Mix it with something else as well
    4. All too frequently, yes. Not at my abode though...

Comment

Re: What do you do with your old grinds?

Theres also a couple of pages of similar discussion here -

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1145245907/8#8

I think there may have been another discussion about how interested cockroaches are in coffee grinds, but I couldnt find that one.

Comment

Working...
      X