Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Else Growing Coffee Trees In The Backyard ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Else Growing Coffee Trees In The Backyard ?

It was like this - I was surfing the net late last night and obviously under the influence of some evil brew.

Before I knew it, a computer chime heralded the arrival of an email receipt for a dozen Catui Dwarf Coffee trees to be delivered from Queensland next week.

Sober now, Im wondering whether coffee trees can be grown in Adelaide ? Anyone know any secrets to their successful growing ?

Re: Anyone Else Growing Coffee Trees In The Backya

In a green-house perhaps?? :-/

Comment

Mine are doing really well in Melbourne- You just need to avoid frost (no 2nd chances), keep them well drained and feed them well. They like nitrogen....

Chris

Comment

Hmmmm, depends on what part of adelaide you live in. I would be careful as although we are not supposed to get frost, if it is going to be a dry winter (like last year) we are going to get a few frosts (like last year).

I will have a chat with OC as he works for the Botanic Gardens. He may have a few ideas on how to deal with the frost. I know nothing of these things but you could possibly plant them in large pots that you could move to an area that will protect them from frost.

It may be awhile before I get back to answer this as I am going away over the weekend and not be online for a couple of days.

Comment

Ive planted two here in Sydney a few weeks ago.

So far so good.

Comment

Hey people!

Theres a couple of old threads, once of which I started when my trees went into their first crop. The first bean is ripening this week!

Anyway, do have a read - this one in particular shows some of the pests you might get: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1171156527

This one is shorter but still suss it out: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1175085130

You might be interested to know that some varieties tolerate frost much more than others. Some varieties grow smaller to make hand picking easier.. um.. yeah shop around.. I think I mentioned a place that sells trees in one of those other threads? heh

Ta, Rolley

Comment

Oh, also try and keep them sheltered from nasty winds. I went away for 8 days last week, and we had extremely dry windy weather.. unfortunately my youngest coffee tree (probably 4 months old), is almost dead and will probably not recover! It was really out in the open in a different spot to the others.

Comment

do any of our sponsors sell these trees?
                or is there a reputable seller in Sydney or elsewhere, Id love to grow some!

Cheers and thanks

Steve

Comment

Rolley have you had any leaves show signs of yellowing?

Comment

I Finally got myself a plant this arvo.

Wasnt too badly priced either. Unfortunately the nursery only had one.

Comment

When my trees were new, they yellowed often, a couple of times I was thinking that theyd probably just end up dying.. but over time, as they were able to shade themselves better, protect themselves from wind better, with more folage, they yellowed less and less. Now theyre very good, I hadnt seen any yellowing at all until just recently when I got all the mealy bugs all over the cherries.. I wonder if the bugs are related to that yellowing.. hrm.. :-/
                      You can buy different tree varieties from Daleys Fruit Nursery - http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/coffee.htm!! Totally suss them out cuz theyre the only people Ive seen selling more than just the K7 type.

Comment

Thanks Rolley.

Im trying to protect them a bit more from any wind.

Theyve had good protection on 2 sides and I so-so on the other 2.
                        One of those sides is better now as well so Ill have a good look at the overall setup again tomorrow.

They are growing well though despite the small bit of yellowing on the odd leaf.
                        One plant shows it more than the other.
                        They have both added a few more leaves each to their number.

Comment

I heard of some using coffee in the water to use as a bug spray would this work on a coffee plant? or is there a better alternative for stoping the bugs

tia
                          Steve

Comment

"Im wondering whether coffee trees can be grown in Adelaide ... "

My brother has one at One Tree Hill (fortunately, a few more trees have
                            grown since they named the place ).

Its growing on a well drained hillside, and thriving -- about 1.5m tall.

No fruit yet. Maybe it needs a friend ...

Comment

Ive been testing the espresso bug repellent on my basil atm.
                              If it can keep the caterpillers away then Ill use it on my coffee plants.
                              The coffee plants leave are tougher than basil and it hasnt harmed the basil yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X