Beans of last resort..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans of last resort..

The other day I ran out of beans - not a good situation to be in, but due to a bunch of circumstances, it happened. I couldn't get to any of my preferred roasters and ordering online involves waiting for a few days. As a last resort I bought a small bag of vittoria beans from the supermarket - my tasting notes would be along the lines of 'unpleasant combination of urinal and ashtray with the vaguest hint of something that may resemble coffee'.

Does anyone have suggestions for a coffee of last resort that bears some resemblance to coffee? If you ever get caught out without beans, what do you do?

Originally posted by jools View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions for a coffee of last resort that bears some resemblance to coffee? If you ever get caught out without beans, what do you do?
    1) Track down the nearest coffee shop, buy a cup, chat them up, explain the emergency and beg a bag of beans !
    2) If 1 fails... Carefully go through ALL the bags on the S'market shelves searching for roast dates or BB dates that inform you the beans were roasted within the last few weeks. You have to learn to decipher the date codes used by different roasters, but that is not too hard.
    Im lucky, i have maybe a dozen coffee shops, 4-5 roasters and 3 large supermarkets , all within 5 mins walk ! ( advantage of city living !)

Comment

If i am in a pickle for coffee and could not be bothered roasting, i'll drop into the busiest cafe i can find and buy some coffee from them. If they are busy enough, their coffee should be fresh enough not to make you vomit.
      If you have the time, pick up a popcorn machine and a few Kg's of green bean.

Comment

Abstain! seriously, I'm not that dependent on coffee.

If and when it happens, and I can assure you its a very rare event, I treat it as an enforced coffee fast, when you do reach an oasis or get a new supply of beans, the break tends to make you appreciate a decent brew even more than usual.

It also teaches you the fact that it always pays to plan ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_G View Post
          If i am in a pickle for coffee and could not be bothered roasting, i'll drop into the busiest cafe i can find and buy some coffee from them. If they are busy enough, their coffee should be fresh enough not to make you vomit.
          If you have the time, pick up a popcorn machine and a few Kg's of green bean.
          Come on Luke, if you're out of coffee and cant be bothered roasting you're not in a pickle, you're just bloody lazy.
          Last edited by Yelta; 9 October 2014, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I always buy a bag of beans a couple of days before my current bag runs out. If I ever forget, I'll just grab a cup of coffee from one of the good cafes near my office on weekdays. On weekends, I'll just have to treat it as a punishment for forgetting to get them beans

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
              Come on Luke, if your out of coffee and cant be bothered roasting your not in a pickle, your just bloody lazy.

Almost as lazy as someone who couldn't be bothered using an apostrophe to form a proper contraction

Sorry Yelta... you left the door open on that one

Comment

Please don't hate on me for saying this. Coles brand. No joke. Unfortunately they may not be available again until Feb. Quality beans by a quality roaster in Melbs at a ridiculous price. High turnover so usually fairly fresh on the shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                  Almost as lazy as someone who couldn't be bothered using an apostrophe to form a proper contraction

Sorry Yelta... you left the door open on that one
                  G'Day Vinitasse, I was under the impression that possessive pronouns never use an apostrophe, however to keep the peace have changed it.

right back at ya.

Comment

Originally posted by danielb View Post
                    Please don't hate on me for saying this. Coles brand. No joke. Unfortunately they may not be available again until Feb. Quality beans by a quality roaster in Melbs at a ridiculous price. High turnover so usually fairly fresh on the shelves.
                    Don't think anyone hates anyone else on this forum Daniel, certainly not for expressing a preference, however if right now I run out of coffee and decide on your advice to run down to Coles to top up I could be in for a 4 month wait.

Comment

G'Day Vinitasse, I was under the impression that possessive pronouns never use an apostrophe, however to keep the peace have changed it.

right back at ya.
                      Right you are Yelta... possessive pronouns do not need apostrophes... however... the contraction of you and are is not a possessive pronoun

Thanks for editing your post... my eyes have stopped bleeding now

Comment

Originally posted by danielb View Post
                        Thanks Daniel, I'll check the local Coles next time tragedy strikes!

Comment

right back at ya.
                          cant / can't? - just sayin'

Comment

I will repeat what others have said, a coffee fast can really be a positive, don't waste precious money. If you do want to spend the money then yes certainly punish yourself by having to go to your favourite cafe.

I don't know where you are based, but here in Brisbane you might occasionally find beans that were roasted 5-6weeks ago from a local roastery (won't mention names) sitting on a bench at a local independent service station or grocer that shuts late. That is as far as I would ever go. Plan ahead ;-) I completely understand that feeling towards waiting for a bag of beans to arrive. I'm crazy and impulsive, but never enough to buy supermarket beans. Good luck!

Comment

Abstain! seriously, I'm not that dependent on coffee.

If and when it happens, and I can assure you its a very rare event, I treat it as an enforced coffee fast, when you do reach an oasis or get a new supply of beans, the break tends to make you appreciate a decent brew even more than usual.

It also teaches you the fact that it always pays to plan ahead.
                              I was actually going to abstain, this was one of the circumstances that led to the shortage, but at the last moment I decided this wasn't the time for abstinence. And yes, I paid the price for that change of mind!

Comment

Working...
                              X