• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's An Outrage!!!!

Good Food - Top restaurants turn to pod coffee

Should that title read?
    Good Food - Previously regarded top restaurants have turned to pod coffee

or maybe just have a tag-line...
    "Nespresso advertising pays our editorial staff wages so we dedicated 2/3rds of the article to how wonderful they are"

I did smirk at the potential ambiguity of:
    "anyone can use the pod machine knowing a coffee of consistent quality will result."
    ...CS'rs KNOW what sort of consistent quality will result.

To be fair to Megan Johnston late in the story she did speak to a couple of people who thought that a real machine was better and a quick scan of her twitter feed shows that the "foodie journalist" hasn't mentioned coffee or cafe in the last 12 months.
    ...I guess as a newbie you can't pick the stories you won't to cover.

Comment

They may as well serve microwaved frozen grub to keep everything consistent.

Comment

i particularly liked the quote from Age Good Cafe Guide editor Matt Holden - "[If] I went and paid $200 for degustation that was capped off with pod coffee I'd think that wasn't right."
        Oh really? Der Fred.....
        Last edited by stephen28; 28 October 2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I have never had good coffee in a restaurant so unfortunately I'm not really surprised at this. You would think that great restaurants - especially those serving a degustation menu - would try and make the coffee part of the experience. I could imagine going into a place like Attica and having a cold drip halfway through a brew being placed at your table near the start of the meal and when the berry based dessert course is being served, your cold drip yirgacheffe is simultaneously ready to drink alongside it. This exact procedure may not be viable but I'm sure there is a way to work with a speciality roaster on a coffee and dessert match that isn't necessarily reliant on espresso and adds to the theatre of a great night out.

Comment

I once went to apply for a job when I was starting out at a place which I saw had a Linea, with a good coffee brand, set up out the front in the morning. I then saw that in the afternoon, that was packed away and they served nespresso in the afternoon. I wasn't that desperate at the time!

Comment

I noticed ... having being appointed "culinary ambassadors" for Nespresso last year... i.e. they can be bribed. Says it all.

Also: "Maria Bortolotto, from Cecconi's, in Melbourne, says a few staff and customers have objected to pod coffee since the venue converted from a conventional machine to Nespresso's top-of-the-range Aguila model a year ago. Ultimately, however, the efficiency and consistency of a pod system outweighs such concerns." i.e. forget quality, just pay the bill...

Just proves that sometimes you do not get what you pay for!

TampIt
              PS: Using an all stainless pod machine (mostly in museums nowadays) and freshly roasted, ground coffee manually loaded into pods, they can actually be startlingly good... just blows the whole convenience thing out of the water. I will stay with my three espresso machines at home for now.

Comment

I wonder if any of those " top" restaurants use pods to make Affogato ?

Comment

I continue to be astonished that great restaurants will punctuate a terrific meal with appalling coffee.

It literally lets patrons leave with a sour taste in their mouths. The final memory of the meal.

Comment

Yep, one reason why I stick to Rutherglen Muscat at the end of the meal. Typically better coffee at lots of 'cheap and cheerful' Italian/pizza restaurants.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                      I continue to be astonished that great restaurants will punctuate a terrific meal with appalling coffee.

It literally lets patrons leave with a sour taste in their mouths. The final memory of the meal.
                      A large percentage of people wouldn't know a good meal if they fell over one, the same goes for coffee as we already know. That's why these establishments can get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                        Yep, one reason why I stick to Rutherglen Muscat at the end of the meal.
                        Rutherglen Topaque for me

Comment

Originally posted by kwantfm View Post
                          Rutherglen Topaque for me
                          Too hard for me to see through.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                            Too hard for me to see through.
                            You have no idea how much it irked me to write Topaque rather than Tokay

Comment

Outrage! nope, restaurants in Australia and many other parts of the world, typically, don't do coffee well (and whats more don't claim to, there are exceptions) we always have enjoyed our meal then moved on to another establishment for a coffee and or night cap, its all part of an enjoyable evening out.

Comment

Working...
                              X