green de-caf in Perth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green de-caf in Perth

is there anyone in the Perth area who would be wiling to sell us some green de-caf??
    looking for about 2kg...

L

Re: green de-caf in Perth

Hi Lizzie,

if you are going friday, then you would be able to grab some from 5 senses. Also just a warning that its very hard to roast.

Cheers

Terry

Comment

Agreed Terry... must take care... especially the SWP decaf.. they are very dark to start with... and roasting them to just into second (or at the very beginning) can be a challenge however will net you good results...

Comment

thanks, i will ask Dean about them on friday...and will let you know how i went with the roast!

L

Comment

hey lizzie... we have some natural decaf green beans at the moment (from 5 senses) - havent tried roasting them yet. if we end up having a little coffee-thing this saturday morning, well give them a trial

Comment

oww, too bad i cannot make it, guys... what a bugger!
            let me know how you went with the roasting, please... ?

L

Comment

Hi Lizzie, I got 5 kgs of columbian swiss water decaf today, roasted some up just into second crack, they were quite easy really, I thought they were going to be more difficult than that, going by the polls Ive been reading, they smell great and just cooled enough for a try.... got a chocolate aroma to them.... yummy.

I guess this means I can now have my excessive amount of coffees a day with out the guilt trip.... yippee.

Comment

Ray C, agreed... the Decaf just after roasting has a wonderful smell... nice buttery choc aroma... mmm.. yum

Comment

thanks people...
                  i got 2 kg of Colombian de-caf at 5 Senses today....will keep you posted about the roast!

according to Dean, the Colombian beans are de-caffed (what a word...) with a solution of citric acid in the water... you could still smell a whiff of "acidity" when you stirred the beans around in the barrel.
                  amazing, that such a process can result in "sweet" tasting coffee with a buttery choc aroma after roasting.... if it wasnt so dark outside i woud be roasting now!

L

Comment

roasted 200 gm of the Colombian de-caf this afternoon, did it in the stainless bowl with the heatgun, so i could hear the cracks better (BM makes too much noise for "quiet " beans.).
                    roasted to first crack in about 9 minutes, then rolling 1st for about 2 minutes, then 2nd crack, and stopped the roast after about 2 minutes rolling 2nd rack.
                    not a great deal of smoke, but the beans are quite dark brown, and some have a touch of oil.

and, Marc, you are right, they do smell sort of buttery-choc when they are roasted!
                    taste test tomorrow!

L

Comment

Working...
                    X