Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected Thailand Coffee Farm Visit

Hi Everyone

I have recently relocated from Melbourne to London via a 4 week stop over in Thailand. While there we did some trekking to the northern hill tribes near the Thai / Burma / Laos boarders and stumbled across a coffee plantation while on route.
    Upon arrival at the village I showed some interest the coffee trees (as any good CoffeeSnob would) and one of the locals went to a storage tub and showed me there stash. The greens where quite pale (I guess from the heat and humidity) and massive amounts of alien objects (and I thought the Yemen Ismaili was bad) like stones, stick and dried whole cherries.
    He grabbed about half a kilo of his greens, chucked them into a wok and we roasted coffee in a bamboo hut in the middle of the Thai jungle. After around 15mins (and much smiling and nodding, cause we couldn’t speak any common language) he went right through 2nd crack (despite my subtle suggestion they were done) he took the beans off and laid them to cool. A little while later we all shared a well earnt cup of charcoaled coffee, and it was wonderful.

I really wanted to know how they were processed however it was too difficult to communicate, I am guessing dried processed. It was also interesting some the village huts had there own personal coffee trees in a kind of green house. The trees were tiny in comparison to the plantation (which appeared much smaller than I had imagined).

Upon reflection my thoughts were how wonderful the experience was, the coffee was not great but it really brought people together. I think we sometimes get too bulked down in the intricacies of espresso, coffees shouldnt always be about the achievement of the god shot or the perfect rosetta. Coffee is universally treasured and can bring people together to share something in common, this was one of my greatest coffee experiences even though the coffee itself was poor.

Now if only I could work out how to attach photos....

Cheers
    Dan

Re: Unexpected Thailand Coffee Farm Visit

Wow Dan, what a fantastic experience.

To post your photos make sure they are reduced in size (for uploading) about 520k seems to be the best. At the bottom of the window in which you type your reply there is a little button that says choose file.

Hit that, and depending on what sort of computer you have a box may pop up where you just click on the picture, than upload and that should upload the photos off your computer.

The other option is to have a photobucket account, upload your pics from your computer to that and than copy and paste the image file doosy into the message box and barbaras your aunty.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1176850410/0#1 date=1176854871
      To post your photos make sure they are reduced in size (for uploading) about 520k seems to be the best. At the bottom of the window in which you type your reply there is a little button that says choose file.
      Cindy,

They dont need to be this big..... If your photos are sized down to a JPEG image that is 640x480 pixels or smaller with a 50% Quality setting, the resulting image is easily viewed then as a whole photo without the need to scroll around, plus the file ends up being quite small and quick to load....

Mal.

Comment

I resize all my pic to 640x480 and they are great you can use www.Imageshack.us to host the files and you dont need to create an account just copy the Hotlink for forums (1) and paste in your topic and it will display the pic they is also an option to resize it for you so it can t get any eassyer

Comment

The trees

Comment

Flowers

Comment

Half opened cherry

Comment

With the bean out, guess it was a pea berry.....

Comment

Now I have some idea what mine will look like when they flower etc.

Comment

they look like young trees or in poor condition... but I guess they are producing... great pics though... :-)

Comment

Marcstolk, yeah I think its a combination of both. These people literally live on the top of a hill in the middle of no where. They live in bamboo huts so I guess they have little resources to properly manage there coffee trees, there is no irrigation and it would have been something like 9 months between proper rains. They are not serious coffee producers its more of a way to produce for there own consumption with a little bit of cash on the side.
                      You are right though, they are a far cry from the pictures we see from South America.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience Dan... very cool indeed...

Comment

Working...
                        X