The God Shot and the State of Mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The God Shot and the State of Mind

Having been making good coffee now for around 16 months Ive had my fair share of hits and misses.
    Probably way more hits than misses, but around 98% have hit the spot.

A lot has been written about God shots too and Ive always wondered about them.

But I cant help but think the God Shot is really a state of mind more than the perfect pour, perfect SO or blend.

More often than not my best coffee of the day is my first coffee of the day. It more often than not really hits the spot and makes me one happy little camper Rarely will another during the day be as nice as the first one.

Sure a bad extraction and badly steamed milk can and do make for a bad drink, but Im thinking that to get the God Shot you only need a decent extraction and SO/blend and the right state of mind so that you think youve just had the best coffee ever

Belinda

Re: The God Shot and the State of Mind

I dont think Im as addicted to coffee as I was 2 years ago.

I went cold turkey the day before my brain surgery and didnt touch coffee again for 3 months.

Prior to that I was drinking several instants and a couple of cafe capps a day.

My first cup of the morning isnt necessarily the best shot of the day.

Maybe Im still not awake enough to make one as good as later in the day.

Comment

No way!

When you have a god shot, youll know

The god shot makes drinking 100 "good" coffees worthwhile!

Comment

Well Belinda, Ive been thinking a bit lately that sometimes the best shots also seem to be influenced by what else I have tasted/drunk/eaten in the last 2 or more hours before. Then sometimes the enjoyment of anything we eat or drink can be influenced by other external factors. If you are in special company and really enjoying it, do you tend to enjoy good coffee more than for example when youve just had a car accident, and the power bill came in way over budget, and your little angle/s are contending for the worst student at school award, and your cat/dog/budgie is financing the vets next holiday, or other similar stress raisers?

But one of the nicest lattes Ive made recently was during Easter when I was able to sleep in a bit, and then had my first coffee before I had had much else to eat or drink. Other similar extractions around the same time didnt seem as impressive, even though the beans, etc were the same.

Having said all that however there are definitely some (relatively rare) shots, whether they be drunk as poured or used as base for latte/cap that really do seem to stand out.

So in part I agree that it has something to do with state of mind, or state of whole body perhaps, and other times something to do with all the variables coming together in such a manner to produce something that is better than just good, its great. However Im not very good at describing why it was so great, which is another area that affects our judgment.

I guess the main thing is to enjoy most of what you do, and when a great shot comes along enjoy it even more.

Regards
        Bullitt

Comment

It has been said elsewhere, "Nothing tastes as good as the last mouthful of the first cup, or as bad as the first mouthful of the second cup."

Comment

True Bullitt. A coffee never tastes as good when you are stressed or maybe just not in a good mood for whatever reason.

Mood definitely does effect how good your coffee tastes, and having said that a nice coffee can also lift you out of a bad mood! Caffeine helps a bit there

And definitely what you have eaten or drunk recently affects its taste too.

I never have jam on toast for breaky now as its acidity totally destroys the taste of the coffee for up to about 2 hours afterwards.

Similarly if Im not feeling well I wont even feel like a coffee at all. Im sure everyone has similar stories.

Belinda

Comment

I think sometimes it is the "State of Mind" of the equipment.

When I need my hit in the morning I find it hard to decide which grinder and which group to use. When I dont need a hit (when I am rested) I can process my decision more clearly and arrive at a better result. There is definitley a God Shot and it is the chase for this that keeps us all going.

It may be like the perfect golf shot - hole in one (or in my case getting the ball in the air off the tee) You spend days and sometimes months and years walking around with more and more expensive equipment and then finally it happens, you get the hole in one and immediatley consider yourself in the company of Tiger Woods and Arnold Palmer until the next shot which hooks into the water.

Everything needs to be right at that particular moment. And I think sometimes it may actually be easier to score a hole in one.

James

Comment

I find that unless my PF is warmed up, my first shot always ends up in the sink. Using the same amount of grind and tamp, with a just-used PF, the next shot that I pull is properly extracted. Maybe I should just pump some hot water through the empty PF first before pulling a shot.

Lawrance

Comment

Personally, I reckon you can often "see" a god shot in the making during the extraction, then you get really excited and really make the effort to savour the ambience, arouma and flavour which of course all adds to the experience.

And even better,
                  Sometimes, you hit the brew switch and you just know by the way the pump sounds [in those seconds leading up to the flow] that its gonna be a ripper.
                  I love that feeling........

Yes, Tempestv8 the PF must be fully heated before you put coffee anywhere near it. Many say it should burn your finger if you touch the metal for a couple of seconds.
                  Despite manufactures claims that a machine can heat up in 90seconds, the reality is that the whole brew path incuding the PF needs to be heated, not just the water. This takes a good half hour or more to get there and most would agree that an hour is a good rule of thumb.

But those of us without timers, screaming hungry kiddies and an early morning start, all cheat a little by running hot water through the pf.

Comment

My machine is on a timer but even if not, running some water through the PF is definitely going to be better than not in your case tempestv8.

Comment

The God Shot :
                      is one excellent espresso, or strong short black filtered through filter paper, two or three coca cola capfuls of grappa and one sugar on a Friday afternoon after having taught year Ten English for 100 minutes.

I like teaching year nine or Ten English and even on a Friday arvo.
                      However, the week is finally over and that Cafe Coretto puts a great big smile on the inside. It beats crap out of Homer Simpsons Prozac milkshake.
                      It also makes me doubt atheism for a few minutes until my perfect faith in human reason is fullyrestored.
                      I have lined up ten teachers and made them one after the kids went home and we were to buggered to work on. We drank them. We smiled inside and outside. We went back to work. We achieved! None of us got picked up by the cops. Thankyou God. Amen Assabal.

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1176903940/0#0 date=1176903940
                        But I cant help but think the God Shot is really a state of mind more than the perfect pour, perfect SO or blend.
                        I cant help but think it is a combination of all that, Belinda. The perfect pour, the perfect roast, the machine at its optimum and definitely the operator being at their best, mentally as well perhaps! I guess its not called the "God Shot" for nothing!

Aim for nothing, get nothing. Aim for perfection, get perfection!

Comment

I think youve nailed it Scoota !!

It has to be a combination of everything to make it work.

Belinda

Comment

Working...
                          X